Talk

Advanced search

Pain down below!!!!

(19 Posts)
sweetheart Mon 25-Jul-05 11:58:30

I have been having some quite severe pain down below.

The pain is restricted to the pubic bone and comes and go's. Sometimes I cannot notice it at all but other times (normally after a long period of sitting or walking) the bones becomes so painful that I can hardly walk.

The pain seems to be at it's worst when I stand on my right leg and can often create a feeling of a trapted nerve.

I'm currently 21 weeks and my baby is sitting very low down.

Does anyone have any experience of this or any advice???? I am seeing the midwife next week and will mention it but thought I might find some help here first!!!

TIA

Toothache Mon 25-Jul-05 12:01:46

SH - That sounds like SPD (Symphis Pubic Dysfunction). In pregnancy there is a hormone called relaxin that you body releases which is meant to loosed the ligaments in your pelvis ready for birth. Sometimes they loosen too much and grind together causing the pains you are describing. I suffered with it with my 2nd pregnancy from about 18wks.

You will probably be referred to a Physio who will fit you with a support belt (very attractive ;)). And you will be shown ways to sit/stand etc that will alleviate it. I was also prescribed Cocodamol which worked really well.

sweetheart Mon 25-Jul-05 12:03:33

My SIL had SPD with her last pregnancy. I don't think my pain is as bad as hers was. I only get it every now and again, probably a few times a week. She seemed to be in constant pain?!?!?!?!

Toothache Mon 25-Jul-05 12:09:12

SH - It varies in severity from stiffness to needing crutches! Mine wasn't that severe.... but still enough to make me walk like an old woman with athritis!

sweetheart Mon 25-Jul-05 12:10:52

yes I can sypathise with the old women walk - I feel like my gran some days - it's a struggle to get from the sofa to the kitchen!!!

Distel Mon 25-Jul-05 12:12:13

Sounds like the pains that I had. I was refered to a physio therapist which helped a bit. She did tell me to carry weights like shopping bags etc evenly and try not to lift anything too heavy. Hope you get comething sorted soon x x x.

sweetheart Mon 25-Jul-05 12:13:30

Thanks Distel - did they tell you what it was or just refer you to physio???

It's alright for them to say don't life anything isn't it - but usually easier said than done. Especially as I have a 5 year old dd!!!!

Distel Mon 25-Jul-05 12:16:50

My ds was 2.5 at the time as well!

I think it was SPD but couldn't be absolutely certain. The other think I just thought of is making sure that you get up slowely and carefully, rather than just jumpping up quickely. When you speak to your midwife, ask to see a physio - they should be very helpful.

Nemo1977 Mon 25-Jul-05 12:18:30

SH it dos sound like spd as thats how i have started this time and with ds i had to see physio who told me to wear support pants which looked like cycling shorts..lol Also showed me ways to get up from lying on bed etc. If it is hun then i would hold off your gym visit

sweetheart Mon 25-Jul-05 12:19:45

Did the physio help though??? I don't really like to make a fuss - most days it's fine.

Also, does anyone know if you get time off work for these sort of appointments or would I have to use my own time???

Nemo1977 Mon 25-Jul-05 12:21:24

SH u are entitled by law to time off work for any ante natal related appointments you have.

Physio helped a little as some of the tips were useful.

sweetheart Mon 25-Jul-05 12:22:46

The thing is Nemo - I feel absolutly fine today. Had some really bad pain last night after sitting for a long time and after a walk around the pain subsided.

I'm only going to do some walking and cycling at the gym - nothing strenuous!!!!!

Distel Mon 25-Jul-05 12:24:53

Yes, it did help - someof it was impossible, ie - lifting ds out of the bath and not lifting him, however, most of it did help especially the advice about getting out of bed.

Nemo1977 Mon 25-Jul-05 12:26:05

SH take it easy at the gym then and mention it to mw they may say wait until it is a little more uncomfortable.

Distel Mon 25-Jul-05 12:27:26

Still go, even if you are only in pain once or twice a week. You are not making a fuss over nothing. The appointment probebly wouldn't be for a few weeks or so anyway, and as the baby getts heavier, the pain may get worse or more frequent, then the advice you have been given will help even more.

sweetheart Mon 25-Jul-05 12:28:04

yes, knowing my mw's they probably will!!! They never seem overly eager to help.

Apparently our town is in the middle of a baby boom - I think they are a bit over stretched!!!

Moomin Tue 26-Jul-05 09:27:03

if it is SPD DON'T do walking or cycling - this will make you feel worse and will put strain onto an already inflamed and creaky area! Please see a physio or osteopath for help with gentle exercises that are specifically targetted at this condition. Really, the only 'cure' for it is rest, rest and more rest.

You may find your case is not too severe and that you can do some exercise (like certain swimming strokes) but I'm on my 2nd pg with spd now and it just gets worse as the baby gets bigger and I think you could do with some professional advice before you potentially do some damage or cause yourself any more pain than is necessary.

Hope it isn't spd and you continue to have a healthy pg, but best to be on the safe side!

Gobbledigook Tue 26-Jul-05 09:49:13

Sweetheart - much sympathy, I had the same thing with ds2 and it was agony. I'd be in tears walking a few yards to the postbox. Unfortunately it remained until I gave birth but the belt that the physio gave me really helped so see if you can get a referral.

Minky34 Mon 22-Aug-05 12:53:24

I have this same condition which started some 8 weeks ago now. Firstly misdiagnosed as a urinary infection but upon proper testing was pronounced as SPD.

At its worst I could stand or walk for no more that 10-20 minutes. Doing the weekly shop would render me useless for days.

I was however refered to a "back clinic" at my local hospital and of the 8 women there only three of us had SPD problems in varying degrees. Unfortunatly this clinic, run by the physiotherapy department was none too helpful. I was told in no uncertain terms that the only remedy was to remain as imobile as possible.

*"dont do anything that agravates it dear"*

so thats standing, walking, sitting and lying in bed then? sign me up for a floatation tank for the next 15 weeks maybe?

Fortunatly the very next day I managed to get a cancelation for a one to one session with an actual phisotherapist at another hospital.

This was a revelation. Firstly she actually examined me and with the help of some manipulation from her and some exersizes to be done at home, I am in a stable state now. Yes I have to be very careful about how I move but at least I can move without feeling like I am being ripped in two.

So my advise would be if you do get fobbed off with crutches and a corset and are told to sit still for three months like I was. Then make yourself a nuisance and get a one to one session. I am not saying it will work for everyone but I am now back at work and able to live a realtivly normal life. As opposed to sitting or lying in pain for months.

Also as a final note you have to make sure that your midwives understand the implications of this condition during labour. A close friend of mine has recently had to undergo 10 weeks of intensive physio after the birth of her daughter because she was positioned in stirrups during labour despite having explained about the SPD problems that she had.

So keep those legs together ladies!
Good luck everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now