Talk

Advanced search

Waiting times for abortions

(8 Posts)
charlyn Tue 01-Jan-19 18:27:38

I was just wondering how long is normal to wait for an abortion? I Rang bpas at 5 weeks pregnant but the first available appointment is for when I’m 8 and a half weeks so I’m waiting over 3 weeks sad.

That’s just for the consultation too and I was hoping for a surgical abortion but now I’m worried it’s going to be another long wait for that. Bpas is the only option in my area too.

Really struggling with the wait especially now the morning sickness has kicked in sad.

purplepingu Tue 01-Jan-19 22:06:14

Can you try ringing them again and see if there's an alternative clinic you can visit or any cancellations?

charlyn Wed 02-Jan-19 18:50:32

I’m actually already 7 and a half weeks now so only another week to go. I wish my appointment was for the actual abortion not the consultation but bpas makes you have at least 2 appointments before they will do a surgical. I’m just worried it’s going to be another long wait until the abortion.

After doing some research I’ve discovered a Marie stopes clinic in a town I could get to by train. I’m thinking of calling them to see what the waiting times are like but scared that if I make an appointment with them then bpas will find out and cancel my appointment.

purplepingu Mon 07-Jan-19 21:06:58

Did you manage to get seen quicker at Marie Stopes or are you still waiting for your BPAS appointment?

ColonelK Mon 07-Jan-19 21:16:33

Is there a Pregnancy Options centre in your area?

blankiesandunicorns Mon 07-Jan-19 22:27:30

Just wanted to post and say I feel your frustration. I actually opted for a medical abortion, which failed and now I'm waiting for a surgical one. By the time I have that I will be 9 weeks and been waiting 5 weeks. It's felt like forever and really difficult mentally and physically

charlyn Thu 10-Jan-19 22:03:25

I decided to stick with my BPAS appointment which was on Tuesday. They actually offered the medical option there and then but I didn’t want to go that route although if I’d been offered it when I was under 7 weeks I probably would have done.

I was measuring 8+6 apparently. I’ve opted for the surgical termination and they’ve given me a date for next week so a 9 day wait which isn’t as bad as I thought it might be. The clinic I went to only do surgical abortions one day a week so a bit worried about it being cancelled and then struggling to get an appointment.

Fingers crossed it goes ahead though I’m feeling anxious and sad about it. The waiting has been really tough, I wish I could have ended it at 5 weeks instead of having to wait until I’m almost 10 weeks and had to deal with morning sickness and everything else.

@blankiesandunicorns sorry to hear your medical failed and you are having to wait so long as well. It really is tough emotionally to be pregnant when you don’t want to be and having to wait before anything can be done about it.

blankiesandunicorns Thu 10-Jan-19 23:11:58

It's really tough. To begin with it wasn't as bad as I thought it was only going to be 2 weeks and it'd all be over but after the medical failed, the additional wait is the toughest. Feeling sick etc is hard and your body changing for nothing is tough emotionally.

I hope the next week goes quickly for you and you manage ok.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »