Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

kicks in the ribcage

(11 Posts)
greenbug Fri 29-Jul-05 18:31:22

Hi all,

Are kicks on the ribs a normal thing for 31 wks? I am not getting those yet which i think confirms the last finding of my mw that the baby is lying across the belly. everytime i go for a mw appointment the baby is lying in a different position.

need you opinion and epxerience on the subject... first pg here so discovering new things as i go along.

cheers!

zubb Fri 29-Jul-05 18:36:49

it just depends on the babies position. There isn't a 'normal' at this stage. Baby will still be able to move around for a while. Be grateful you haven't had the kicking under the ribs position yet - it's most uncomfortable!

fastasleep Fri 29-Jul-05 18:57:39

I agree with zubb! Very uncomfy! Don't worry about not getting them, it doesn't mean anything!

greenbug Fri 29-Jul-05 21:08:39

If the bump is low, does it mean that the baby wouldn't reach the ribs anyway?

zubb Fri 29-Jul-05 22:25:50

again depends on how long the baby is and in what position. I have long babies and their legs and arms get everywhere! At the moment mine is on the brim of engaging so head is well down, but I get lumps sticking out by my ribs on either side as he wriggles around, and I'm 34 weeks.

suzi2 Sun 31-Jul-05 09:50:33

I'm 39wks and have never had kicks in the ribs - even though baby has been head down and bum/legs up all the time. I know my ribcage did move well to the side so perhaps this is why.

LadyLazarus Sun 31-Jul-05 10:16:59

I am 33 weeks, baby is head down, but I haven't had any kicks in the ribs yet... I wouldn't worry about it too much. As someone else said, probably just depened on the position, where the legs are going.

highlander Sun 31-Jul-05 12:30:32

my DS was an awkward lie (oblique?) and I was frequently bashed in the ribcage. I had horrendous back pain from about 33 wks (roughly) onwards. I opted for an elective CS anyway, but even then they had to ventouse him out. The doctor said afterwards - "believe me, be very glad you didn't try and push him out"

Miaou Sun 31-Jul-05 12:40:11

I'm 40 weeks today with my third and have never been kicked in the ribs with any of them! I carry low and my babies are all small, so that could be a reason. Even when this one stretches it's legs don't catch under my ribs.

Enjoy it while it lasts greenbug!

serenity Sun 31-Jul-05 13:04:50

I remember kicks in the ribcage, mine used to feel like they had got their feet caught underneath my bottom rib, and were trying to push it out. I used to have to push their feet back out!

I used to get this because all three were lying facing the wrong way, they were OP which meant their spines were against my spine and they were facing out (optimium position is with baby facing towards your spine). Have you still got a belly button? It seems like a strange question, but it's the curve of the baby's back that pushes it out.

greenbug Mon 01-Aug-05 07:06:11

Hiaya all,

thanks for sharing all this with me.
serenity, I read this about the belly button too. I have the upper part sort of stuch out but the rest is flat whan i stand, but when I sit it's there is still sort of a belly button.... so that sort of makes me think that the baby is not lying with it's spine against my belly yet, and probably still not head down. I've had 3 different opinion about the position of the baby and the last one was transverse (lying across the belly)... so now I am confused and really want to pick up all the signals which indicate the position of the baby.
would I be able to get a scan at this stage (31 wks) to confirm or it's just waste asking my mw for it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: