Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.

Medical abortion - over in 4 hours?

(6 Posts)
OnlySmallClot Tue 16-Jun-15 21:40:13

Had a medical abortion today. Within an hour of starting the second lot of pills I started to get really severe pain (tablets hadn't even fully dissolved yet), was the most horrible pain I've ever experienced, couldn't help screaming and at one point nearly passed out. I passed a fair amount of blood but only fairly small clots, nothing near what I was expecting. There was one slightly larger one, and after that the pain subsided, but that was only about 4 hours after taking the pills.

I still have bad cramps, but more like bad period cramps, and I'm still bleeding quite a lot. Is it likely that I passed the pregnancy in only 4 hours? The nurse said it could be up to 36 hours, and now I'm starting to worry that it didn't work, even though I know it's early days yet.

TheBabyFacedAssassin Tue 16-Jun-15 21:45:25

How many weeks pregnant were you? Have you a follow up appointment with the nurse? I don't have any first hand experience with a medical abortion but from what I understand your experience does sound normal.
How are you feeling now?

OnlySmallClot Tue 16-Jun-15 22:25:07

6 weeks pregnant.
No follow up, they gave me the tablets and I went home - got a couple of pregnancy tests to take in a few weeks time, but if all is ok then I don't see them again.

Cramping is still quite bad, but not unbearable anymore, and I'm still bleeding but only tiny clots now.

TheBabyFacedAssassin Tue 16-Jun-15 23:13:12

It does sound normal but again I've never had a medical abortion myself. Have you anyone with you? If you are worried or concerned I would contact the clinic tomorrow.
Keep an eye on the bleeding and be kind to yourself. Take it easy tomorrow, if you are active it may cause the bleeding to get stronger.

OnlySmallClot Wed 17-Jun-15 10:55:52

I'm just worried because it seemed so quick, but then the pain was a lot worse than the nurse told me to expect, so maybe that's got something to do with it and the contractions were stronger or something.

DP was with me all of yesterday and was very lovely in looking after me, but had to go back to work today so it's just me and the cat. Definitely going to have a lazy day, I don't feel up to anything more to be honest!

Clemmers Wed 17-Jun-15 13:26:45

Hi there, I had a medical termination in April. Like you, the pain was unbearable, but it was over in around 5 hrs. Keep an eye on your bleeding, rest plenty and stay warm and cosy. Much love to you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now