Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.

Medical Termination experience

(8 Posts)
Lulabelle2244 Fri 15-Jul-16 18:22:21

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience with you all since this forum has been of huge use to me over the last couple of weeks. I will ask the judgemental people I've seen on this forum to stop reading now. I found out I was pregnant about a week and a half ago. We are very careful, I use the pill and we often use condoms however somehow in between all that I got pregnant. It was a compete and utter shock, my period was on,y a few days late but for about a week I had been getting all the symptoms to suggest it was about to start, sore breasts, slight cramping, aching lower back but I did a pregnancy test just to be sure and to my complete shock it was positive. We were both in agreement and have been for quite some time that now is not the right time for us to have a child, we are not financially stable due my studies and our relationship dynamics have been difficulty of late. We agreed that when we have a child we want to be in the best situation possible for us, and to be able to give it everything it deserves. I am now 2 days post termination and this was my experience.

Anyway, I booked in at a sexual health clinic the day after to discuss my options and next steps. I was given an appointment at the hospital the next day for a scan and further discussion. I went for my scan but they couldn't locate the pregnancy so had to do it transvaginally, I was told it was because my pregnancy was very early, they couldn't give me an exact date, they could only say that I was definitely less than 6 weeks pregnant. We discussed my options and reasons for choosing a termination and I went for the option of a medical termination at home. I was given an appointment to go back the following week for a blood test and to have the first tablet (mifepristone). When I attended it was a very quick appointment, they took my blood, went through the consent forms and risks etc, asked if I was 100% sure then gave me the tablet and I went home with the plan to return 48 hours later for the second course of tablets.

I attended for the second course of tablets and was given an anti d injection because of my blood group to prevent complications in future pregnancies. I was then talked through what would happen when I was given the second course of medication and what to expect afterwards. I was first given an antibiotic suppository, then 4 tablets into my vagina, and advised to go home and rest for the first hour.

I returned home straight away and within 40 mins i began to feel mild cramping, similar to period pains. After approximately an hour and a half I felt an overwhelming urge to go to the toilet. I felt something pass into the toilet and saw lot of blood but did not look too closely. Almost immediately after I started experiencing diarrhoea and passed a couple more clots, again I didn't look too closely. For the next 3-4 hours I experienced strong cramping (I get strong cramping with periods so this was not new to me) and continued to pass clots, I found I had to go to the toilet and change a pad around every 40 minutes. After those 3-4 hours the bleeding and cramping slowed down slightly but were still quite significant.

The next day (yesterday) I continued to bleed but it had slowed down dramatically and I only had 3 pad changes throughout the day, the cramping and lower back pain was still quite painful but it did not stop me getting on with my day. I felt tired, slightly emotional but more irritable if I'm honest. The nurses from the hospital called me to see how things went and didn't have any concerns with what I told them but advised me to do a pregnancy test in 3 weeks to make sure I had passed all product (it can take 3 weeks for the hormones to leave your system).

Today (2 days after) I felt much less tired, I was able to get out of bed with no issues, prior to my termination I was permanently tired, and had started to feel quite sickly. I feel neither tired nor sickly today. I am still bleeding today but again slightly less than yesterday but the cramping and back pain remain, I believe this is the process of the uterus returning to its normal size. I feel quite bloated today and on speaking to the nurses I was told this is quite common as is constipation which I am also starting to experience.

Overall the process was not as bad as I had imagined but I think that the experience you have is possibly down to your pain threshold, how far along in the pregnancy you are (I was very early) and how prepared you are. I do feel sadness that I've had to go through this, I never planned to have to do it but it really was for the best. It may sound terrible to some but I tried my hardest not to form feelings or a connection to the pregnancy because I knew that would make things a lot more difficult, but at the same time it did not feel real. For now I can only hope that the process is complete and the pregnancy test in 3 weeks is negative. I hope this account is of some use to others considering this, I know it is quite long and descriptive but it's exactly what I was looking for when we made our decision.

KittyandTeal Fri 15-Jul-16 18:27:19

Good for you.

There are lots of posts on mn supporting women through miscarriage (which is obviously traumatic) but there seems few posts giving factual information about terminations.

Terminations are often seen as taboo or not talked about, I guess because people judge, but factual posts like this will be hugely helpful for women in the same position.

PotteringAlong Fri 15-Jul-16 18:29:22

I found out I was pregnant about a week and a half ago

I am now 2 days post termination

If you went for the first lot of tablets and then went back 48 hours later that's 5 days from discovering you were pregnant to terminating. That's very very fast.

PotteringAlong Fri 15-Jul-16 18:30:10

That's an ovbservation by the way, not s judgement. Most posts on here seem to be about it taking weeks.

Lulabelle2244 Fri 15-Jul-16 18:48:08

You're right, it is a short space of time. As I said though, my partner and I have said for a long time we're not in the position to have a child at the moment, hence the almost double contraception and the even bigger shock of actually managing to get pregnant. The services where I live are very good, but it was also possibly just down to pure luck that I was seen so quickly.

PotteringAlong Fri 15-Jul-16 18:58:15

I think you must have been lucky - I'm sure their was a thread earlier in the week where a poster was saying it would be a 4 week wait.

Lulabelle2244 Fri 15-Jul-16 19:03:23

I'm very lucky to live in a city where there are 4 hospitals within a 10 mile radius which makes things a lot easier and quicker to access. They actually asked at my first hospital appointment how long I'd had to wait for an appointment so I'm guessing they have waiting time targets of some sort.

Advicepls7080 Wed 10-Aug-16 13:30:24

I know this was weeks ago but thanks for posting this and to those saying it can take weeks I rang today was offered an appointment for Monday but I can't make it as I have an exam. I still have an appointment for less than a week away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now