Advanced search

This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.


(2 Posts)
K2894 Tue 26-Jan-16 22:32:03

I am a young Mum in a long term relationship, I have a 29 month old son and 4 months ago we were blessed with twin babies and we feel our family is complete. I recently had been experiencing symptoms of pregnancy and I have just taken a test to prove my theory and I am over 4 weeks pregnant, We use contraception (condoms) but I never got round to arranging a visit to my family planning centre for a more reliable contraception. I am so scared to say the least and I know that if this pregnancy were to continue it would be a big impact on our children's life and our financial situation. Also I have anxiety issues and struggle most days with socialising and dealing with stress and worry, I could not cope at the beginning with my toddler and newborn twins but I finally feel we are in a routine and coping very well and we are all very happy and this pregnancy was a mistake and I feel this might cause me to have a breakdown. I feel so angry with my partner and I and the thought of ending a life is frightening me but I know I can not have the pregnancy never mind the child. If I hadn't just given birth 4 months ago and at a different stage in our lifes but I mentally and physically could not cope with 4 children aged 3 and under! Has anyone else been in this situation and can offer me some advice? Also with my anxiety I am terrified to contact my GP and arrange help for a termination, I feel I will be judged and I am scared to tell anyone. My partner agrees we cannot continue with the pregnancy and he is trying to support me best he can.

tribpot Tue 26-Jan-16 22:38:53

My sympathies. You've found yourself in a very difficult situation and I don't think any of us can say what we'd do until it happened to us.

I don't think you should get any kind of judgement from your GP. You are asking to be referred for a routine medical procedure, one which it is your right to request. Your GP's concern should be to make sure you are properly supported in coming to the right decision for you and your family.

However, I believe you can self-refer - according to the Marie Stopes website it depends on where you live, so it would be worth calling them (or BPAS perhaps) to discuss whether you can go direct.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: