Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

gift for perm baby / mother

(10 Posts)
sleepdodger Mon 18-Aug-14 20:06:34

I would like to send a friend a present for her tiny daughter born at 24 weeks, now a few weeks old, but not sure whats appropriate - she's very poorly, and in good care but not an ideal situation.
are there any perm mums who received a gift which was thoughtful or helpful? I know she has tiny hats already, and don't want to overload her with 'stuff'
thanks

PartyConfused Mon 18-Aug-14 20:14:51

My dd was a 29 weeker. I had very very few gifts compared to dd1 and this really hurt.
Get her a card and maybe some flowers (for mum). For dd, if you don't want to do clothes (mothercare, amazon and a lot if supermarkets do prem stuff) the a little teddy? Or if you want to be practical, micro nappies (available in supermarkets), cotton wool, nappy sacks and cotton buds were useful when in hospital.

Babies still in nicu (I assume as you say she is poorly) were hats and vests at a push. The babygros etc come when they get upgraded to scbu.

Oh bless you. Anything woukd please your friend. It's the thought that counts. A friend sent me a hamper of stuff (clothes in various prem sizes) and it came in the post in a big box. I was over the moon (but may have cried buckets!).

PartyConfused Mon 18-Aug-14 20:15:43

*wear

Too many typos...

Summerdaydreams Mon 18-Aug-14 20:33:58

A zaky infant pillow for the baby was one of the most thoughtful things our baby was given (27 weeks and very poorly). It is in the shape of a hand and designed to imitate the presence of a mothers hand, when she cannot be there. Not sure whe my friend got it but is on google search.

For mummy, just knowing you are there there for her is the best present, help with day to day chores and a shoulder to cry on or maybe a hamper of easy to cook meals.

minipie Fri 22-Aug-14 12:56:07

Bit of a late response, but I'd say presents for the parents may be more useful at this stage - if you are nearby batch cooked meals or posh ready meals are very handy. Nice snacks to take to hospital. Hand cream and lip balm is great as NICU really dries you out. If you have any breastfeeding tops you could lend, they would be useful (if your friend is trying to express). A congratulations card def. A text every so often to say hello - it's nice to know people are thinking of you (though they may not have time to reply much). Totally agree it's the thought that counts. Hope they are both ok.

NewToAllThis11 Mon 25-Aug-14 21:57:12

Good handcream, chocolate and a diary were what I valued.

eurochick Mon 25-Aug-14 22:01:06

My baby was discharged a couple of weeks ago. Things I did or would have found useful:

Unscented good hand cream
Portable snacks (we were always running out of change for the hospital vending machines)
Small furry toys for the baby that your friend can sleep with and then leave in the incubator so the baby has her scent.

bubblegum27 Fri 29-Aug-14 14:24:31

I had a diary I used to write in daily and a little box I kept under the incubator to collect little bits and pieces in. for mum snacks as the others have said, someone bought me a bag full of ready made sandwiches fruit and ready meals and it really helped me! then when baby goes home some nice sleepsuits outfits etc.
so...
diary
memory box
food for mum

MiniMaks Sat 29-Nov-14 18:59:44

My daughter was born at 25 weeks and she also didn't receive many gifts.

What I truly appreciated during this difficult time were phone calls, texts, huggs and cards. Unfortunately we did not receive many and I learnt who my true friends were. Cards are very important as you can come back to them every time. Clothes are also a nice gift but bear in mind a current baby's age/weight and fact that most extreme premature babies are discharged from NICU weighting between 5-7.5lbs. I would be also very happy to receive a book Preemies Parents Companion - excellent book that I bought for myself ... Baby shawl for future bonding is also a good idea but quite pricey. Hope that helps...

MiniMaks Sat 29-Nov-14 19:01:02

And I back bubblegum27, a diary is a must on NICU....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now