Talk

Advanced search

Not lying flat after 12wks

(14 Posts)
Chuffed Thu 04-Aug-05 09:52:33

Currently almost 17wks pregnant and from 12wks on I slept propped up on a V pillow on a normal pillow so that I wasn't lying flat with my last pregnancy. Have done the same thing with this pregnancy so far but am going travelling for 20-28wks and won't have enough space to take extra pillow(s) so wondering if everybody props themselves up as worried about harm to bubs.

gigglinggoblin Thu 04-Aug-05 09:55:56

i never slept propped up at all and my three are all fine. have never even heard of it being a problem tbh. i used pillows to prop up bump in later months but only for my own comfort. hth

bonkerz Thu 04-Aug-05 09:57:32

Am 19 weeks and sleep flat but with pillow under my legs rather than my head!! Such a pain but this is the best way for me cos i am used to sleeping on my tummy!!

compo Thu 04-Aug-05 09:58:59

I just slept normally throughout my pregnancy and didn't have any problems. I think you can worry too much about these things

hunkermunker Thu 04-Aug-05 10:02:38

I'm 17 weeks tomorrow and still sleeping on my front...not through choice - go to sleep on my side and end up on my front in the night! It's getting uncomfy and I loathe sleeping any other way, so am in for some months of discomfort from now

Never slept propped up except when heartburn got too uncomfy to sleep flatter in the latter months.

Why do you sleep propped?

giraffeski Thu 04-Aug-05 10:08:15

Message withdrawn

Chuffed Thu 04-Aug-05 10:10:38

cool won't worry quite so much then. Giraffeski that is exactly my reasoning for not lying flat. To be honest I'm always on my stomach at the mo too HM it's one of the things I hate most about being pregnant is not being able to lie on my stomach.

alterego Thu 04-Aug-05 10:12:31

I've never been told to say if I feel faint ....
I think the business about lying flat only applies to the end of pregnancy and even then, I don't know how you're supposed to prevent it. I go to sleep on my side as I'm more comfortable like that but often find that I wake up on my back. I suspect that if there was a problem during the night you'd start to feel uncomfortable and would switch position anyway. At any rate, I've never heard of anyone passing out in the middle of the night or baby suffering because they slept on their back, although I suppose there must be some evidence somewhere or we wouldn't get this advice.

SoupDragon Thu 04-Aug-05 10:13:30

I can still remember the sense of relief as they wheeled me off for repair after having DS1 - I was lying on my back on the trolley and it was bliss.

sweetkitty Thu 04-Aug-05 10:14:18

I usually sleep on my stomach still am (17 weeks) I'll be all over the place soon as I have painful hips and pelvis and turning in bed really hurts.

Nik72 Thu 04-Aug-05 10:19:37

If you're worried about sleeping on your back get a wedge pillow from mothercare and that'll tilt you enough. Having said that I quite often woke up flat on my back when pg, not much you can do about moving in your sleep!!

shhhh Thu 04-Aug-05 11:13:32

While pregnant I asked my doctor about lying on my side and about the vena cava issue and he replied that it wasn't something he was aware of! I also asked my mw and she replied the same. In fact she advised me to sleep in any position I could get comfortable in...You are better sleeping how you can/want to at the early stage as it's a nightmare to get comfortable during the late stage !
Suppose everyone has different advice.

Kelly1978 Thu 04-Aug-05 11:18:07

It won't harm baby, like soem others have said, it is to do with the vein that the baby might lay on, whcih would cause you to faint. I don't think it will be a prob that early in pg. If you are worried, or do feel faint layign on your back you only need to put a rolled up jumper or soemthing under one buttock and lower back to do the trick. I had to be extra careful when pg with twins, whenever I went in hosp they would make sure I was not flat on my back, and when I had my section the table was tilted (which felt very scary).

giraffeski Thu 04-Aug-05 11:25:21

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now