Talk

Advanced search

So much pain after medical abortion

(7 Posts)
Suchanidiot123 Tue 26-Feb-19 22:35:53

I hope I don't appear insensitive and I don't want to scare anyone who's thinking about having a medical abortion but I'm desperate for advice.
So I had the first tablet this morning at the hospital and the nurse sent me home with the other 4 tablets to insert 8 hours later at home along side some co codamols.
I inserted the tablets at 6 and took 2 painkillers. Half 6 I started getting horrendous cramps. It honestly feels like labour contractions. I've taken another 2 co codamols but they're not touching it. I didn't expect it to be this bad. I'm normally good with pain. Have had natural labours etc. But I am climbing the walls right now. I get about a minute respite before the pain starts building up again. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to ease this please

Florencenotflo Tue 26-Feb-19 22:43:01

I took the same tablets after a MMC, it is pretty brutal unfortunately. Your body may well be gearing up (for want of a better phrase) a clear out. After a few hours of cramping I started bleeding a lot but also had quite bad diarrhoea. It did settle down after a while but I can only suggest you take all the pain killers you can and try and make your self comfortable. I found codeine worked well but you can't take it for too long.

Suchanidiot123 Tue 26-Feb-19 22:49:22

Thank you for replying. I'm sorry to hear about your mmc. It's helped knowing this will come to an end. I can take more I can take more painkillers in a couple of hours but hoping the worst be over by then x

JuniperNarni Tue 26-Feb-19 22:53:13

Whatever painkillers you're allowed a hot water bottle if you've got one and try and sleep.
For me the pain had eased when I woke up after a few hours. Worst pain I've ever been through.

Suchanidiot123 Tue 26-Feb-19 23:00:27

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience to but it has helped me to know it can be normal. I done quite a lot of research and most of what I found mentioned very heavy bleeding but the pains just being a bit worse than period pain. The nurse also said to me it would only be mild so think I'm just shocked at how severe these cramps are.
Sat with a hot water bottle now which has helped a bit x

Imperfectsusan Tue 26-Feb-19 23:01:39

I wonder if you should call for advice? I know two people who had one recently and both separately said it wasn't too bad at all, and easier than expected.

Poor you, though. Do take the pain relief.

Ftumch Tue 26-Feb-19 23:04:00

Can you take some ibuprofen too? And heat will help. I've had a medical abortion, and the pain wasnt as bad as full term labour in my experience.
If the pain is that bad, bearing in mind you have laboured before and know what it's like, call 111 and get advice. I don't want to worry you, but it's better to be safe.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »