Talk

Advanced search

Enlightenment re maternity underwear needed...

(22 Posts)
MrsFogi Sun 24-Jul-05 22:04:27

I'm 4 mths pg and have just invested in some maternity trousers (as I just can't fit into my normal trousers these days, not to mention dh complaining about me squashing "his" baby). Can someone enlighten me re when/what underwear I should get and when (+ where's the best place to get it) - bit lost re the whole maternity wear business as I feel like a bit of a fraud at the moment as I've only got a little bump at the moment.

lunavix Sun 24-Jul-05 22:05:11

I just wore thongs the whole time

Flossam Sun 24-Jul-05 22:05:30

You can get them from M and S and mothercare for two to start you off with! HTH.

spidermama Sun 24-Jul-05 22:08:02

Just wear normal knickers and put them under the bump. You'll probabl;y put some wieght on in the thigh area though if you';re anything like me. I bought cheap cotton mini pants from ASDA a size larger than my normal ones and they were fine.

Good idea to get proper fitted bra from m&s though.

Nbg Sun 24-Jul-05 22:08:23

Have a look on mothercares website but click on one of the boxes on mumsnet.

They have a sale atm and theres a few pieces of underwear on.

hunkermunker Sun 24-Jul-05 22:09:45

I did the same as Lunavix and am again, it would seem!

dinny Sun 24-Jul-05 22:11:14

normal pants under the bump. buy size up if you need to later.

MrsFogi Sun 24-Jul-05 22:23:56

So pleased I won't need to get big pants!

Azure Mon 25-Jul-05 12:05:30

I've worn my normal pants all the way through (35 weeks atm) but have changed bra sizes a few times, which meant the expense of new maternity bras.

SCRUFF1 Mon 25-Jul-05 13:02:20

I have pretty much stayed in 'normal' knickers and bras (except underwire bras are tricky now and uncomfortable if I wear them for too long) I am nearly 40 wks and bought a pack of maternity thongs and they are fab, very comfortable and although I occasionally slip into my big 'period pants' these thongs are my favourite. Mothercare stock them - go to the superstore if you have one close by they have some lovely underwear which I would chose normally and def not the passion killer that some mat underwear can be!! My other tip is secret support vests, I bought 3 from jo jo maman bebe (I think thats what its called ) and I wear them all the time having never been able to before. They are so comfy and supportive particularly as not having to wear a bra ! You can see I had this dilemma early in pregnancy, and swore I would never bother with mat underwear - but, comfort takes over when you get to my stage in pregnancy!!!

RedZuleika Mon 25-Jul-05 13:10:08

Personally, I can't stand knickers under the bump. Big fat maternity / granny knickers from Figleaves for me - and dead comfy they are too. Although I'm not sure how the cost of big maternity knickers can be justified..

I have reservations about thongs - because there is some suggestion that they increase the likelihood of cystitis at the best of times and I didn't want this in pregnancy, when you're more suseptible anyway.

Aren't you supposed to avoid underwiring when pregnant - because of the risk of damaging the milk ducts...? Currently very uncomfortable in my bras as the band is becoming too tight - but there's not that long to go, so I begrudge buying bigger ones.

morningpaper Mon 25-Jul-05 13:12:14

I'm 30 weeks - living in normal pants (and stealing DH's occasionally). Bought two non-wired bras and have today bought some nice big nursing bras so I can wear them afterwards as well.

dyzzidi Mon 25-Jul-05 13:16:23

I have had to buy maternity bras and I'm only 16 wks. Huge boob inflations for me! I don't need any new knickers at present as am not showing my bump yet but i do intend to buy big comfy pants.

I remarked to DP the other day that pregnant women do not need to wear thongs as the damage is already done .

morningpaper Mon 25-Jul-05 13:17:30

I'd definitely recommend going easy on the maternity bras and buying nursing bras instead - they are much the same (but with magic flap!) and you can wear them afterwards...

dyzzidi Mon 25-Jul-05 13:18:45

I bought my maternity bras from M &S in the sale for £2.50 each! I don't suppose they get too much call for F Cups so I bought all five of them!

SCRUFF1 Mon 25-Jul-05 13:24:34

I agree on the maternity nursing bra thing, I bought two maternity bras to wear for work through desperation, but have now found I am having to buy more nursing bras which aren't cheap and youre right the only difference is the flap of clip to let them down, Ive also bought two secret support nursing vests to wear in hosp and when feeding at night. Re: thongs, strangely I find them more comfy than pants that ride up the 'nethers'! I shouldn't admit to this and think you'll all disagree but I do occasionally like to 'go free' and ditch undies all together??????!!!!!

dyzzidi Mon 25-Jul-05 13:27:30

I would rather go 'commando' than wear a thong! My Dp keeps buying me lacy shorty pants which I love I think he has given up on me wearing thongs.!

SCRUFF1 Mon 25-Jul-05 13:36:59

Now youre talking! I am all for lacy shorty pants! Particularly when trying to make your buttocks and thighs as attractive as poss. Thongs def do not, in my case do me any favours other than comfort under my trousers, shorties however I can cope with and can't wait to get back into my slinky little sets that I once wore nearly 9 months ago and I'd say neither can DH !

sweetkitty Mon 25-Jul-05 13:38:25

Last time I had maternity bras and thongs (you can get matching maternity thongs from M+S) I wear thongs if I'm going out or until about 7ish when I change into big comfy cotton knickers, I bought some from Asda last time size bigger for afterwards (great tip from mumsnet) I'm still wearing the ones I didn't bin!

I echo the maternity bra thing I had about 4 last time waste of money, this time I'm being v naughty and wearing underwire bras when out and nothing when indoors, will invest in some nursing ones when I start to leak. Have thought about it and 4 or 5 hours a day in a decent underwire bra is worth the rish IMO.

SCRUFF1 Mon 25-Jul-05 13:40:13

I agree!

Kiwifruit Mon 25-Jul-05 14:09:40

I'm still wearing my pre-preg knickers, under my bump. Grudgingly bought some maternity bras (non-wired), which are the most unattractive things I've ever seen (and weirdly the nursing bras can be quite nice - perhaps they think you've done the damage once you're pregnant, and when you're feeding you might want to do the damage again? Maternity bras are one of the best forms of contraception I've come across, but obviously by the time you're wearing them it's far too late!!). I bought an underwired maternity bra from Blooming Marvellous yesterday, as needed one without dirty great seams across it to wear under a top to a wedding (DH was most distressed though, as bought it in that boring nude colour - he was having visions of black lace!! ).

suzi2 Mon 25-Jul-05 17:50:19

I bought some maternity ones from mothercare (underbump) which were fine at the start but once I got to 6/7 months they cut into my bump a bit.

Since then, I have been wearing normal minis in a few sizes too big and also some GIANT over bump maternity ones (very comfy!).

Whatever you do, watch ones that sit on the bump and then roll down, forming a sort of tournique (sp?) and cutting off the circulation to your legs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now