Talk

Advanced search

Help please! What would you do? Opinions needed

(7 Posts)
Question50 Wed 20-Feb-19 18:25:58

I have just found out that I am 6 weeks pregnant and am desperately in need of some advice.
I am a 25 year old student nurse in my first year of university, who has found herself pregnant. I have a great relationship with my boyfriend of 5 years, who works full time. We don't live together, and money is our main concern about this pregnancy. We don't know if we will be able to afford to rent and survive on one low wage, especially with a child and the cost of childcare etc. We have some savings but not a massive amount. I am also concerned that if I continue with this pregnancy I will be unable to finish my course. I am desperate to become a nurse and have worked so hard to get this far. I am currently thinking about finishing year 1 and then taking a year out, before returning to complete my studies, but don't know if this is unrealistic. I am also (selfishly) worried about continuing with this pregnancy due to worrying about lifestyle changes- I am worried about missing out on holidays, travel, parties etc. None of my friends have children, and although I am 25 it just feels so young to be bringing a child into the world.
However, we have great family support and I am desperate to become a mum one day. I am worried about my future fertility, what if this is our only chance to become parents.
My boyfriend is quite keen for me to have an abortion, however he has said that he will support me and we will make it work either way. I am currently booked in to have an abortion next week, but I feel like I really need other people's opinions about what to do in this situation. We can't talk to anyone else about this, so please please, what would you do if this was you? Is there anything else that I need to consider. I know this is a decision for us / me, but I feel so confused. Help please!!

User1053051066 Wed 20-Feb-19 18:27:54

You font need anyone else's opinion. You'll do fine. But don't cut yourself up about either choice- I'm sure you know what's right for you.

Whisky2014 Wed 20-Feb-19 18:28:10

Hmm I do think you will miss out and really isn't great timing for your studies. But really, only you can make the decision..

Will you have support/help?

justanotherwave Wed 20-Feb-19 18:40:46

I think it would be a good idea for you both to sit down and really talk deeply through everything and how you both feel and go from there. It's a decision only you can make, but they do say having a termination will not affect your future fertility (it's rare if it does). You have to do what's best for you. Good luck x

lunabody Wed 20-Feb-19 18:49:37

Why are you worried about your future fertility? Is it general worry or specific to a condition?

If I were in your situation, I wouldn't continue the pregnancy. If it doesn't feel like the right time - and you have plenty of time - then don't do it, but I can totally understand what a tough decision it is thanks

Whisky2014 Wed 20-Feb-19 18:56:54

Yes, the worry about future fertility.ehats that all about? So many of my friends have said "I dont think i can have kids" but havent actively tried and none had any problems conceiving. Its all in the mind

Question50 Wed 20-Feb-19 21:07:31

Yes lots of family support but still such a tough decision.
And no fertility problems known, just always a worry I suppose.
Thanks so much for all your help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »