Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.

Pregnancy test

(8 Posts)
Clarky1975 Sat 27-Jun-15 21:48:05

My girlfriend took a pregnacy test and it showed negative. The next one had the faintest of lines. 2 more done and negative. Then yesterday she did one and nothing showed up. But left it on side and looked at it today and a line has appeared. Can someone give me some advise please

Stroopwaffel Sat 27-Jun-15 21:56:55

Are they all the same brand? Different makes can show positives with differing amounts of the pregnancy hormone.. So a less sensitive test might show negative where a more sensitive one would be positive iyswim

Stroopwaffel Sat 27-Jun-15 21:58:27

Also, there is a time limit for reading tests so any line which appeared after that time should not be counted. Also evaporation lines can be misleading..

I would get her to test again in a couple of days.

Clarky1975 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:00:01

Sorry new to this. My girlfriend did a pregnacy test and it was negative. The next one had a very faint line. 2 more done and negative. Then yesterday she did one and nothing showed up. Left it on side and today a line has showed. Can someone give me some advise please. Plus she's not been feeling herself

Clarky1975 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:01:39

Thanks for the advice

Clarky1975 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:08:52

Is there a chance she could be pregnant

Rememberallball Sun 28-Jun-15 08:55:51

There is a chance she is pregnant but you need to read the instructions included with the test to see what the time limit for reading the results is. Also look at the sensitivity of the test (measured in iu/ml) the lower the number, the more sensituve the test - so a 10iu/ml test is more sensituve than a 20iu/ml test. Pink line tests are thought to be less likely to show evaporation lines than blue line tests.

Most importantly, it depends on when her period is due as she could be testing too early for sufficient hcg to be present hence common advice to wait until due day or late period before testing. Lastly, hcg levels are supposed to double every 2 days so, if you/she thinks she might be pregnant but has a negative test within the time limit, wait 2 more days and test again.

Good luck with testing and getting the result you both want.

scaevola Sun 28-Jun-15 09:18:11

What is it you want advice on?

If her period continues absent, she will need to retest at intervals (as hormone levels can climb slowly). If tests remain negative and no period, then she should consider seeing her GP to discuss what might be going on.

I note that you have posted this in the 'choices' topic. If she is PG, then the choice on whether to continue needs to be hers. You need to state your feelings on this choice, so she can make her decision based on as much accurate information about the circumstances as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now