Talk

Advanced search

My experience with a repeat D&C

(1 Post)
Slizz01 Sat 10-Nov-18 10:57:19

I'm new to this site but just wanted to share my experience with anyone who is going through the same thing.
I found out I was pregnant even after just starting the pill and using protection (it happens). at 8 weeks we found out there was no heartbeat and no continuing growth so I was talked into either a "medical termination" or "surgical termination(D&C)". After doing a little research I decided the surgical option would suit me better as the medical option, you are given medication to induce contractions to expel the pregnancy. It was not something I wanted to go through.

So I got to the hospital and all the staff were lovely. I was asked to change in a gown then brought into theatre. Next I was woken up in recovery and didn't even know it was all done. I was moved into a lounge and was brought a sandwich and hot chocolate. I had minor cramping and was sent home shortly after.

Four days had passed and I had been bleeding everyday but only a moderate amount which was normal. On the fifth day, I had slightly more pains than normal and a short gush of bleeding which was heavier than a heavy period. It slowed down so I wasn't worried. I had continued to bleed light-moderate over the next two days then on day 7 I woke up in a puddle of blood. I went to the toilet and the blood started gushing out again only this time I had more cramping and it lasted a bit longer. I rang the hospital and was asked to come to A&E right away.

The hospital did a pelvic examination followed by an ultrasound and bloods. The US showed that I still had "retained product" in my uterus (pregnancy tissue) which was continuing to grow. My blood had a higher regnancy hormone level than what it should be after a D&C.

Basically my options were to take the medication to contract me uterus to expel the excess pregnancy or repeat D&C. As my blood pressure was so low, the Dr wanted to keep me in over night and attempt the me medical abortion prior to going ahead with the repeat D&C. I took the first dose and felt cramping but did not pass anything but light bleeding after 2 hours. Then another dose, this time pain was much worse. It felt like I was actually having contractions in labour (not that I have given birth before). Another 2 hours passed and still nothing had passed but moderate bleeding. I had another two doses and the pain was so intense that not even oxycodone helped. I managed to pass some tissue that was about 3cm wide and 4cm long that was dark jelly/blood looking. I had hoped that was it and I did not have to have the D&C the next day...

I was wrong sadly. The next morning I had another ultrasound which confirmed that there was still "retained product" due to the heart shape of my uterus. So I had to have the surgical termination again only this time under a general anaesthetic as apposed to a twilight sedation (still put to sleep). After the surgery I woke up feeling awful with a very strong chemical taste in my mouth, nose and throat. I had nausea and felt dreadful. I was brought back up to the ward to recover the rest of the afternoon. I was told it was 100% successful as they did the whole procedure under ultrasound guidance to ensure success and no risk of perforating the uterus etc.

I was finally discharged to go home after two days in hospital. I just wanted to explain my experience as I could not find much on what to expect after a surgical abortion on the internet and if I hadn't of phoned the hospital I most likely would have lost a lot more blood and got an infection. I also would not recommend the medical abortion method as it was SO painful and even passing the tissue was graphic enough let a lone a fetus! Sorry for the TMI I just want to share my experience and my heart goes out to you if you are going through this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »