Advanced search

Second trimester terminations

(10 Posts)
Kindnessthanks Tue 19-Jun-18 22:30:38

I've nc

Can someone please talk to me about the procedure for second trimester terminations as the NHS website isn't too clear?

To set out my situation I will be 14 weeks on Thursday. I had my first scan last week but was over a week more pregnant than I realised. Yesterday I had the news that I have a 1/120 high risk of down syndrome (so not the worst odds but not brilliant either. Hcg levels in particular were high).

Our NHS Trust offers the NIFT test so I've been given that option or cvs (although I think amniocentesis is now more realistic due to timeline). I'm currently deciding what test to do. DP wants me to do the NIFT test (he's concerned about the miscarriage risk) but I'm concerned that by the time it is arranged, and I have the results, that I'll be around 16 weeks perhaps more, so if I then have a amniocentesis I'd be getting very close to 20 weeks if down syndrome was diagnosed. I will have a termination if DS is diagnosed. Sorry, if this offends anyone.

Accordingly, it would help if someone could tell me the realities of having a termination post 16 weeks and post 20 weeks - is the procedure similar/same? I think it will help me decide what step to take next. If there is very little difference then NIFT makes more sense but if the procedure is, let's say say less labour like (I have a dc that I gave birth to) then I'm leaning towards the amniocentesis in the first instance.


hamburgers Tue 19-Jun-18 22:44:29

If you decide on a TFMR then they will induce labour and you will give birth vaginally in hospital.

hamburgers Tue 19-Jun-18 22:44:55

TFMR = termination for medical reasons

SleepFreeZone Tue 19-Jun-18 22:57:08

Have the NIFTY test. I suspect you will be absolutely fine. I pushed to have a surgical termination at 17 weeks because my baby had Edwards Syndrome. I couldn’t mentally cope with labouring the baby out so I went through BPAS and had my termination in London, funded by the NHS.

Scrumymum Tue 19-Jun-18 22:59:54

I can't comment on termination process, but I can speak from experience about having a very high chance baby having a "syndrome"... and to say try not to panic.....

At my 12 week scan it showed our dc was a 1:38 chance of Downs. Everyone else I knew who had been pregnant before me had 1:10,000 or some other "thousands" number so I immediately thought he must be Downs as ours was so high. I had a cvs test and cried all the way there and all the way home and cried for 6 days until the phone call came through. I was absolutely convinced my baby would have to be terminated and like you had so many questions. Finally the call came and the nurse informed me that baby didn't have Downs or any of the other syndromes they test for. Those were the worst 6 days of my life so I totally feel for you and what you're going through. This is 11 years ago, but I thought there was a blood test now rather than you having to have a cvs or Amino test? Good luck x

Kindnessthanks Wed 20-Jun-18 07:17:18

Thanks for everyone's comments. I am leaning a bit more towards the Nift now

Dangermouse80 Wed 20-Jun-18 07:37:48

We were 1 in 78 chance. I privately paid to have the blood test at Harley street (next day) at 13 weeks. Results took 4 days. Longest wait but everything came back fine. I didn't want the cvs due to miscarriage risk. Hope everything goes well for you.

Liz3891 Sun 24-Jun-18 10:20:29

I would do the NIPT test. If it comes back as low risk, you can be 99+% sure your baby doesn't have downs without amnio/CVS. The false positive rate is similarly low.

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Mon 02-Jul-18 22:22:45

1/3 risk for Downs here, hcg levels off the scale apparently.
I had the amnio and I too would have chosen a termination. DS is 9 now, asleep upstairs, he did not have Downs. But those days and weeks of waiting were very, very hard. Mumsnet was e huge comfort. I really wish you all the best. flowers

CarlaJeffreys Fri 12-Oct-18 13:42:09

Hi, I am 14 weeks and just been told I am 1 in 57 chance of Edwards or Patau. I am having the amniocentesis procedure as the nipt is still based on probability not fact. I have to wait two weeks for this though and then two weeks for results. How did any of you get through this time
Of waiting?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »