Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.

Medical abortion (pills)

(45 Posts)
Frazzles99 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:02:14

Hi everyone
I need some help and advice here as im totally freakin out πŸ˜“
Ive got a medical (pill) termination booked for next week and im absolutely terrifed of the proceedure. Im guessing ill be 6 weeks at the time. It'll be the same day procedure and I think I just get sent home straight after 2nd dose of pills. Im really worried about how much blood i will pass and whether i will be able to cope with it physically as ive heard its horrendous?! πŸ˜“

Ive only opted for the pills over surgical as i want to get it done ASAP and the thought of having to wait another couple of weeks will just kill me.

I will need to be back at work 48hrs later in a physically demanding job (i have no choice believe me)

Please don't judge me as i was using protecting properly but it failed and i am in no financial situation to support a child.
Please help calm me down with your positive stories and what to expect xxx

pimmsy Fri 27-Oct-17 21:12:55

Hi Frazzles99,

I've never had a medical abortion but hope someone will be along soon to reassure you.

Have you sorted out some comfy clothes to wear? And found someone who can take you and bring you back from the appointment?

If I were you I'd make sure that your house is warm for when you get back and that you have ample tea/milk and easy things you can eat.
Maybe stock up on some magazines and make sure you have warm socks and a hot water bottle, maybe Netflix and a nice candle or some nice smelly things like an essential oil spray or a calming pillow spray.
Could you set yourself a nice playlist of music up or download a few podcasts if you're too tired to watch anything?

If you're worried about bleeding a lot, maybe set out a towel on your bed and sofa before you leave so you can sit on those without worrying about staining anything.

It probably won't be the most pleasant time, but if the doctors send you home that means they are not worried.

This is the right choice for you, so you need to be kind to yourself about it.

Auspiciouspanda Fri 27-Oct-17 21:13:57

Hi I had the medical abortion on Monday and had the consultation and procedure the same day at bpas.

I had the second dose of pills (inserted in the vagina myself) at around 3pm but nothing happened until around 9pm.

It started with cramps that steadily got worse so I took paracetamol and ibuprofen which helped but didn't get rid of all the pain. I won't lie to you I was very uncomfortable and in a lot of pain at some points but I was also given codine which I should have taken earlier tbf but when it kicked in 99% of the pain went away.

I wore an always ultra night pad which absorbed all of the blood - it's like a very heavy period.

I took three days off but I could have gone in on Wednesday.

I'm still bleeding today but it's just like a regular period now.

Any other questions just ask 😊 Hope your feeling better soon!

Frazzles99 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:19:27

Thanks Auspiciouspanda
What time was your appointment? Mines at 9.30am and i just want to get home ASAP so i can deal with it in the comforts of my own home. I'd hope to be out by early afternoon or do you think this is unreasonable? Im booked into a BPAS clinic too.
Hi Pimmsy
Ill be on my own I'm afraid until early evening when my flatmat will be home.
Xx

Auspiciouspanda Fri 27-Oct-17 21:23:45

My appointment was 9:45 but the reason for my delay was staff illness. There will be a wait as two doctors have to approve the abortion but apparently it's all they do all day no other duties.

They delay given you the last medication until everything else is sorted out so it gives you time to get home before anything happens.

Frazzles99 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:28:32

Thank you for taking the yime to reply. Im absolutely terrifed and am shaking constantly, appetite gone and awful feeling of impending doom in the pit of my stomach since i found out. Im terrified something will go wrong πŸ˜“

wtffgs Fri 27-Oct-17 21:38:15

Nobody should judge you. You have every right to decide what to do with your body.

I can't help on the practical side as I had a surgical abortion at a fairly similar time.

The provider should provide you with lots of information. Warm baths, lavender spray, easy-to-digest/prepare food, a friend or two on standby.

UnMN hugs flowers

Frazzles99 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:48:51

Thanks everyone i will keep you posted xx

Topaz89 Sat 28-Oct-17 05:28:22

Hi Frazzles. I'm not going to judge you flowers I'm going through the same thing at the moment.

I had a medical abortion this week at 8 weeks. I took the first tablet on Tuesday and then the second lot on Friday (yesterday). The bleeding for me has just been slightly heavier than a heavy period. With pain relief the cramping doesn't hurt. I took the tablet at 11:45 and started bleeding at about 2:00ish.

I had all of the same fears as you before I went ahead with it, but by following the right after care it should all go fine.

pimmsy Sat 28-Oct-17 20:56:33

How are you feeling today Frazzles?

Frazzles99 Sat 28-Oct-17 22:00:52

Absolutely terrified sad
Had an awful nights sleep worrying about everything.
I now suddenly feel VERY pregnant. Horrible pressure feeling in my uterus, twinges and cramps. Ive now started to scare myself with the prospect that im much futher along than i think. Im 5 days late for my period but i seem to remember my last two periods not being that heavy. They were definately there but not as bad as they can be which is making me sick with worry that i might go for my appoitment next week and be told im 16 weeks or something rediculous like that?!
I feel so frightened sad

Frazzles99 Sat 28-Oct-17 22:24:09

Thanks Topaz that has put my mind at rest a little. Ive just got so many unanswered questions whirling around in my head. I think ill be 5 weeks when i go in if calculating from start date of last period but who knows until they scan you? Im worried if its too early ill be sent home and have to go through all the stress again of another appoitment or worse still, be much further along than anticipated?!
The clinic closest to me only does same day procedures which i know have a lower success rate. However, id much rather get it over and done with in one day iyswim?
I feel like my world is falling apart at the moment πŸ˜“

pimmsy Sun 29-Oct-17 09:31:34

@Frazzles99

Would you feel up for going out for a little walk today to get some fresh air? Could you give yourself a mini manicure or something, even just a quick nail file and some cream on your hands?

The doctors will be there to take care of you.

I think the best you can do until the appointment is, as hard as it may be, try and think of other things.

Have you got any mundane tasks you could do? Sorting through your food cupboards of clothes?

CoffeenoTea Sun 29-Oct-17 09:45:44

@frazzles, please don't think that people will judge you . And if they do well i always ask them when did they become so perfect and my shoes are here if you eould like to walk 1 step never mind 1 mile in them.

You must do whats best for you. Wishing you all the best, my advice is to not dwell on it. you have your reasons and thats enough to let you move on and be the very best you can be.

Frazzles99 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:43:43

Hi everyone,

My head is still in a spin. Im trying to keep busy with work and forget temporarily but then reality comes back with a thud.
It doesnt help that i have intermitent twinges/mild cramps most of the time.
I hope this isnt a sign that i'm going to be in horrendous pain when it happens?
I'm rwally worried that i wont be fit to work within 48hrs. I cant get the time off and its a very physical job that I do. Would taking iron tablets help before hand do you think?
If the blood loss is the lining of your uterus and the pregnancy tissue, why would this cause you to be anaemic? Surely it was only meant for the baby anyway and not for your own body?? Sorry i dont have any medical knowledge sad
Xxx

pimmsy Mon 30-Oct-17 18:44:28

Hi @Frazzles99,

I don't think the procedure should make you anaemic, but I have no medical knowledge.

You can take ibuprofen and paracetamol for any pain but you can't take aspirin.

Take care

xoxox

pimmsy Tue 31-Oct-17 21:44:12

Hi frazzles,

Just a quick word to hope you manage to sleep tonight.

😘

Frazzles99 Wed 01-Nov-17 07:26:22

Sleeping a little better but constantly on my mind. Im starting to get very nervous about my appointment now. The anticipation of the unknown i think is the worse part of it 🀒

pimmsy Wed 01-Nov-17 21:37:07

I hope you sleep alright tonight. This too will pass. Take care.

pimmsy Thu 02-Nov-17 15:00:08

Hi frazzles, how's today ?

Frazzles99 Thu 02-Nov-17 21:16:26

Feel like im starting to regret booking my appointment.
My head is in such a spin. Im starting to feel as though i need more time but i know that time is of the essence in my situation too sad

Frazzles99 Fri 03-Nov-17 07:48:25

I had my first emotional breakdown about everything this morning.
🀧

pimmsy Fri 03-Nov-17 08:09:42

Whatever you decide to do it's your choice and no one has the right to ever judge or question you.

Have you been able to call your provider for some support and see what they can suggest?

SparklyMagpie Fri 03-Nov-17 08:21:10

Oh sweet, have you tried calling them for some support?

And PP's are right, whatever you choose, it's your choice!

Take it easy xx

Frazzles99 Fri 03-Nov-17 08:45:40

My appointment is on monday. I havent talked to anyone. Theres noone i can talk to about this. Financially i will lose everything ive ever worked for if i progress. I know people say dont worry about money but its a massive factor in all of this. I have no family support either so it would be just me on my own sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now