Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.

Do vasectomies repair themselves after years?

(13 Posts)
Vobble Tue 02-Feb-16 18:00:09

My period is late. Unheard of for me, I'm usually really regular. I'm now about 2.5 weeks late.

My dh had a vasectomy about 8 years ago. What's the chances of this repairing itself and me getting pregnant?

I dunno if I'm just convincing myself I'm pregnant, but I feel it...

SecretSpy Tue 02-Feb-16 18:03:24

It's very rare but not impossible. You're going to need to POAS. Would it be a disaster?

Vobble Tue 02-Feb-16 18:06:15

Yes, absolutely. My youngest is 10 and I've changed careers to a fantastic job and embarked on a level of study I never could when the kids were young. I couldn't go back to having a baby.

Vobble Tue 02-Feb-16 18:06:30

I'll get a test tonight.

LineyReborn Tue 02-Feb-16 18:09:08

Yes, do the test. You are very early along the road if you are pregnant, and have choices.

It would be very rare, though.

scaevola Tue 02-Feb-16 18:21:00

Yes, they can. And if you are going to google obsessively about it, the term you want is 'spontaneous recanalisation'.

It's very rare.

The headline rate if vasectomy failure is 1:2000, but that includes the early fails (put down to abandoning other contraception before the all clear) which is probably accounts for around half of all failures.

If you are not PG, you may want to get his semen reanalysed to check he is still sterile. (eg £30 at Marie Stopes, discounted to £20 if they arrived out the vasectomy).

AnyFucker Tue 02-Feb-16 18:28:39

There is a failure rate with every procedure.

It might be tiny but someone has to be that statistic. I hope you get the result you want.

Vobble Wed 03-Feb-16 16:52:43

Thanks all. I didn't get the chance to get a test last night so was going after work today...however my period has arrived!

Now to work out why it was so late. I'm 43, bit too young for menopause I reckon.

SecretSpy Wed 03-Feb-16 17:02:34

Periods can start going wonky long before menopause proper kicks in I believe. Annoying isn't it.

Vobble Wed 03-Feb-16 17:25:12

Yes definitely, not sure I need this worry every month!

AnyFucker Wed 03-Feb-16 17:37:35

My periods have been wonky for years

FuckyNell Wed 03-Feb-16 17:43:29

I missed my first period at 39 now im on hrt at 44

FreakinScaryCaaw Wed 03-Feb-16 17:46:06

Phew, I've had that scare too. Glad you got AF.

Dh had the snip 7 years ago. I'm 47 so bloody hope his doesn't repair!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now