Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

folic acid after 3 months?

(21 Posts)
fireflyz Sun 16-May-10 08:19:57

I'm 13 weeks + 1 and wondering if I should still be taking folic acid.

On the packet it says to take it pre-conception and for the 1st 3 months of pregnancy.

I've taken it for abut 6 months pre-conception as well as every day since conceiving.

I guess it won't do any harm to carry on taking it, will it?

What have other people been advised to do?

ktwiltshire Sun 16-May-10 08:26:50

wont do any harm to keep taking it, but ive been advised by midwife that its for the first trimester only, in that benefits are shown for taking it up to that point but not after as i understand it

Jacksmybaby Sun 16-May-10 10:06:28

Also I was told by MW it can make morning sickness worse so if you have been / are still suffering with that, stop taking the folic acid after 13 wks.

lou19 Sun 16-May-10 10:11:16

My mum is a midwife and she said there is no point in taking it after the first trimester, as by that point the neural tube is closed, and the whole point of taking folic acid is to prevent neural tube diseases.

Sarahlou8 Sun 16-May-10 13:33:11

I'm 17 weeks and still taking pregnacare, and will do all the way through. Its specified for the whole of pregnancy and although I feel my diet is fine, I haven't had a cold or bug while taking it.
Enough reason to carry on for me smile

TheBride Sun 16-May-10 14:34:59

My Obs told me to stop taking it as I was starting to rattle with all the supplements (also taking hard core iron tablets and Vit D) and she said there's no further benefit after 13 weeks.

It's not harmful to take it though.

Mimi1977 Sun 16-May-10 15:02:00

I take pregnacare now and will for the rest of my pregnancy - I did before because it contains all the other essential vitamins. My midwife said I could stop at 12 weeks but it wouldn't do any harm to continue. I eat a healthy diet anyway but this is good if I have an off day! I then changed to pregnacare breastfeeding after I gave birth and will do again.

luciemule Sun 16-May-10 15:11:33

I took pregnacare before, during and after pregnancy to make sure I was being topped up.

emble Sun 16-May-10 17:51:04

Although the research is so far uncorroborated, one study has shown that taking folic acid after 3 months leads to an increase in asthma incidence. It's not worth worrying about - it was a small study - but might be worth considering, if you're thinking of giving it up.

Guardian article about it here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/nov/04/asthma-folic-acid-pregnancy-research

Perso nally, I'm stopping at 12 weeks, because I'm convinced it's making me feel sick!

fireflyz Sun 16-May-10 18:00:57

Really helpful, thanks everyone.

yama Sun 16-May-10 19:34:27

Emble - I read that article and stopped taking folic acid because of it at around 14 weeks.

bronzekitten Mon 22-Aug-11 16:22:58

Saw my GP this morning for first appt. I have been taking Boots Conception support tablets and she said to carry on with them when I mentioned about stopping them at 12 weeks. If they make you feel ill then I guess you should stop them but it's not going to hurt to continue

BuffyFan Mon 22-Aug-11 16:49:50

I've been taking plain old Superdrug pregnancy vits, and just not worrying about the fact that they have folic acid in them (now 27 wks). My diet's OK but not great, so I'm figuring it's better to take one thing I don't need than not take many things that I might need!

G1nger Mon 22-Aug-11 17:01:24

Plain old Sainsbury's vitamins over here. About a third of the price of pregnacare smile I've been taking them all the way through.

Sandra2011 Mon 22-Aug-11 17:19:27

"The increased risk, if there is any, is only just statistically significant. Asthma is treatable whereas spina bifida is a serious and lifelong condition"

I took Pregnacare Plus all through my last pregnancy and planning to do the same also this time.

It has all the vitamins and nutriens mom and baby need.

nickelbabe Mon 22-Aug-11 17:22:32

i'm glad you posted this.
I took it religiously while ttc and for the first 13-15 weeks, once I was pg, i took it as part of a pg vitamin tablet "package".
after the 13-15 weeks, i kind of dropped off taking it - i wasn't feeling ill or tired as much and just kept not thinking about it.
i probably take the multi-vit once or twice a week now.

it's definitely worth switching from just folic acid to a mulit-vitamin aimed at pg women.
smile

herecomesthsun Mon 22-Aug-11 18:49:10

vit tabs ok but make sure they don't include vit A

nickelbabe Tue 23-Aug-11 14:12:09

exactly, sun - get the ones aimed at pregnant women. smile

PamBeesly Tue 23-Aug-11 14:15:32

My midwife told me she'd recommend me taking pregnancare for another while because I wasn't eating a lot and have completely gone of eggs and meat, she said although it won't have much benefits for the baby it would be good for me in the long run

mummyzoe2012 Tue 23-Aug-11 19:52:00

i was recomended to take it for the 1st 12 weeks but had to stop after 3 as it was making me vomit realy bad, baby is realy healthy and im 18 weeks 4 days.

Beesok Tue 23-Aug-11 23:00:01

I take the Biocare one and continue to do so because it has a lot of other essential minerals and vit including zinc etc I haven't had any nausea or sickness but I go through phases where I completely lose my appetite so I know I am not eating as well as I should sometimes even though I try to force myself so the supplements might help to keep nutrients at a better level,
interesting re asthma though - well, sadly I do have asthma already and it runs in my family so kind of preparing myself that baby might get it too sad (fingers crossed not!)
I am also taking a prenatal DHA supplement as I heard it is good for brain development esp. in last trimester and it's a hard one to get enough off in your diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now