Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I've gone off food!

(18 Posts)
lulabelle Fri 29-Jul-05 13:58:30

I'm 18+6 and have had a pretty rough time of it (second baby), last week I started to feel better, no sickness, not as tired felt better in myself, etc. However, this week I seem to have gone off all food and I'm really struggling to eat. I keep saying to myself that this is about the only time in life when you can eat as you like and I should enjoy it. I lived on soup in the earlier pg days, I have had no cravings but gone off a lot of foods, I'm vegetarian and usually eat loads of steamed veg, but the thought of this makes me feel awful. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I know how important it is for the baby and that is what worries me, everything seems to smell or taste funny? I really can't think of anything I fancy to eat!!

Cadmum Fri 29-Jul-05 14:29:35

lulabelle: This is not particularly helpful but I know exactly how you feel. I am only 8 weeks with this pg but I am already finding it very challenging to find something that I actually want to eat. With my DD (my second pregnancy) the feeling did get worse around 17-18 weeks.
Are you managing to gain weight? Do you still feel sick?

sweetkitty Fri 29-Jul-05 14:32:11

I'm the exact same with DD and this pregnancy appetite has gone right out the window and all I do seem to wnat to eat is junkfood. Am trying to force fruit down and take a multivit.

Chuffed Fri 29-Jul-05 14:37:19

I have the sweetest tooth ever at the moment.
Write a food diary - it does help and try to eat enough so your multivitamin is absorbed.
Your baby will suck everything they need out of you.
what about breakfast cereal, lots of them are infused with good stuff and you'll be getting extra calcium from milk.
Dried fruit such as apricots eaten with a glass of OJ are really good for iron.

mememum Fri 29-Jul-05 14:44:44

I had this in both pregnancies and found my appetite increased towards the end, week 30 onwards. My midwife advised me not to stress out about it, it will make you feel worse. Also don't let others go on about it that can make problem seem worse.
Try and eat child sized portions of whatever you fancy as wherever possible.
I did lose weight but my daughters weighed 8lb6oz and 9lb3oz respectively. Whatever you eat they will take all the goodness they can!

lulabelle Fri 29-Jul-05 16:27:09

I have been told that it is a 'girl' thing, everyone who has had these problems has had a girl! My first baby ds, now 3.5, gave me no problems at all, I had no sickness, I liked food and I had cravings, this is the complete opposite so maybe the theory is right! He was 8.8 at birth and gained from then onwards.
I try to eat fruit as I can manage this better than the veg, mainly grapes and nectarines and some salads for lunch, I have been eating cereals for dinner and having a bigger lunch, mainly so as I'm not up all night with indigestion!

lulabelle Fri 29-Jul-05 16:29:11

I meant to also say I have had a thing for really cold orange juice which would help but this is one of the main causes setting off the indigestion. I have also had some headaches, does anyone know if you can use that 4head stuff that you see advertised on the tv (the one you roll on like a deo)??

Nemo1977 Fri 29-Jul-05 16:33:09

lulabelle i posted something similair last week about going off food and dh getting annoyed with me. someone suggested grazing a bit which ive been trying to do.

I am 20wks now and it hit at around 18wks..also second baby so just ot let u know i empahtise

lulabelle Fri 29-Jul-05 16:35:57

Nemo1977, what is grazing?

Cainsmum Fri 29-Jul-05 16:39:59

I had the same thing, was a bit upset because I was worried about the baby (being sick lots as well). My MW said baby would be fine and you do not need to eat much more at the start of pg. More important to keep drinking. Now have a healthy 3 month old, and went back to normal clothes only 3 weeks after giving birth

lulabelle Fri 29-Jul-05 16:40:15

sweetkitty, funny you say that about junk food, I love pizza but have gone off it during pregnancy (almost straight away) but love the chip shop (which I usually hate!) and the chinese, indian, etc. I thought it was just because that involves no shopping, washing up, etc. but I have even gone off that, my DH said the other night whatever you want I will get but I couldn't think of anything at all, all I want is ice cold drinks.

Nemo1977 Fri 29-Jul-05 16:41:22

soryr lol just ot eat little bits often rather than sit down to a meal as it tends to put me off. ?Be interested to know if there is anything in the theory og girls being like this as i had none of this with DS. However i am convinced its a boy so we shall see

lulabelle Fri 29-Jul-05 16:46:27

Nemo1977, 3 of my friends were pg same time as me with ds1, they were all poorly and couldn't believe how well I was, they all had girls and I had ds. This time another 1 of them is pg, she had her 20 week scan 2 weeks ago and has found out that she is having a girl, she was convinced - and still is - that the new baby is a boy. Other replies on here seem to show that these symptoms have been baby girls. I have my 20 week scan mid-August and I'm hoping to find out so I'll let you know.

lulabelle Fri 29-Jul-05 16:48:26

Cainsmum, I like the idea of being back in my own clothes after 3 weeks!

Cainsmum Fri 29-Jul-05 16:51:27

I had a boy!!!!

lulabelle Fri 29-Jul-05 16:54:30

Girl theory disapproved!! Ha ha, maybe its just me trying to guess at the sex!

lulabelle Fri 29-Jul-05 16:55:15

Nemo1977, just seen you on another thread, you must be due around the same time as me (christmas day for me!)

Nemo1977 Fri 29-Jul-05 18:26:41

lullabelle am due the 16th dec but with ds went 15 days over wo we shall see..lol
have you had a look on the dec thread lovely bunch of ladies there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now