Talk

Advanced search

Medical abortion

(18 Posts)
namechangeob Thu 04-Apr-19 13:24:28

Obviously I've name changed for this.
I went to BPAS clinic yesterday to take the first tablet. They gave me the 6 tablets to take home and I inserted the first 4 Vaginally (as directed) at 11:45. I'm just wondering how long people have waited for it to start working? Im worried that it won't work and I'll have to have further procedures, not because I'm worried about surgery but I have a 2yo and an 8yo and the logistics of me having surgery would be complicated. I just want it to be over and done with, the waiting is killing me. I was 5+1 if that makes any difference.

This is definitely the right choice for me, I don't regret it or feel overly emotional, maybe that's cold of me but I just can't.

namechangeob Thu 04-Apr-19 14:09:58

Anyone?

feelingeverythingallatonce Thu 04-Apr-19 17:28:30

I can't offer any advice from personal experience but I hope someone else can help you. Hope it's all over for you soon OP thanks

namechangeob Thu 04-Apr-19 17:45:33

@feelingeverythingallatonce thank you, it's just the unknown that makes you worry. It's clearly started but it doesn't seem too bad so now I'm worried it's not working properly. It's a shit position to be in but the other option was simply not an option.

pessimisticstateofperception Thu 04-Apr-19 17:51:18

I had one last year when I was a little over 5 weeks.

I had to stay in hospital for the duration.

I went in at around 8am, it started working at around 11, I was home and it was done by 6pm.

I went back the next day for a scan to double check and it had gone.

I was fine, it wasn't pleasant, but it certainly wasn't awful. Apart from the one day in the hospital I worked throughout, and felt ok.

I have never regretted it or felt anything other than relief.

Hope you're goes as well as can be expected for you. Look after yourself op flowers

Elzbells Thu 04-Apr-19 17:55:56

I was only 5 weeks and it took 24 hours to start properly and even then was only like a period. Hardly had any pain, just minor gripes.

I wasn't convinced it had worked but the follow up test was clear and I'm 2 years on so it clearly did.

feelingeverythingallatonce Thu 04-Apr-19 18:15:56

I've heard from others that have had a pill termination that the earlier on in the pregnancy you are, the less painful it is. So that might be the case too x

feelingeverythingallatonce Thu 04-Apr-19 18:17:19

I'm not saying that is the case for everyone though, each experience is different on it's own x

namechangeob Thu 04-Apr-19 18:28:03

Thank you everyone. I feel "better" so I'm thinking it has passed, still bleeding which is a good sign I think. I'm shocked at how easy it was, almost feel like a fraud. It really isn't worse than a heavy period.

whatamidoingwithmylife Thu 04-Apr-19 18:50:11

Glad you're feeling better. Do you have to go back to the clinic for a scan or anything?

I was 12wks when I had mine so had to stay in the hospital - awful pains, reaction to the injections etc. Was pretty traumatic but once everything had passed it was amazing how easy it was to get on with things as normal.

Don't do anything too strenuous for a few days and everything should be fine thanks.

namechangeob Thu 04-Apr-19 20:00:23

Oh that sounds awful @whatamidoingwithmylife. Luckily I found out early so I've been able to stay at home. I'll only have to go back if I think it hasn't worked. They've given me a HCG test to take in 2 weeks to make sure those levels are gone. Thank you

namechangeob Thu 04-Apr-19 20:25:17

May I ask how long everyone bled for afterwards?

pessimisticstateofperception Thu 04-Apr-19 21:02:14

I bled for around a week, the first day very heavily, then it was no worse than a period after that.

namechangeob Thu 04-Apr-19 22:11:00

@pessimisticstateofperception thank you!

whatamidoingwithmylife Fri 05-Apr-19 09:14:08

That's great that you can just stay at home and take the test.
I was advised to be wary for around 3 to 4 weeks about infection etc.

I bled for around a month on and off but nothing horrendous. If you bleed heavily after the first week or so, they'll likely want you to go back in to test for infection/check you passed everything.

namechangeob Sat 06-Apr-19 09:50:09

Did anyone else feel a bit rough afterwards? I'm sure it's completed but I feel exhausted and a bit weak. I'm wondering if it's normal or not? I've read that some people feel tired after for a few days. I'm sure I don't have an infection as no temperature or pain, I just feel like I've not slept

Elzbells Sat 06-Apr-19 15:30:10

I think I just slightly crashed afterwards because it had been 2 weeks of stressing and thinking and trying to make the right decision.

Afterwards I just felt wrung out and exhausted.

namechangeob Sat 06-Apr-19 21:07:35

@Elzbells that's exactly how I feel! Glad to know it's not abnormal, thanks for replying. DH is being brilliant and has done everything with the kids in tow while I've rested/slept and has fed me up and brought me drinks. Feeling a bit better now just tired.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »