Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.

Daughter just pregnant but had flu badly worried about baby

(7 Posts)
Makeup822 Mon 12-Jan-15 08:11:27

My daughter has just got pregnant through IVF after trying for 4 years. She had flu over Christmas and is going for a scan this Friday. Am so worried that it might have affected the baby. We have autism in the family (my nephew). Really am trying hard not to be an over anxious mum so have not said anything about this to her.

nutsinwinter Mon 12-Jan-15 08:15:53

I can imagine your concern. But please be aware that there is no known connection between flu in pregnancy and any sorts of problems. Take a few deep breaths. flowers

Makeup822 Mon 12-Jan-15 08:17:34

I know that I am probably over thinking things just want so badly for things to go right for her

Nolim Mon 12-Jan-15 08:19:01

I got the flu while pregnant. The gps and midwifes said it was not a problem for the baby. The only problem for the mum is that most of the flue medicines are nor reccomended during pregnancy so she will have a runny nose for a while but that is it.

Tealady1983 Mon 12-Jan-15 08:23:00

Autism isn't the end of the world, won't show on a scan and isnt caused by flu hmm

HTH

Hurr1cane Mon 12-Jan-15 08:33:52

I had flu while pregnant and the baby was fine. Yes he does have autism now but he was not born with it, he was born perfectly healthy. Something else caused that. Flu while pregnant doesn't cause autism. It is mainly you at risk.

I had swine flu while pregnant.

Baby was perfect. Hope this helps reassure in some way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now