Talk

Advanced search

Preemie spent NYE in a&e

(5 Posts)
Mumtobenovember Thu 01-Jan-15 18:28:05

My preemie girl is 13 weeks actual and 5 weeks corrected she was born at 32 weeks.
She's had a cough for the last few days and then cold like symptoms started yesterday.. Last night her breathing was very unusual she was sucking in under her ribs quite a lot and was taking more breaths.. We called 111 who sent an ambulance and then we spent the night in the children's hospital so she could be observed. We where told she had bronchiolitis a mild case but this could worsen as it's only day 2. We where sent home, she still isn't right coughing and breathing strangely- does anyone have any experience of this I'm so worried I can't relax or sleep sad

FishWithABicycle Thu 01-Jan-15 18:34:39

I don't have any experience of a preemie with symptoms like this. I do know that even with a full-term 50th-centile-weight baby whose bronchiolitis did get bad, the people at your a&e/ooh/gp will not mind for a moment you taking your baby in to be checked and have lungs listened too. Every single person there would far rather reassure and send home 20 worried mums whose babies are going to get better soon on their own than have the one worried mum whose baby needs help to get better have any doubts about coming in. Even if you get sent home again, it is still the right thing to do to get your baby checked over if you are worried, because while you aren't a medical professional your instincts are the best monitor of your baby's health available.

KiaOraOAotearoa Thu 01-Jan-15 18:38:39

When mine was a baby and I wasn't sure, I had her on my chest, constantly. She eventually synced her breathing with mine, being more or less upright also helped.
Nobody, and I mean nobody is going to ignore you if you say you have a child with funny breathing. Please don't feel uneasy about just walking into A&E for peace of mind, or calling an ambulance as many times as you wish.

CyclopsBee Fri 02-Jan-15 22:28:29

Bronciolitis is extremely common at this time of year, especially with preemies,
If she is still recessing (sucking in under her ribs) or making a grunting sound I would take her back to a and e or at least, the GP
She may need abit of help with oxygen for a few hours as they get tired very quickly when they have breathing problems
Best wishes

Dildals Wed 07-Jan-15 14:12:23

You are right to be worried about your preemie and bronchiolitis, even though it is common. If she's in respiratory distress she should really be seen. The GP is normally more than happy to see a baby on short notice. He/she can prescribe an inhalator as well.

Don't be afraid to call on the medical services, they are there to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now