Talk

Advanced search

What is the point of a health visitor.

(79 Posts)
Amy1996 Thu 20-Sep-18 14:32:10

Does anyone know what the point of a health visitor is and why they need to come to your house? I feel like they are just nosey and useless :/

BridgeFarmKefir Thu 20-Sep-18 14:39:32

I'm currently 37 weeks pregnant with my first and I suspect I'll be pleased to have someone come and check on the health of me and my new baby. I don't really know why you wouldn't want that?

SoyDora Thu 20-Sep-18 14:40:34

They’re there to help... some are great, some aren’t. If you don’t want them to come then refuse the service.

Amy1996 Thu 20-Sep-18 14:41:26

She's coming round when I'm 38 weeks pregnant I just don't understand what for that's all

SoyDora Thu 20-Sep-18 14:42:21

To see if you’ve got any questions/need any help or support. To introduce herself so you know who to contact if you’ve got any issues.

HoleyCoMoley Thu 20-Sep-18 14:42:28

To check you and baby are ok, healthy, managing ok, if you don't want to see them just tell them, bit ungracious to say they are useless and nosy, they are extremely well trained health professionals.

GummyGoddess Thu 20-Sep-18 14:42:53

I had a lovely one for dc1. She checked on me to make sure I was coping, held dc while I showered, made me tea and gave us story books.

Current one is rather useless but if I have a question I just go to the health clinic she doesn't go to and ask one of the ones there.

Amy1996 Thu 20-Sep-18 14:45:17

@HoleyCoMoley I have an older child and my health visitor did nothing that wasn't useless other than ask irrelevant questions and look down on me so I don't actually what the purpose of them is from my experience so that's why I'm asking

Cyw2018 Thu 20-Sep-18 14:47:26

My midwife, put it something like "if you baby is normal and healthy, then all the health visitor is for is weighing and passing you information (vaccinations etc), if you child has a problem at any point the health visitor is your first point of contact for accessing the support and services you will need".

Amy1996 Thu 20-Sep-18 14:48:36

@Cyw2018 I understand they are for baby and checking them but why does she need to come to my house when I'm pregnant ? everything I need to know I ask my midwife and she can't check on a baby that isn't here I just don't get it

SoyDora Thu 20-Sep-18 14:53:10

Decline then 🤷🏻‍♀️. It’s just to introduce herself and signpost you to any support you might need post birth. If you don’t think it will be useful to you then say no.

TheHollowLeggedGoat Thu 20-Sep-18 14:54:41

I think she's coming to introduce herself, so when you have a bawling two week old and are feeling tearful and useless, struggling with nappy rash or breastfeeding, it's a familiar face who you can call for help? Give her a chance. Mine was lovely.

pineappple Thu 20-Sep-18 14:55:32

I'm 38 weeks with my 3rd and had the HV just appear out of the blue for a pre natal visit. I think it's more of a tick box exercise, having to introduce herself and the HV service which to me is ridiculous as I have a 1 year old who she sees anyway.

bigbluebus Thu 20-Sep-18 14:59:22

Both the health visitors i had were completely useless. The 1st one was totally out of her depth as my DD had multiple problems due to a chromosome disorder. It's a wonder she didn't drive me to suicide with her negative attitude.
The 2nd one I had for DS spent more time telling me about her DS's behaviour and glossed over the concerns I had about my DS's behaviour. DS was diagnosed as having HF ASD aged 6 - no thanks to Health Visitor - we got into the assessment system via nursery!

PoisonousSmurf Thu 20-Sep-18 15:02:59

Mumsnet was all I needed with DD1. My health visitor was as thick as two short planks. How they get the job, I have no idea!

someonekillbabyshark Thu 20-Sep-18 15:03:37

It's the new rule to introduce them self before baby arrives ! Stupid really and waste of money..... I really appreciate my health visitor she has got my daughter the help she needs with her speech they are useful !

StressedToTheMaxx Thu 20-Sep-18 15:05:02

My first baby everything was obviously all new. Baby was severely under weight. She helped monitor weight and reasure me.
2nd baby I saw health visitor twice. I couldn't even tell you her name. I suppose it just depends in how the baby is health wise.

Fatted Thu 20-Sep-18 15:07:14

I live in an area where there is 'intensive' health visiting they call it. Basically it's a generally deprived area so they ass from that parents need more support.

The one that was here with my eldest was shit and everything I was told a HV was useless etc. One that was here with my youngest was absolutely amazing. Although she is leaving now and appeared to be struggling in the last year or so I'd say.

SleepingStandingUp Thu 20-Sep-18 15:09:57

Because there might be issues that show up already.

If she walks in and the dog pee is all over the floor, the house is in a state etc that will raise flags. If she turns up and you burst into tears because you can't afford to buy a cot that will raise flags. If everything is fine then she's had a chance to meet you calmly without a milk beast screaming for attention.

anotherangel2 Thu 20-Sep-18 15:14:52

So you can meet them and ask them about their role before your baby arrives and before you have any concerns. The aim is so you know who they are so you know who you can turn to and a difficult and vulnerable time. They also can see what you are like before the baby arrives so they can spot PND more easily.

SlimmingMumOf1 Thu 20-Sep-18 15:16:49

Not at all. They are there to help you! My health visitor was an absolute godsend. We still talk every now and again and it's been 2 years since she last seen my DS!

More2Fly Thu 20-Sep-18 15:16:57

All mine ever did was ask "are you doing tummy time? My baby was screaming with colic and reflux and wouldn't sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time for the first 8 weeks- none of which she could advise or give any help on.. but she'd always finish up by mentioning the importance of fucking tummy time.
I guess she was useful in that she weighed and measured her each time

SlimmingMumOf1 Thu 20-Sep-18 15:17:12

@Amy1996 you sound like a nasty piece of work

Cyw2018 Thu 20-Sep-18 15:18:05

Just to introduce themselves, and make sure you have any support you might need/ be entitled too.

SilverbytheSea Thu 20-Sep-18 15:27:04

My first one was useless, kept going on about the fact I was just a “young mum” (I was 26) and assumed I knew nothing about anything. We moved and the one has now is brilliant, we hardly see her as there hasn’t been any issues, but I’d feel comfortable calling her if anything did come up.
The pre-baby visit is just so you know how your point if contact is, raise any concerns you have and they can let you know about any services you might find useful, and probably a bit of seeing the home environment is safe but mine was only ever in the living room.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »