Talk

Advanced search

12 weeks Surgical termination with twins

(22 Posts)
Excusemyfrench Sun 27-Jan-19 14:21:46

Im having a surgical termination with identical twins this Wednesday. Its all very sad...
Anyway the sedation/ GA option meant I had to wait nearly another 2 weeks so I opted to do it under local anaesthetic. Im really nervous. Has anyone been through something similar?

The MW told me I would be fine and able to drive home, which reassured me.

Any advice?
Xx

reesesnlove Sun 27-Jan-19 14:39:23

I haven't experienced what you are going through exactly but something similar. I had a termination at 10+4 with a single pregnancy. The pain afterwards was surprisingly minimal and it was very much like a period. I was in no excruciating or particularly uncomfortable pain afterwards and bleeding didn't start until a good few hours after the procedure was completed and I was home. I'm sorry you're going through this but I hope everything goes well for you. I'm here if you want to talk thanks

Excusemyfrench Mon 28-Jan-19 11:16:30

Hi @reesesnlove thank you so much for you message, its really reassuring.
Did you also have a local anaesthetic on your cervix? ( as opposed to sedation/ general anaesthetic).

Cant wait for this to be over, it has been such an emotional time.

WarIsPeace Mon 28-Jan-19 11:22:06

I've no experience of termination but I've had local anaesthetic to the cervix for a procedure before and it worked really well. Hope everything goes smoothly for you

reesesnlove Mon 28-Jan-19 12:09:54

@Excusemyfrench sorry I had general anaesthetic so I'm not much help. But I've heard positive stories from other women that have had local during a termination. Please let us know how you get in and if you have any other questions just ask smile thinking of you x

reesesnlove Mon 28-Jan-19 12:10:32

*get on, I meant to say. It is a really hard time but it gets easier, take good care of yourself OP x

TheTroutofNoCraic Mon 28-Jan-19 12:45:58

flowers I'm sorry you are having to go through this. It's a difficult enough decision to make without having this added worry on top of it.
I imagine that it would be straightforward and discreet enough, otherwise they wouldn't offer this service.
Perhaps you could take in one of those sleep eyemasks and headphones with some soothing music if you don't want to experience anything that might cause flashbacks?

reesesnlove Mon 28-Jan-19 13:00:41

@TheTroutofNoCraic I agree, that's some really good advise and I think what you've suggested would be a good idea if OP feels she would benefit from that smile

Excusemyfrench Mon 28-Jan-19 13:37:35

Good idea, I will get some headphones thank you!

Excusemyfrench Mon 28-Jan-19 13:56:46

Thank you @WarIsPeace thats good to know.

mommymooo Mon 28-Jan-19 15:58:09

I had a surgical removal at10 weeks was surprisingly ok. Went in went through all the medical stuff went down for the general anaesthetic. After I came round I went home on the afternoon. Was a bit sore but nothing some paracetamol and ibuprofen can't handle. Forward a few days would never knew it happened.
I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hugs and love.

Sleeplikeasloth Mon 28-Jan-19 21:17:18

I remember some of your other posts love, are you OK, and are you sure about this? Because if it's because you are worried something will go wrong with the pregnancy, then I really think the answer is to try and get help managing your anxiety. And if it's because twins are an extra challenge that you weren't anticipating, then could you get additional support. I say this as you sounded like you really did want a baby, but were daunted by the idea of two.

Excusemyfrench Tue 29-Jan-19 12:59:11

@Sleeplikeasloth thank you for your sweet message and spotting all my desperate messages! It has been a bit of a turmoil and its been easier to seek advice from people who actually have ID twins rather than friends as I wanted a clear picture of what I was heading into.
I have been very anxious but also feel confident with my risk assessment of the situation. This could all go well but if it doesnt, it will have life long consequences for everyone in my family. And right now my children are my priority and I just dont want to take a gamble. Identical twins who share a placenta and have complications is a complexe situation and on the balance of things I just dont think its the right choice for us.
I am sad and feel huge amounts of guilt but also feel a ton of relief knowing we could be dodging heaps of pain. Not sure all this makes sense... but anyway thank you for your concern and support. I cant wait for tomorrow to be over xx

reesesnlove Wed 30-Jan-19 07:41:08

Good luck today @Excusemyfrench, I will be thinking of you and hoping everything goes as smoothly as possible. Sending hugs thanks

anniehm Wed 30-Jan-19 07:42:45

I had no sedation or even local anaesthetic, didn't hurt at all.

cindersrella Wed 30-Jan-19 07:50:32

I am not 100% sure but pretty sure that surgical pregnancy removals are done with a general anaesthetic. My sister asked if she could be awake and they told her no. I would double check..

reesesnlove Wed 30-Jan-19 10:10:11

@cindersrella my friend had a surgical termination at 14 weeks and she was allowed to be awake for that but said she didn't feel anything at all really, and it was over in minutes. But different areas may have different rules for it, I'm not sure

TheTroutofNoCraic Wed 30-Jan-19 11:17:45

Thinking of you today OP...Hope all goes well flowers

Excusemyfrench Thu 31-Jan-19 07:30:49

Hi all. Thank you for all your messages of support yesterday.
Procedure went well and I got home around 7pm. Today the bleeding seems quite minimal so is the pain.

HOWEVER a word of caution: the procedure itself was extremely brutal and traumatic. The staff was lovely and kind, but I dont understand people who said this was painless? I have 2 children and had 2, 30hour labours and this went right up there with something I will never forget.
It was quick (maybe 5 full minutes) but wow. I was screaming. The nurses and doctors were very supportive and told me that I did well and that it is indeed very painful. After the procedure you have strong period cramps for about 10 mins and then things settles relatively quickly.
But I now understand why they offer a general anaesthetic/ sedation and recommend you do that instead of doing the local anaesthetic.

To finish on a positive note, I m so relieved this is over and are 100% sure I made the right choice and cant wait to get back to my normal life.
Thank you for all your kind words and advice

cindersrella Thu 31-Jan-19 11:21:35

I am glad you feel you made the right decision, I hope you start to feel better now. X

TheTroutofNoCraic Thu 31-Jan-19 22:15:01

That must have been awful for you. I hope you have lots of RL support around you and are being well looked after.
I'm glad you have the procedure behind you now and can move forward. x

reesesnlove Fri 01-Feb-19 00:20:13

@Excusemyfrench how horrible, I'm sorry you had to experience that. I hope you have a speedy recovery and remember to take it easy and take lots of care of yourself. I'm glad it's all over for you now and you can move onwards and upwards x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »