Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.

Listeria contamination?

(9 Posts)
user1491924075 Tue 11-Apr-17 17:14:15

Hello,
I'm 10w pregnant. I had some pasteurised Brie at the weekend thinking it was safe to eat until I realised that even pasteurised it is not recomended.
Yesterday I felt a bit coldish no fever but I was cold, had slight chills with muscle achesand felt rundown. I also had 2 boys of diarrhoea.
I feel Much better today.
I've spoken to my midwife today but she didn't seem worried. I tried to call my gp but they didn't have any appointment and asked me to call back tomorrow.
I'm worried that it could have been signs of listeria?
Anyone here went through this?
I'm quite worried and my boyfriend being crossed with me doesn't help.

Ecureuil Tue 11-Apr-17 17:18:35

Much more likely to be a virus/bug than listeria poisoning.

AltheaThoon Wed 12-Apr-17 15:22:50

I once phoned my me concerned about listeria because I'd eaten some cheese that i didn't realise was a risk. She just told me that in all of her years as a me she'd never heard of anyone contracting listeria. It's very, very rare but i do understand your anxiety.

AltheaThoon Wed 12-Apr-17 15:23:25

Me = mw of course!

AnneWithAnEShirley Wed 12-Apr-17 15:23:52

A good approach would be to ring theTommy's helpline - they have qualified midwives who are very supportive in this kind of query.

AnneWithAnEShirley Wed 12-Apr-17 15:26:25

If you google it looks like minimum incubation. Period is three days due listeriosis - so symptoms maybe more likely to be coincidental? I know it is rare so hopefully gp and mw can reassure you. You can be tested to see if you have it iirc

user1491924075 Wed 12-Apr-17 18:47:50

Well I spoke to my gp today and ahe was utterly clueless. She asked what I read on the NHS website, what were the actions and treatment.
She was literally googling stuff while we were speaking. I was gobsmacked.
I now have a prescriotion for a course of antibiotics without knowing if i need them.
I felt a bit poorly again today. Still no fever though.

AltheaThoon Thu 13-Apr-17 09:37:14

hmm Did she give you antibiotics 'just in case' then?

WorriedAboutMyBaby Thu 13-Apr-17 09:39:54

Listeria is ridiculously rare. I think there have only been 6 cases in the last decade.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now