Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.

Failed medical abortion

(13 Posts)
ksr881113 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:22:56

Hey,
Really need some advice. I fell pregnant on the pill - I already have two children, one of which got diagnosed with a life-long illness two months ago which means he needs a lot of care.
Anyway, my partner didn't want the baby and I was worried about not being able to cope, I decided to have a medical abortion.
It seemed to go okay, I passed a clot then bled for 8 days.
My partner and I have since split up, as he really isn't a very nice man (he's not my two children's father)
I took a pregnancy test two weeks after the abortion which was positive, so I waited another two weeks... Still positive...
Had a scan today and it shows the abortion failed, the baby is still alive! And I'm 13 weeks.

The clinic I went to have advised me not to keep the baby but I can't help feeling that it's fate. I really can't abort a 13 week old fetus, it's just too far along now.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a failed abortion and gone on to have the baby?
If so was the baby healthy? I'd like to hear stories good or bad.

Thank you.

Topaz89 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:54:37

Aww I really hope the baby is healthy. I haven't had one that failed so can't advise you, but I just wanted to say best of luck smile

ksr881113 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:35:56

Thank you!

Primaryteach87 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:38:28

Best wishes OP, hope baby is healthy. Xxx

Swizzlesticks23 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:40:06

Hi op. I don't know if you believe in fate but something tells me this was supposed to happen. Once is bad luck twice is a sign.

Best of luck to you both.

Xxx

SandSnakeofDorne Wed 01-Nov-17 20:46:33

Did the clinic talk to you about why they recommend termination? You need to properly understand the increased risk of birth defects before you make a decision. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

ksr881113 Thu 02-Nov-17 11:12:57

Thank you everyone, I keep thinking it's a sign too.
And yes, the clinic said there is a risk of abnormalities, but the risk is small
Xxx

Annabelle4 Thu 02-Nov-17 11:16:55

If I were you I'd go for a detailed scan ASAP

Annabelle4 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:19:04

Any update OP?

I keep thinking about you flowers

flutterby12 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:21:12

Something tells me this baby is meant to be. I hope you're ok flowers

misslost Mon 06-Nov-17 22:31:24

I read its a very small risk, smaller than down's syndrome, if my medical had 100% failed I would have kept it, good luck to you. x

SandSnakeofDorne Tue 07-Nov-17 07:05:14

The risk level depends on the drug used. One of them has a one in ten risk of birth defects.

Catalufa Tue 07-Nov-17 07:08:45

How do you feel you would cope if the baby was born with abnormalities (given that you already have a DC with significant needs)? Sorry to be doom and gloom but you have to be realistic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now