Talk

Advanced search

Painting the Nursery

(13 Posts)
lay82 Wed 21-Apr-10 08:55:19

I have read and been advised that when painting the nursery we should use low or VOC free paint.

I can not find much variety in this sort of paint and wondered what everyone else thought about this and whether they had used 'normal' paint. I am guessing that you would need to use the VOC free Gloss as well, if such a thing exists?!

Baby will not go into her nursery until at least December but apparently the chemicals linger in the air for years after you have painted.

What has everyone else done here?

DorotheaPlenticlew Wed 21-Apr-10 09:22:42

Just google it, look for local suppliers etc. It is more expensive but good if you can stretch to it.

We just used Little Greene Paint Co paint in our loo (a tiny room, so the expense was not such an issue). I love it -- beautiful colour, and seriously no smell at all. IT was the first time we have bothered to be extra-green about paint; the room is right next to DS's bedroom and we are expecting DC2 next week, so we thought it was worth the bother.

They do a range of different textures etc and are pretty widely available, so you should be able to find what you need.

Ladyemmalou83 Wed 21-Apr-10 09:26:31

oh bugger....I really wasnt aware of that, and I painted our nursery yesterday with a B&Q Satin finsih paint.

DorotheaPlenticlew Wed 21-Apr-10 09:34:03

TBH I think most people do just use normal paint, wouldn't beat yourself up!

We used normal paint in DS's bedroom, as well as other rooms in the flat, when we were expecting him in 2007.

The high-quality low-VOC paint is just out of budget for most people -- including us in most cases. It was only 'cos our loo is so very small (one pot of paint) that we could afford it this time.

LooL00 Wed 21-Apr-10 10:58:56

Don't worry ladyemmalou most of the big brands and the own brands are pretty low VOC these days if it's emulsion. It's the gloss you've got to be careful with.

emsyj Wed 21-Apr-10 11:25:41

We (or rather FIL) have painted ours with Dulux matt emulsion (in pale citrus, for anyone interested!) with eggshell woodwork... Had no idea about this rule. It will be Christmas before baby goes in there anyway, and it's been painted now for about 2 months so feel okay about risking it... I guess.

Ladyemmalou83 Wed 21-Apr-10 13:42:35

phew........! My LO wont be in there till she is 6 months, so that will prob be dec/jan so that should help things then

butterscotch Wed 21-Apr-10 14:10:21

We used normal emulsion and one coat gloss for dd nearly 3 and the one ontheir way! Well vented room after painting and should be fine! I've never heard o this rule but at 8.5months pregnant just been painting downstairs loo (can't sit doing nothing!) and it has something about low emissiikns on the side! That's a b&q colour collection paint! Fwiw it has no smell or odour! X

DorotheaPlenticlew Wed 21-Apr-10 16:02:38

It is one of those things that is not so much a rule as an "in an ideal world ..." thing, I believe. Low VOC paint, marketed on that basis, has only been around a short time (like, a few years) as far as I know.

MumtoF Wed 21-Apr-10 20:08:54

Apparently our houses are a major build up of toxicity with all the chemicals - carpets, laminates, cleaning products, mattresses, unwashed curtain fabrics etc. Most of the big manufacturers have low VOC listed on the side but unless you are going to go completely green crazy and go natural/undyed on all products you use throughout the house just air the room well and try to get it done a few months before the baby moves into it. It is just one more parenting paranoia to add to the list! It is not as bad as when they used lead in paint!

Try not to worry, just wash everything well and leave the windows open.

jennimoo Thu 22-Apr-10 06:35:40

I'm just painting nursery, but thought low VOC was better for me and baby now, didn't know it lasted in to the future!

All the emulsions we looked at were low or minimal VOC but it's the gloss to look for. Nice b&q man pointed out that quick dry gloss is water based and generally low VOC which really helped us spot which one to get. Don't know how it compares to normal gloss, as only on the Walls still at the mo!

HenryandIndiasDad Fri 14-Nov-14 14:30:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

smogsville Fri 14-Nov-14 17:50:55

Farrow and ball is fine as water-based I think? (And hope! Otherwise poor DD!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now