Talk

Advanced search

Development at 3 years

(4 Posts)
goomum Thu 25-Nov-10 21:50:59

Hi I wonder if any old timers out there with toddlers that were once premature babies can advise me. My son is now 3 years 4 months and was born at 34 weeks. He did not need ventilation and was discharged home after 10 days in SCBU.

His development has been normal in all areas except one. He has weak gross motor skills and poor balance. It is not really bad like you would notice it when he walks or anything, but he can't really jump at all and definitely can't jump off a small step. He falls over at least 5 times a day and when he falls he doesn't compensate or break his fall so topples like a tree. He can't stand on one leg and only started running a couple of months ago. He walked at 18 months. Nursery has commented that he cannot use pedals on the trikes or balance on a plank without holding someone's hand. It is not majorly obvious but he is starting to fall further behind his peers. I also have noticed a huge difference between him and my younger son who is now 15 months and has better balance despite normal toddler precariousness. He always breaks his falls and lands on his bottom and never seems to get bruises like my older son.

By contrast my son's fine motor skills are fine. He can hold a pen and cutlery and use scissors.

Really it is only becoming an issue because my son is starting to get very fearful of parks or soft play places- anywhere that is physical where he could fall. The fear is rationale really cos he does get so many bruises from falling over.

I just wondered if this is par for the course for prem babies and whether we should have it looked into or am I being over-anxious and he will catch up later?

MarionCole Thu 25-Nov-10 21:57:52

My DS is 3.6, he wasn't premature. We have just had an assessment though because I was worried about his gross motor skills. He can't jump, has only just started to run. Fine motor skills are fine. The paediatrician said that he is still within normal range for his age but that playing running/jumping games on the grass should help his confidence. Sounds to me as though your DS should be within normal too, especially if he was prem. If you are concerned though, might be worth seeing a HV who might refer you?

crazymum53 Sat 04-Dec-10 12:30:28

Development issues with being premature are only really an issue if born at 30 weeks or under. If you have any concerns see you HV or GP and they may refer you for further checks to see if there is a problem or not.
My dd was born at 27 weeks and we had regular hospital check ups until she was 4 when the doctors decided she had caught up with the rest of her age group. I would ask soon as early intervention is usually a good idea. My dd needed help with speech and was very pleased that this happened before she started school.
Hope this helps.

jjkm Wed 08-Dec-10 22:42:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now