Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant but with everything else thats going on sometimes wish I weren't!!

(17 Posts)
sweetkitty Fri 29-Jul-05 11:33:07

I feel awful for typing this but I have a DD whos a year, we always wanted out children close together so we started trying for number 2 when DD was 9 months, of course this time round we did one lot of "trying" and I got pregnant! Initially we were both delighted but with everything else thats happening right now another baby seems the last thing we need.

This is whats happening right now:life

I feel that if I weren't pregnant with this baby I could get a new job and help out financially. We are living in a scummy one bed flat right now with DD and 3 cats and I can't stay here forever but there is no option. I feel so awful thinking like this as it's not the babies fault and if the situation were different I would be so so happy. We are facing possible bankruptcy with 2 babies and me not able to work for at least another year.

Toothache Fri 29-Jul-05 12:10:19

Aw SK thats just horrible isn't it.... I mean your situation! I can totally understand your feelings and try not to beat yourself up about it.

I don't know what else is happening just now coz that link doesn't work. But I know it's to do with your house move.

How many weeks are you at the moment? You can still work even if you're pregnant. Agency work is short term anyway, sometimes just 2 or 3 weeks at a time. Would you be able sort out childcare for your dd if you did that?

sweetkitty Fri 29-Jul-05 12:12:14

trust me not for the link to work the thread title is So fed up - my life right now? and it's under Feeling depressed

Don't know if I could do agency work really and if I did it would be outside Glasgow or Edinburgh so by the time I sort out childcare then travelling I don't even know if it would be worth it.

Toothache Fri 29-Jul-05 12:15:38

SK - If you can use a PC (clearly you can ) then you can do Agency work. And there is work all over! In fact mostly in Glasgow!

Why don't you register with a couple, you have nothing to lose. You just send your CV in by email. Could you do Admin type work? You could probably get £7.50 or more an hour doing that. Would that make a difference?

Try these Agencies:

Morson International (I've worked through them since 2001)
Vital Resources
Hays Personnel

What type of work do you do?

sweetkitty Fri 29-Jul-05 12:18:55

Don't think I could do admin type work have never done anything like it before.

I used to work in the food industry one of the reasons we moved from Scotland was because I couldn't get a job in the first place. Our plan was to come back get smaller mortgage (more house) and I would be a SAHM for a few years.

Toothache Fri 29-Jul-05 12:19:35

Are you a micro biologist?

sweetkitty Fri 29-Jul-05 12:19:54

yes!

expatinscotland Fri 29-Jul-05 12:20:14

At least you have a home to sell. Haven't got a hope in hell of ever getting a mortgage here.

Living hand to mouth is part of daily life for many of us.

Toothache Fri 29-Jul-05 12:22:21

Couldn't you write to the local Uni's and ask if there are any lab jobs?

Also..... I studied Marine Biology at Uni (microbiology was my favourite unit ), but my first real job was working through an Agency inputting Customer names into a database for £5.20 an hour (not bad 5 yrs ago). It's just data input and you can do it in the evenings. Not rocket science, but it normally pays pretty well and is flexible.

sweetkitty Fri 29-Jul-05 12:22:31

Thats true expat at least we have the flat in London but for how much longer I don't know.

Toothache Fri 29-Jul-05 12:24:01

... and I'd NEVER worked in an office environment. My next job was through Morson working in a Pigment Production Plant, doing Admin stuff. I had NO experience of that at all, but could use a PC. I worked there through my whole pregnancy with ds and that paid £8 per hour.

sweetkitty Fri 29-Jul-05 12:25:07

thanks toothy the thing with microbiology is it is really badly paid lab jobs are about 10K I know thats a lot for some people and I sound like an ungrateful pain but I would get more working in a factory.

Might look for something part time around here meantime.

SaintGeorge Fri 29-Jul-05 12:32:20

That low?

I worked for the Public Health Laboratory Service over 10 years ago and the MLSO's were on over £15K pa then.

Toothache Fri 29-Jul-05 12:38:02

SK - Tell me about it! Thats why I've never used my degree.

I have just searched on Hays Personnel and they have a

Data Input job for £6.50 - £7 per hour... Glasgow West End. Temporary for 4 wks +

And

Admin Assistant. £7 per hour Glasgow. 10 week duration.

I know these probably aren't ideal, but I just wanted to highlight to you that there is temporary work out there that might help you over the next 5mths or so.

sweetkitty Fri 29-Jul-05 12:44:22

Saint George - I don't have the right degree to work as an MLSO, I applied for a 7K a year job when I left uni 8 years ago, it was in a hospital micro lab and was told I didn't have the right degree (microbiology) and would need to go back to uni and do a year of a biomedical science degree.

A job for me might be a short term fix but what we need to do is sell our flat.

SaintGeorge Fri 29-Jul-05 13:04:56

Ah, sorry, wasn't sure what the requirements were.

sweetkitty Fri 29-Jul-05 13:50:20

no it's ok at the time seemed mad to me that a 2.1 in microbiology was not classes as suitable for a trainee MSLO position in a microbiology lab yet a ordinary (not even 3rd class) Biomedical Sciences degree was!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now