Talk

Advanced search

All new singing & dancing, extra comfy, SPD sofa

(222 Posts)
xMrsSx Tue 15-Jun-10 17:51:59

Some useful links for all you ladies suffering from SPD/PGP or who think they might be...
www.acpwh.org.uk/docs/ACPWH-PGP_HP.pdf
and the pelvic partnership website is really useful.

If you think you might be suffering then get yourself down to the midwife for a physio referral and hopefully they can help: maternity belt/exercises/acupuncture etc etc.

If you are really struggling then... REST... it is the only thing that REALLY works.

And most important of all plonk (very gently) yourself down on this sofa, help yourself to cake, and get some advice/support from some very loverly ladeez! xxx

Hermya321 Tue 15-Jun-10 17:57:02

Eases self gingerly onto sofa, and takes piece of cake.

LooL00 Tue 15-Jun-10 19:47:39

I like this new sofa, lots more space and nice links to the most useful info. Now we just need some moaning to make us all feel at home.

Everyone needs to move over as the old sofa thread is nearly full! Even the lurkers and droppers in will have plenty of space on the new sofa.

Hope you're feeling a bit better mrsS sitting too much can be as bad as standing. Cushions help as they can make the chair a bit higher and a bit softer.

Off to sit on the gymball.

Stumbeline Tue 15-Jun-10 19:54:33

hello ladies!

so so glad i went onto mumsnet forums about this because i honestly thought i was suffering from this on my own!

with DS1 i suffered from it from very early on in the pregnancy. i told the midwives and i got referred to a physio, but she did absolutely nothing other than tell me to do my pelvic floors and give me a bit of paper with some light exercises. nothing worked so i stopped going. luckily i had a home water birth so i was pretty much left to my own devices and gave birth in a position that felt natural to me. i carried on having pelvic problems after the birth but have always been told that its normal and there is nothing i can do about it!

i'm 36+3 with DS2 and the pain is unbearable! i have been so depressed as i can't walk anymore and i'm pretty sure that its even more painful as the pregnancy progresses. i have been feeling so alone in this, and often wonder if people think i'm putting it on when one min i can walk and the next i'm holding on to the walls and surfaces for stability.

i'm pretty much bed bound at the moment. to top off the pelvic pain i also run out of breath really fast and get shaky and very tired even after having a meal. this never happened in my first pregnancy.

anywho, the midwife is coming tomorrow to check on me so will have a winge to her about it as i cant go on anymore.

LeoniPoni Tue 15-Jun-10 19:58:08

Oooh a fresh new thread! I likey grin

Still pregnant. Still in pain. Still hobbling like a 107 year old. Still moaning!!

MrsS Sorry you're having a bad day of it. Does having a bath help or does the getting in and out make you worse? And how is your essay? Making progress?

kt Glad you're crutchless now! How are you and the whole family getting on?

LooL00 Does the gymball help? It's probs a bit late in the day to be any use to me now but might be worth remembering for the future!

xMrsSx Tue 15-Jun-10 21:04:05

Essay??? What essay? shock

ktwiltshire Wed 16-Jun-10 08:13:07

hey everyone, love the new thread.

leoni we are all doing really well, DD3 is almost not jaundice anymore, thankfully, as she was actually due today, and therfore 2 1/2 weeks old now! the big ones are just about adjusting to the new family member, better than expected really.

Stumbeline i feel your pain, my physio also just told me to do pelvic floor exercises, gave me a support belt, cruthces and told me to get on with it. by 30 weeks i was wheelchair bound, so not exactly a big help!! i too was at the end of my teather at 36 weeks, at 36+2 i had a consultant appointment and thankfully they agreed to do what they offered previously, which was an induction at 37 weeks!

mookle Wed 16-Jun-10 09:17:23

Thanks KTwilshire for pointing me to this thread.

Hello I hope no one minds me crashing in - I am 36 + 6 weeks pregnant and have had mild/moderate PGP/SPD since about 15 weeks. The last couple of weeks have been getting steadily worse and today I just feel like crying. I feel like I cant carry on getting DS to school (I know this prob sounds pathetic) I am so tired, I cant sleep as PGP means lying in any one position for more than about 20 mins causes pain, then I have to turn over which cuases pain and that awful cracking/crunching thing in my pubic bone. I cant walk properly all my clothes dont fit and I struggle to get them on in the morning, the drive (DS attends school 6 miles away from where we live - semi rural)and walk up to school with DS is horrible even though its only a 2 min walk. I just dont know how IM goingto make it through the next 2 weeks (until ELCS) sad dont have anyone who can take DS for me and just feeling really down.

Has anyone any advice to how I can make it through this period without collapsing!!

mookle Wed 16-Jun-10 09:17:27

Thanks KTwilshire for pointing me to this thread.

Hello I hope no one minds me crashing in - I am 36 + 6 weeks pregnant and have had mild/moderate PGP/SPD since about 15 weeks. The last couple of weeks have been getting steadily worse and today I just feel like crying. I feel like I cant carry on getting DS to school (I know this prob sounds pathetic) I am so tired, I cant sleep as PGP means lying in any one position for more than about 20 mins causes pain, then I have to turn over which cuases pain and that awful cracking/crunching thing in my pubic bone. I cant walk properly all my clothes dont fit and I struggle to get them on in the morning, the drive (DS attends school 6 miles away from where we live - semi rural)and walk up to school with DS is horrible even though its only a 2 min walk. I just dont know how IM goingto make it through the next 2 weeks (until ELCS) sad dont have anyone who can take DS for me and just feeling really down.

Has anyone any advice to how I can make it through this period without collapsing!!

mookle Wed 16-Jun-10 09:18:02

No idea why that posted twice! sorry! blush

LooL00 Wed 16-Jun-10 09:42:59

Hi mookle just posted to you on the old thread, glad you've found the new one.

Hi stumbeline that makes 3 of us in week 36!!

Hi everyone!
I've had enough, I'm dragging myself about the house and dreading having to do anything at all. Can't even take dc2 to the library which is a 20m walk from the car. So dc2 is a bit bored and fed up with me, not much fun spending every afternoon with your mummy lying on the sofa and no one to play with.
I'm also growing out of my satin pjs and can't bring myelf to buy the next size up ( note to newcomers, satin jimjams make it easier to turn over in bed) maybe I need to do some sewing.
leoni yes gymballs are great but you may find it difficult to get used to at 39w. makes your back straight and as long as you don't hold onto anything exercises your pelvic floor just sitting on it. Nice and soft and easier to get up off than a chair. You're supposed to bounce on them in labour but I've always wanted to stand up more in labour so have never done that.I got dh to get mine from argos and he got the reebok 65cm as the reviews for the cheap ones were saying they didn't blow up properly and I'm 5'9" so i need it properly inflated.

I'm going back to bed while dc2 is a nursey.

LooL00 Wed 16-Jun-10 09:48:20

just bumping so the old thread gets left behind.

Stumbeline Wed 16-Jun-10 11:27:42

ktwiltshire you're lucky they actually gave you some props! i never got anything and was never even given any options for support belts/crutches/wheelchair. when i was pregnant with DS1 my DH bought me a support belt after seeing me in so much pain, but it didn't do anything i looked into your suggestion about being induced at 37 weeks, but i'm totally set on having another home water birth

i have a MASSIVE fear of needles and hospitals just don't do it for me.

mookle i'm the same as you at the moment. i just lie in bed while my DS runs around the house entertaining himself and DH gets home and cleans up after him! he's only 17months and doesn't really understand why mummy isn't playing or taking him out to his groups and activities anymore. i feel so bad that he has to suffer with me.

DH did put up a fight at the beginning when he realised that he had to get home from work and clean/cook/take care of DS. think now he's getting used to it tho i feel like shite as i just lie there and want to help but have no energy or can't even bend to pick something up.

anyways... i dragged myself out of bed this morning, had cheesecake for breakfast, and went back again! i plan to vegetate and watch the simpsons for the rest of the day, and then wash myself with a rag and a stick! pretty sure i'll end up on the news as fire fighters will have to remove the windows to get me out of the house!!

japhrimel Wed 16-Jun-10 14:02:28

Has anyone got any suggestions for when it's your hips instead of SPD or SI pain? I tried a support bump band yesterday and it helped my back, but subluxed my hips within 10 minutes shock. I'm really hoping I don't get SPD as well as the hip issue (I'm hypermobile anyway so high risk) as a support belt obviously isn't an option for me.

driedapricots Wed 16-Jun-10 17:08:28

hey, like the new sofa!

i'm at work today and don't know if sitting still at a PC all day is actually worse - i guess it's a case of rest, but move frequently too..??!

stumbe you poor thing! when are you due? sounds like you have dh well trained anyway

can anyone on here help me with the c-sect question? is spd grounds for an earlier c-sect.. I've got about as much movement now as i had a few days after my last EMCS anyway - i'm seeing consultant at the end of the month to confirm an ELCS this time and wondered if they'd bring it forward to 38 weeks instead of 39?

Kity Wed 16-Jun-10 17:23:42

Am new to this thread too! Hello all.
Just been diagnosed with SPD. Didn't have it first time round so this is a real shocker. At the moment, its much much worse in the evenings and bedtime is becoming a total joke. Still mobile in the days though, have got my support band which Im hoping will help.
Anyone any tips for sleeping pillow positioning etc in bed?
ANYTHING that would make the slightest bit of difference will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Stumbeline Wed 16-Jun-10 19:32:58

driedapricots im due on 12th July, but i think he may be here before then. i've been getting bh and period like pain so i may be lucky and get this business out of the way soon!

mw came and made an appointment for me to see physio so it upped my spirits up a bit. lol i'm sure the only reason dh is doing so much around the house is cuz i'm so emotional and start crying at pretty much anything i often wonder what its like to put up with a pregnant woman...

Kity welcome to the thread. i personally find that a firmer mattress helps. i position a pillow on either side - one to support the bump and the other to support my back while i lie on my side. try to keep legs together when getting in and out of bed, and sometimes a pillow in between your legs/knees could also help... you'll soon have your very own pillow fort!

ktwiltshire Wed 16-Jun-10 19:38:34

mookle what pain killers are you on? i know lots of people dont like to take painkillers of any kind, let alone heavy duty ones in pregnancy, but if it helps you get through to the end without going stark raving mad, then it is worth it.
if you talk to your midwife and GP they should agree between them what painkillers you can try. my team agreed on paracetamol and codeine, and we gradually increased the codeine as my pain got worse through the pregnancy.

stumbeline cheesecake for breakfast is the best thing you could have done!!!! i would suggest maybe trying ebay, there are a fair few mobility stores where you can buy new cruthces on the cheap. i actually bought a new wheelchair for £50, a huge relief for me, and a big help as i could get out a bit more when DH was around to push me

driedapricots most consultants wont bring forward the csection without massive reason, especially if theyve already agreed to give you one, they wont like bringing it forward as its seen as just a complication for you. I was offered either induction at 37 or csection at 39, i really wanted just the csection at 39, but i was at the end of my tether and chose induction over going up to morphine. i ended up with an emergency csection because after 3 days of trying to induce me with everything known to man the baby got in distress.

its worth an ask - as when i got to hospital for the actual induction they made me jump through hoops to actually have the induction as it was a different dr and they decided they didnt want to risk it until i cried my eyes out and begged them to either induce me or give me morphine to get through the 2 weeks i would have to wait; at that point they offered csection at 38, but i burst into tears a few more times (completly legit i was about to tear out my hair and set it on fire crazy) and they agreed to induce me after a ultrasound to check the babies size.

japhrimel rest!!!!! lots and lots of rest, its about the only thing to avoid things getting worse. my support belt did anything but help for most of the pregnancy, and is only beginning to help now im post pregnancy.

i made it up into my little coffee/bar place in town today, without stopping!!!!!!! wooooooooooo i havent done that in forever. im in pain seriously now, but im not keeled over in pain, so im over the moon about that!

mookle Wed 16-Jun-10 19:40:24

driedapricots - not sure if they will bring forward ELCS for SPD - I am having an ELCS and have SPD but they wont do CS before 39 weeks due to research suggesting there is higher risk of breathing probs if born before 39 weeks. However each hospital may be different - I guess its worth asking! Let me know what they say Id be interested to know

mookle Wed 16-Jun-10 19:44:20

ktwilshire - the midwife and Gp have given me paracetemol and codeine too but Im so reluctant to take it as Ive had to be monitored twice at hospital for baby having an irregular heart beat and I am terrified it might make it worse! I may have to start taking it just to get me up in the mrning but to be honest, it will prob kick in about the time I get back from doing the school run so it might not be worth it!

herbietea Wed 16-Jun-10 19:46:56

Message withdrawn

Hermya321 Wed 16-Jun-10 20:41:59

Driedapricots I think thats the key, I've been at work and if really flares up if I just sit at the PC all day so I take little walks out of the office and up and down the corridor. Plus it helps to break up the day.

Does SPD come and go, mine seems to be ok one minute and then the next it's a bit eye watering and makes me want to curl up in a ball and hide away somewhere.

I feel like I'm managing with it at the moment and I hope it stays this way at least for the next several weeks. I suppose at the end I won't want to do anything more than veg in front of the TV will I.

I went and bought my cot today, or rather my Mum did. It's so lovely, it's dark wood and looks very classy (at least I think so). We also got our pram delivered today, me and DH had a lot of fun fiddling around with all the bits and bobs. The giant bear that we sort of adopted after winning him in a raffle seemed very content in it as well. If only real babies/bears were that quiet.

japhrimel Thu 17-Jun-10 11:23:10

Fwiw, you can ask your GP to prescribe the codeine seperate to the paracetamol so you can titrate the doses effectively. I used to get this for my Fibromyalgia and it made life a lot easier as I could take a Panadol when I first needed something and then add in the codeine a little bit at a time if I then needed it as well. It meant I avoided the choice of taking either nothing or everything I had (which often meant I went without painkillers).

Btw, Panadol made in warm water will work a lot faster than tablet paracetamol too. If you get your DH to bring you some before you get out of bed, it should've started kicking in about 15-20 minutes later. If you want to stick with co-codamol, the soluble stuff works faster there too.

I'm finding my side sleeper pillow and then memory foam pillow to support my head at the right height are absolutely crucial. Plus we've put old duvets under the sheet to make it softer.

LooL00 Thu 17-Jun-10 12:19:11

Hi there sofa loungers!
yes hermya spd comes and goes and rest really helps.But you've got to keep moving to a different resting spot.

japhrimel the belts vary and I'v neve worn mine for more than 10 mins at time. I put it on to do the washing up thn take it off to sit down.How many weeks are you?
*dried apricots* sitting still is really bad. Could you sit on a gym ball sometimes at your pc?

Hope you're feeling better mookle i meant to say yesterday that comfy clothes really help. i have only 2 outfits, a dress and a tunic with over bump short leggings. Not flattering but who cares?maybe you could do a quick online shop.

Hi * herbietea* glad to see you're still on the sofa with us and thanks for the satin jimjams tip!

Glad to see you're getting so much better kt.

mookle Thu 17-Jun-10 12:38:21

Hi Lool00 - I have just ordered some stuff to wear and am waiting for it arrive smile I got all my clothes ready last night and that really helped as faffing about trying to find something in the morning just isnt an option anymore - my spd is way worse in the mornings.

japhrimel - I am seeing the MW this afternoon so will mention that about the painkillers.

Hope everyone else is OK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now