Talk

Advanced search

Should I continue expressing?

(5 Posts)
PretzelPrincess Thu 30-Apr-15 00:19:18

DS was born at 33 weeks and is now coming home at 35 weeks. I've been expressing milk to take to the hospital and he was tube fed and now bottle fed EBM. He's started to demand feed and will take breast or bottle.
I've been expressing every 3 hours and my supply is more than what DS needs so have been stocking up the freezer!
Question is once DS is home and we can breastfeed on demand do I need to continue expressing to keep my supply up? Or can I stop expressing as I don't really intend to bottle feed? So confused confused

PretzelPrincess Thu 30-Apr-15 15:40:03

Bump

CMOTDibbler Thu 30-Apr-15 15:49:02

Once they are confidently feeding direct all the time, then you can stop expressing.

Hope your ds does well smile - my 35 weeker never looked back once he was home, and fed till he was 23 months

Nightfall1983 Thu 30-Apr-15 15:50:35

Can I suggest you post this question in the infant feeding section of mumsnet where you will get lots of lovely breastfeeding experts to help. Short answer from a non-expert is that you should slowly reduce expressing in order to avoid discomfort and to ensure that your supply doesn't suffer but long term there is no reason to express of you don't want to use the milk. The.

minipie Thu 07-May-15 20:48:06

If he is feeding well from the breast then you shouldn't need to express, as he should demand enough to keep your supply at the right level for him.

Be careful about pumping too much, more supply isn't always a good thing - I found I had massive oversupply which actually made it harder for DD to feed, I think this was partly as a result of being on the hospital pumps for 3 weeks.

Congratulations on getting your son home smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now