Talk

Advanced search

Should I wait til 12 weeks before telling dd?

(12 Posts)
swiperfox Sun 14-Aug-05 12:43:55

She is 3.7 and would be over the moon but I'm only 6 weeks so it's very early days.

She also wants to know why we can't wrestle on the floor and why she can't jump on my belly anymore!!!

Nemo1977 Sun 14-Aug-05 12:45:42

I would just to make sure everything is ok. I know from going through mcs it can be hard to deal with never mind trying to explain to a 3 yr old. Just say shes getting to heavy to jump on your tummy.

ChaCha Sun 14-Aug-05 12:53:04

Firstly Congratulations

I too agree with Nemo. My DF told her DD a few days ago and isn't quite sure how many weeks gone she is (could be between 5-7) and DD talks about it all the time now. As i've said before, i was totally naive when i first conceived and didn't think twice about telling ppl, I would definitely wait for the 12 weeks milestone next time.
When my friends kids want to do their usual jump on my belly routine, I just tell them they can't jump on me anymore or that i'm not feeling well. They play doctor instead then

HTH, Big Congrats to you and wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy xx

Rachey1969 Sun 14-Aug-05 15:13:02

Congratulations! Beware that if you tell dd then the whole world will know! 9 months is a long time for a child, you will get a lot of 'is it here yet?' I can't remember when I told ds1 and ds2 about dd but this time dd is 7 and I waited until I had the dating scan - partly cos risk of miscarriage less and partly to show the picture as evidence! It is hard not explaining why you are sick, tired etc and I did get a lot of grief ie 'why didn't you tell us sooner'!

My bf has just had to terminate her pregnancy at 18 weeks due to a fatal condition. When she told my dd a few weeks (after her scan)ago she was preg, dd didn't believe her (probably because she is always joking with them). It was hard telling them the baby had died but it was even harder hearing dd tell bf 'I told you, you weren't pregnant' luckily bf understood.

bonkerz Sun 14-Aug-05 15:16:15

I made this mistake before. I had a mc at 7 weeks in july last year and didnt tell kids but when i got pregnant in december last year we waited till our 9 week scan and told DS and DSD about the baby, unfortunately our baby died a few days after the scan and we had to tell ds and dsd that the baby had gone to heaven! It was heartbreaking. I am now 20 weeks pregnant and did wait till we had had our 12 weeks scan to tell DS and DSD.

beetroot Sun 14-Aug-05 15:21:22

Message withdrawn

helsy Sun 14-Aug-05 15:31:20

We waited until 20 week scan, told her about it then took her with us to the scan to see a "photo" of the baby, and our dd was about the same age as yours. Even then she thought we'd be having the baby the next day

vickiyumyum Sun 14-Aug-05 15:36:15

my ds1 was 4 when i was preg with ds2, but waited until he asked why my tummy was so fat! (good to have an excuse!) and then told him this was about 6 1/2 to 7 months so not too long to wait and then let him choose a cuddly toy etc for the baby and i had a few late scans as ds2 was breech so let ds1 come to those.

just from experience my neighbour told her dd that she was going to have a baby sister or brother soon, this was at about 9 weeks and by the tiem the baby came her dd was bored and kept asking when they could send her brother back as she would prefer a new bike!

champs Sun 14-Aug-05 15:46:25

congrats!! I waited until our 20 week scan for both pregnancies to tell ds1, that would be the time we told other people anyway and ds1 isn't known for keeping secrets

champs Sun 14-Aug-05 15:47:38

forgot to add, just tell dd you have a sore tummy so she cant jump on it.

mummyhill Mon 15-Aug-05 13:16:28

Congrats. First time we told dd (3) straight away and the hardest thing was telling her that the baby had gone to heaven. This time we waited till mummy got to fat to be able to ignore it and took her to the 20 week scan with us and now she keeps asking when we can go fetch the baby (Not for another 3 weeks hopefully). We told her that mummy had a poorly tummy as well which seemed to work.

cori Mon 15-Aug-05 13:25:10

COngratulations, I know your excited and desperate to tell your DD, but I would wait. I didnt and had to tell DS that the baby 'had gone away' when I had a M/C at 17 weeks, I tell you, it is hell trying to explain to a small child when something goes wrong. DS still asks me if the baby is going to come back .
Personally, I would wait until after 20 week scan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now