Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant with subclinical hypothyroidism

(1 Post)
Spideryplant Thu 11-Apr-19 12:36:16

I'm still a bit in shock so apologies if this comes out jumbled.

DP and I just started TTC last month. Currently in tww. Unrelated to conception/pregnancy I had blood tests done a few weeks ago which I just called to get back yesterday (could have done it weeks earlier but forgot which I am obviously kicking myself about now). My TSH level (thyroid stimulating hormone - if it's too high it suggests your body isn't producing enough thyroid) is 4.9 which apparently is marginally high, and the notes just said I should talk to the gp about it at my next appointment. Of course I googled it and apparently while normal TSH levels are 0.4-4, for pregnant women they should be 0.4- 2.5, and levels over 4 are linked to higher rates of miscarriage and still birth, and lower iq if child is actually born alive. This seems to be the case even if the mother begins taking additional thyroid as soon as she finds out (one study showed the average iq of a child born to a mum with TSH over 4 to be 94 if she hadn't had treatment, and 97 if she had, both of which are significantly lower than population average). Official NHS advice is to delay TTC until TSH is reduced to the right level.

Of course, my initial thought was fuck, I wish I had known about this before TTC, and I stopped hoping against hope that I was pregnant and started hoping that I wasn't. Did a test just now and of course it's a BFP.

I don't even know what I'm asking really.. I was really excited about the possibility of conceiving and now I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience/knowledge about this? I have an appointment booked with the doctor tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »