This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.

Psychiatrist has recommended termination

(8 Posts)
PipersOrange Fri 21-Aug-15 13:21:59

I have a 10mo old ds and have just found out I'm pregnant. Probably about 8/9 weeks. I'm currently having intrusive thoughts about harming ds and so social services are involved, and no one will tell me what will happen if I choose to keep this baby. All my support was happy as I'm meant to be starting work in a week which will limit my alone time with ds. But a new fbaby would mean I'd have to stay at home as cannot afford two child cares. My head is such a mess and I'm so scared sad cannot talk to anyone in RL about this as no one knows about SS sad

I've made an appointment with BPAS but that isn't for another week. I don't know what I'm looking for on here really. I'm just so scared and upset

QuiteLikely5 Fri 21-Aug-15 13:26:39

If you have another baby it is likely you will be monitored in the same way you are now - unless your MH deteriorates during or after the birth, in which case there could be further intervention.

The professionals shouldn't be telling you to terminate, I doubt that would meet their professional codes.

However, imo (no doubt I will get flamed) I would terminate. You have enough to deal with, you can have another child in the future because truly if you haven't got your health you haven't got a lot.

Focus on getting better, your son and your new job.

MorrisZapp Fri 21-Aug-15 13:29:21

I totally agree with quitelikely.

BeautifulBatman Fri 21-Aug-15 13:30:45

Me too. Good luck, whatever you choose.

onehellofaride Fri 21-Aug-15 13:33:56

I agree too

onehellofaride Fri 21-Aug-15 13:34:49

Oh and well done with your progress so far

mintleaf Sat 29-Aug-15 21:44:15

Have you been referred to a therapist to help you deal with the intrusive thoughts? Intrusive thoughts are just that, thoughts, and don't mean you're going to act on them. Being pre-natal you should be a priority for accessing psychological therapy. Maybe CBT as its good for working with intrusive thoughts? Hugs

Paintpot22 Sat 29-Aug-15 21:49:32

Intrusive thoughts around hurting babies/DC are actually very common in new mums.

They in no way mean you want to carry them out. They are just thoughts. I'm very surprised that SS are involved because of this or that a psychologist would recommend termination!
Scary, intrusive thoughts happen to lots of people around different things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now