Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Camping at a working farm whilst pregnant - is that a problem?

(12 Posts)
baggybear Tue 26-Jul-05 18:07:48

WOW!! Haven't been on MN for ages and start 2 threads in a couple of days! Not bad going!!

I'm off camping this weekend (providing weather isn't bad) with my family and some friends, but the campsite is on a working farm. We booked this trip a couple of weeks ago BEFORE i found out i am pregnant (5 weeks). I know there is a risk to unborn babies when sheep are lambing, but how about the rest of the time? Does anyone out there know!!??!!??!

Not very enthusiastic about going coz I know I'll worry the whole time I'm there. Don't want anything to happen to Baby.

Miaou Tue 26-Jul-05 18:14:13

I would say you will be fine, as long as you take reasonable precautions - eg stay away from any poo (including removing it from kids' feet - leave that to your dh ), and don't pet/touch the animals. I would also be wary of using farm produce (eg eggs) although I'm sure with all the stringent H&S stuff they have to go through these days that it'll all be fine. If you do use farm eggs make sure they are washed before you handle them.

emmatmg Tue 26-Jul-05 18:16:06

ditto miaou but can I ask where it is your going?

We'd love to do that and I have no idea where to start looking.

SoupDragon Tue 26-Jul-05 18:22:23

As you said, the main farm problem if you're pregnant is in lambing season - you musn't come into contact with new born lams or afterbirth (why would you??!). it's the only specific warnig I've ever seen at children's farms wrt pregnancy.

Other than that, I think it's just sensible precautions wrt cleanliness and palming off any poo related jobs onto your DH (just because you've got an excuse!).

baggybear Tue 26-Jul-05 18:26:27

Thank you Miaou and emmatmg. Great advice. Will make sure I'm extra careful. I'm not a big "nature" person anyway, in fact I'm amazed I was talked into camping at all, pregnant or not!

emmatmg - the campsite we are going to is near Eastbourne, called Fairfields Farm. We found it on www.ukcampsite.co.uk which is a great website. You can put in where you want to go and it will give you loads of sites in that area.

baggybear Tue 26-Jul-05 18:27:32

Thank you too Soupdragon!

emmatmg Tue 26-Jul-05 18:33:50

Thanks Baggy.
I'll have alook once kids are in bed.

Ekkk just noticed I posted "your" instead of "you're" earlier on....can't let that on go without correcting myself!

baggybear Tue 26-Jul-05 18:36:25

Ooooo, emmatmg! Don't worry - I have to stop myself writing text language most of the time!!

baggybear Wed 27-Jul-05 09:06:20

Well, any of you that are in the South-east will know what I mean when I say " I'm not going camping in this!!!!". It'll be like Glastonbury but without the music!!

Really can't see me going this weekend, got rotten morning sickness, and don't fancy running to the toilet block every 10mins to vom!!!

teuch Wed 27-Jul-05 16:25:39

Hi, just want to chuck in my tuppence-worth!

we regularly visit my husband's family farm, including during lambing which just required extra precautions.

THere is no other specific risk to you on the farm, just that the general risks can be more serious (similar to getting listeriosis from brie...can happen to anyone but serious if preg).

Just enjoy the experience! All sensible precautions likehandwashing and keep antibacterial wet wipes hand for after touching or contact with animals/areas.

For the record, I have been rolling fleeces, patting calves, driving tractors and been in contact safely with all aspects of farm life! Hope that helps put mind at ease and Have Fun!

baggybear Wed 27-Jul-05 22:05:02

Thank you Teuch! Your tuppence was worth a lot more to me! Will go camping (weather permitting) and enjoy it. Thank you again.

baggybear Sun 31-Jul-05 18:36:10

Sorry to bring this thread back to the top (!) but just wanted to let thoses who gave me advice know that I did it and all went well (I think!). Didn't get close to animals, although DS's and DH went fishing a couple of times so i ordered them to scrub their hands when they returned. As it turned out the only thing i had to worry about was the blow-up bed deflating and the bloody geese wondering around (have a phobia of large birds!). Thank you everyone who gave me words of advice last week. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now