Talk

Advanced search

Jaundice newborn or mixed race?

(22 Posts)
Myablack Wed 31-Dec-14 22:33:16

This is my 2 week old prem who was born at 33 weeks so is in Nciu and is coming out tomorrow (yay) this photo was taken today. I'm concerned because on two occasions two different nurses told me they noticed he looked very orange and that they would consult the doctor later. The doctor came in and took one look at him and just said "nope not jaundice at all" and went.
​he had jaundice when he was first born which he had treatment for. I'm just concerned because the nurses made a big deal out of it and the doctor barely looked at him and dismissed the concerns.
​one of the nurses asked if I had any "exotic blood" (I'm white) my husband is half Jamaican and half white but he is very light skin for someone mixed race. Do you think this could be the cause of why my baby appeared the colour he is in the photo or should I ask for bloods?

AtrociousCircumstance Wed 31-Dec-14 22:35:17

He's absolutely gorgeous smile Congratulations.

Ask for a second opinion tomorrow morning.

Myablack Wed 31-Dec-14 22:36:56

Here's another

fairgame Wed 31-Dec-14 22:37:01

Is there a yellow tinge to the whites of his eyes? That's usually a good sign of jaundice. He is very lovely smile

WiggleGinger Wed 31-Dec-14 22:39:56

On app so can't see pics but agree with checking eyes.

There's a scanner thingy (technical) that they use to check do ask them to do that tomorrow.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 31-Dec-14 22:42:05

I can't see the pictures as in on my phone, but if you press the end of his nose, does he still look a bit yellow when you take the pressure away?

I'd probably get a second opinion. Untreated jaundice can be very serious. In the meantime, feed, feed, feed! It helps clear it out.

Jenny2014 Wed 31-Dec-14 22:57:36

Could do no harm asking for bloods. It takes seconds and the reading is given immediately. As others have said fluid helps flush it out, so maybe see what you think in the morning. A doctor will have to see you to discharge your beautiful son, so if you've spoken to the nurses and they say it's unnecessary don't feel like you can't say it to the doctor too. Mums know best, so discuss all of your concerns - if nothing else it helps give you peace of mind.

Congratulations, I hope you get to enjoy your little one properly at home tomorrow.

rubyflipper Wed 31-Dec-14 23:02:30

He's gorgeous!
Ask for a second opinion. We thought our mixed race son's skin colour was normal when he was born - a blood test showed that he was jaundiced.

summerdreams Thu 01-Jan-15 00:25:36

Just see this and it's almost identical to when my son was born same colouring same gestation I'm qaurter as my dad was mixed race and ex partners white will try upload a pic but my son just seemed so dark they did so many jaundice test he was shades and shades darker then me but his colour did sort its self out a few weeks after coming home Aslong as bloods are ok probs not jaundice prEemies take a while to sort there colour out. Congratulations on the beautifull baby by the way flowers

summerdreams Thu 01-Jan-15 00:28:39

Here's one will try find better

summerdreams Thu 01-Jan-15 00:33:21

1st pics 2 weeks 2nd 3 weeks and the 3rd is today 5 months much less orange colour does sort its self out I had all the drs sure he was jaundiced and me because I didn't believe my son could be that colour

Mrsgrumble Thu 01-Jan-15 00:35:25

Oh my goodness,what a beauty

Congratulations

I would always get another opinion to be on the safe side.

summerdreams Thu 01-Jan-15 00:40:10

Sorry to keep posting but here an even more yellow one I forgot how different he looked

lem73 Thu 01-Jan-15 00:46:16

I don't see any signs of jaundice from the photos. All three of my dcs had jaundice and are of mixed ethnicity. I remember being told that after 14 days jaundice isn't a worry but that was when ds2 was born 12 years ago.
He's a cutie btw.
Ps a good health visitor would do a test just to reassure you.

Annbag Thu 01-Jan-15 14:13:15

When I was in hospital they told me about 90% of preemies have jaundice so it's very common. I'd get a heel blood test done to be sure, as a little bit is ok, but they need to know the level.

I had similar to you in that a lot of my family are darker skinned (Romany) but I'm pale and freckly. Always confuses people and my son is darker than me, but was also jaundiced!

YokoUhOh Thu 01-Jan-15 14:16:04

He's beautiful. He also reminds me of DS, who was jaundiced. As long as it's not above a certain level, it'll gradually fade away; definitely ask for the heel prick test in case. Congratulations!

feelingunsupported Thu 01-Jan-15 14:21:10

My ds had lots of jaundice tests - the doctors concluded that he was 'just a funny colour'

Dp and I are both white.

The nurses did the jaundice tests I think.

ReallyTired Thu 01-Jan-15 14:24:02

Congratulations.

I think the little boy looks a bit jaundiced, but only a blood test would show if treatment is necessary. Midwives look at the whites of the eyes, the palms of the hands and the finger nails of a naturally dark skinned baby.

The livers of all newborn babies have to work really hard. Sometimes early babies or small babies do get a bit of jaundice.

GlitzAndGigglesx Thu 01-Jan-15 14:27:42

He's gorgeous but you already know that! My dd is half black half white and 2 HV's said she had jaundice when she was weeks old but nothing was mentioned after giving birth. Our GP said she looked fine too. I think it's due to their colouring.

CyclopsBee Fri 02-Jan-15 22:22:46

I'm a neonatal nurse and from the photos I don't think he looks yellow, BUT
There is a very simple blood test that can be done, all that's needed is a couple of drops of blood, the results are instant and I can't believe nobody will do this test, especially as you are due to go home,
By the way, congratulations, he's gorgeous thanks

Rivercam Fri 02-Jan-15 22:39:32

Congratulations - gorgeous baby! Hope your worries are resolved tomorrow.

UntamedByName Wed 14-Jan-15 13:50:57

Sorry I'm posting this very late, but a lot of NICU nurses were also confused by my 29-seeker DS's yellowish colour, as DH and I are both white. He was checked for jaundice several times but was fine. He stayed this gorgeous tanned colour for about 6 or 7 months, I think, before settling down to a shade that's more similar to my colouring. I used to think other white babies looked really pale and sickly smile

Your baby is gorgeous, BTW!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: