Advanced search

Move to diff hospital. Can I say no?

(10 Posts)
icclemunchy Tue 20-Jan-15 09:19:58

Hi, my DD was born a week shonat 35 weeks, traumatic birth and very low sugar levels Ment she's been in scbu ever since and got an infection setting her back.

She doing much much better now however the hospital are wanting to transfer her to a hospital "closer" to our house. Although in miles it's nearer it'll take is much longer to get too and isn't our hospital of choice (hence I didng give birth there!!)

The impression from the staff is we have no choice but I was wondering if I can say no? Also I'm still an inpatient so I don't know how I'd be able to see her if she does move sad

OydNeverDeclinesGin Tue 20-Jan-15 09:28:52

You can always ask the scbu staff about remaining were you are but it's likely they need to free that bed up and so are transferring your daughter out as she doesn't need as high a level care, ask themto clarify for you.
As for your being an inpatient, speak to your midwife this morning. UIn my experience they will either transfer you also to the other hospital if you continue to require care, or discharge you if you don't.
Congratulations on your little one flowers

jellyhead Tue 20-Jan-15 09:48:16

It is standard to move babies back to the nearest hospital to their address when they are well enough to especially if you are moving from a hospital with intensive care facility's (level 3)
This means that a cot is available for the next baby requiring intensive care.
Even if your baby is in SCBU it means other babe's that are well enough can be transferred from ITU into those cots allowing admission spaces and allowing inductions on labour ward etc to go ahead.
As a mum you can choose where you give birth but it is the baby's health care need that determines what hospital the baby will be in.
Hospitals link in networks so one area has a hospital providing intensive care (level3) and other hospitals with special care (level 1)
It is rare to move baby and not the mum. If you can't be discharged they will aim to transfer you to the post natal ward
Hope all goes well with you both. Do speak to the SCBU staff so they k ow what is worrying you

icclemunchy Tue 20-Jan-15 10:09:02

As far as we can tell she'll be getting the same care at the new hospital as her needs arnt changing but it's proving difficult to find someone to speak to about it. Everyone we ask just says well the other hospital is closer to your house which doesn't really help :/

Is there someone specific I should ask to speak to about it (like a ward manager or something?) I get the impression I'm a bit of a pain in they're side because I like to know what's going on and none of the drs seem keen on telling us what they're Doing although the nurses fill us in as much as possible

jellyhead Tue 20-Jan-15 10:17:46

Ask to speak to the nurse in charge .
You aren't a pain wanting to know what is going on .
Your baby should also have a named consultant so you could ask to speak to them too or the matron for the unit.
Most of the time staff assume parents are happy for their baby to go back to the closest to home unit. Sometimes they may not realise it isn't necessarily closer to travel to though. Start with the nurse in charge smile

icclemunchy Tue 20-Jan-15 17:17:00

Thanks for your help. Managed to speak to the consultant and the reason for move is mainly because of follow up care. But because we'd rather travel to the hospital were currently in for any follow up anyway she's going to see what she can do smile

jellyhead Tue 20-Jan-15 18:04:11

That's good news.
Hope you and baby are home soon x

Compox Wed 21-Jan-15 08:00:52

We were moved 5 times (4 different hospitals) during the time my child was in SCBU. Each time they asked for permission, but it was made clear that despite our unhappiness they would move the baby anyway. It was one of the worst things about the whole SCBU experience.

icclemunchy Fri 30-Jan-15 22:32:35

Thanks for your help. We came home yesterday gringrin

In the end they let us stay, partly I think because we were so close to coming home anyway but partly because of a friendly spr and a chat with the family physiologist attached to the nicu about how much harder everything would be if we had to move

jellyhead Sun 01-Feb-15 08:48:35

Lovely you are home and didn't have the added stress of changing hospital. So pleased you updated your thread as I've been wondering how you've all been.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now