Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.

Surgical procedure

(17 Posts)
MamaDuckling Sat 18-Nov-17 16:57:07

Can anyone please shed some light on the surgical procedure for me? I'll be having it under a General Anesthetic. How long will it take? Will I be sore down there afterwards? How long might the bleeding last? So many questions I forfeit to ask the nurse when I booked it....

Thanks all

calamityjam Sat 18-Nov-17 17:01:10

Are you talking about cesarean sections?

MamaDuckling Sat 18-Nov-17 17:07:01

No no....

capercaillie Sat 18-Nov-17 17:10:53

Took about 15 minutes but then sometime in recovery afterwards. I don’t remember feeling that sore afterwards. Bleeding was minimal - less than a couple of days. If you’re over a certain no of weeks, then you may need to have a tablet beforehand - usually a pessary and wait a couple of hours.

You do have to avoid exercise for a couple of weeks after.

MamaDuckling Sun 19-Nov-17 07:32:11

Thank you. I'll be about 7-8 weeks along

capercaillie Sun 19-Nov-17 07:37:15

In that case, you won’t have the tablet. A lot depends on how you recover from the GA. I recovered v quickly but there were others who took a lot longer.

capercaillie Sun 19-Nov-17 07:42:52

The thing I wasn’t expecting was how my monthly cycle took awhile to settle afterwards - around 3-6 months although I can’t remember exactly.

FluffyPersian Tue 21-Nov-17 14:59:23

I had a surgical termination under GA. Before you are allowed home, they ask you to go to the toilet to make sure everything is 'OK' down there - I thought there would be loads of blood, but there wasn't.

I bled quite heavily for 2 weeks, not REALLY heavily, but continuously for 2 weeks and I remember phoning up just to check that was OK as I didn't know how long it would take to stop bleeding and oddly enough, I stopped 1-2 days after that, so for me it was approx 2.5 weeks.

My periods came back very quickly as normal.

I was surprised by how 'well' I felt physically - there was literally absolutely no pain at all. I didn't realise they pop a suppository up your bottom when you're asleep. I didn't need any painkillers after the first day and apart from feeling a little tired - Physically I was able to do pretty much anything.

Mentally was a completely different story - That hit me a lot harder than I thought it would and I was very up and down for a long time afterwards. I would honestly say it took me 12-18 months to feel 'OK' about it and whilst I still maintain it was the right decision, it was a shock to feel 'Fine' physically but such a wreck mentally.

I'd suggest having a really strong support network in place, just in case you also feel low. Hope it goes as well as it can do.

MamaDuckling Wed 22-Nov-17 04:02:52

Thanks everyone, just been told I'm too early to have the GA (not sure why they offered it to me). Very nervous about the sedation and cervix injection....

MamaDuckling Fri 24-Nov-17 15:43:32

Two days now until the procedure, in a way no can't wait - my boobs are killing me, I'm exhausted, I'm constantly nauseous.... but terrified in equal measure.

Anymore good stories to boost me up and stop me freaking out?

Smarties01 Wed 29-Nov-17 17:30:02

How are you feeling Mama? Thinking of you flowers

QueenAravisOfArchenland Sat 02-Dec-17 20:05:28

I had conscious sedation at 10 weeks. The procedure took about 5 minutes. It felt a little odd but not painful - the local injection to the cervix was the only uncomfortable part and that's over in a couple of seconds. Afterwards I had no pain, just tired and after a long sleep was basically fine the next day. I bled lightly on and off for about two weeks. I had some difficult spots emotionally processing it but got through them and now feel OK about the whole thing. The physical side was really fine.

MamaDuckling Sat 09-Dec-17 05:19:39

Hi everyone,

Thanks for checking in. It went fine - they offered me a General a aesthetic in the day so I was oblivious to the entire procedure - which was nice. Haven't looked back, very much the right choice. Thanks for all the support.

Topaz89 Sat 09-Dec-17 07:46:00

Hi MamaDuckling, I hope you're ok. How are you feeling physically and emotionally? I didn't have the surgical abortion had the medical abortion and it was horrific! It lasts for weeks and I've only just stopped bleeding now 6 weeks later.

MamaDuckling Sat 09-Dec-17 10:02:27

Hi Topaz,

I actually feel pretty good. Nausea disappeared in a day or so, no pain whatsoever, and bleeding has just stopped (2 weeks on). Feeling very thankful to live in a society where we are able to make this choice.

Topaz89 Sun 10-Dec-17 07:29:21

I'm glad you're ok physically and emotionally smile
I was ok physically but emotionally was a different story.

MamaDuckling Sun 10-Dec-17 14:34:02

Oh Topaz I'm sorry - just reread my last post which was a bit self centered confused

When did you have it done, and how are you now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now