This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.

Sedatives/newborn/breastfeeding

(3 Posts)
Candlefairy101 Mon 22-Jun-15 16:22:29

I've just found out I'm pregnant, and I'm petrified (literallysad) my youngest is only 9months and my oldest is 4 (at school). Ok the reason I'm so scared is while pregnant with my youngest I had a breakdown and ended up on a mother and baby unit, I was suffering also from hyperemesis, no antisickness worked and I weighed less at 8 months then when I started (I'm only a size 8) I looked like a pale alien confused.

Since then I am well, it has taken a while but with the right mess I'm back smile... Now I'm pregnant and there's a chance it could happen again especially if I come off my mess for the sake of my baby growing inside me.

I'm thinking way ahead but I've always breastfeed, I love it! Does anyone take any sedative medication and was still able to wake up several times in the night to feed? The medication I'm on is safe for breastfeeding but my brain is twirling in circles and I'm thinking of everything that could go wrong!

I think I'm posting to ask if there's any mums out there that have managed to breastfeed while taking sedatives, is there any good strategys or advice you could share with me? Thank you x

TheLastPickleInTheJar Sat 27-Jun-15 21:26:08

I don't know the answer I'm afraid. Perhaps talk to uour gp or midwife? You could also try asking on the mental health board. Someone there might have been in your situation.

It's a positive that your medication is suitable to take while breastfeeding. So is it just the waking in the night that you're wondering about? You'd alsi need to do that if you were planning to ff of course.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I wish you all the best.

Candlefairy101 Sat 27-Jun-15 21:28:39

Thank you! I think i was just havin. A panic moment when I just found out, my mess I'm in are all fine during pregnancy and breastfeeding, I've always breastfeed but I've decided to just go with the flow and do what makes my life easier with have 3 children and 2 of them still 'babies' if I have to do bottle or bottle and breast then that's what I'll do, I maybe okay, I'm just gonna go with the flow and not panic and have expectations x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now