Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Declining Blood Tests

(11 Posts)
RosiePosie Wed 20-Jul-05 20:17:07

I'm pregnant with my third and considering declining the initial booking-in blood tests. I have always gone along with all the tests in my previous two pregnancies and these initial tests can't, as far as I can see, tell them much more than they already know. Am I right in thinking the tests are for various diseases - HIV, Hepatitis and syphilis, to check whether my blood is rhesus negative or positive and to check whether I am anaemic or not. Is that right, have I missed anything? My personal situation hasn't changed sinced my last tests, so I am not at risk, the rhesus state of my blood can't change since last time can it? And I have never been anaemic in pregnancy before. Sorry, this is waffly - I just wanted to check that I had it all covered and to ask if anyone else has declined the tests and what reaction they had from the midwife? Thanks. . .

jessicaandbumpsmummy Wed 20-Jul-05 20:31:53

i never declined the initial tests, but the ones they do later on i did with jess.... my mw wont let me get away with ti this time though, had severe anemia earlier in the year and she wants to check it out.... rll on 5/8 when bloods are taken and out the way!

hunkermunker Wed 20-Jul-05 20:34:44

I personally wouldn't decline tests that might show I was anaemic. I did decline the blood test for HIV when pg with DS as I knew I didn't have it.

I am strongly considering declining the screening tests for the baby this time round though.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Wed 20-Jul-05 20:35:54

i also declined the HIV tests in both pregnancies, as well as the downs testing.... i hate tests full stop.

hate scans with a passion too really....

chicagomum Wed 20-Jul-05 21:15:33

didn't decline the initial tests in both pregnancies as occupationally my risk of contracting certain infections is higher, and i suffered from anaemia regularly in my teens/20's but if i have a third am in 2 minds about other tests sucj as down's etc because of misleading/worrying results in both previous pregnancies

bettythebuilder Wed 20-Jul-05 22:24:51

I have a phobia of hypodermic needles, so I asked very specifically about the blood tests required, and the info I received suggested that the first set of blood tests were testing for blood type(which will now be on your record) blood count(hemaoglobin), which can vary, and rubella, which when I asked about it they said that although I had been immunised,even if the results said that I was not covered, there was nothing they could because I was pregnant!

bettythebuilder Wed 20-Jul-05 22:30:02

oops-should have read "could DO"!!
But my point is -ask what they are taking those blood tests for- and for 2nd + pregnancies, I'm not sure all these blood tests are needed.

hunkermunker Wed 20-Jul-05 22:33:14

They always struggle to get blood from me so I will make sure that none of the tests are repeat ones where the results can't have changed (eg no point testing for rubella immunity when I already am immune, is there? And my blood group will still be O+).

RosiePosie Thu 21-Jul-05 07:08:23

Thanks everyone. They always struggle to get blood from me too, and I find the process painful and upsetting. I think I am going to decline, but will talk it through with the midwife first - I just wanted to make sure I'm making an informed decision, and it looks like the tests would be, on the whole, a bit pointless this time around.

rodeo1 Thu 21-Jul-05 19:14:18

I did have my initial bloods taken, just in case I was anaemic, and also it's good to know I haven't caught any infectious diseases (not that I'm at risk at all but sometimes people are unaware aren't they)

But I did decline the AFP tests for Downs and Spina Bifida and MW was supportive (she doesn't agree with that test anyway, says it usually causes more worry than good)

Busyalexsmummy Mon 25-Jul-05 21:29:23

rosieposie- i always had the same view on this as you, until i learnt that the reason they do the bloods again is for a few reasons, partly because i think its serum?? that changes and can indicate different things, also your booking in bloods are kept for(i think)the duration of your pregnancy-i found this helpful as the other week i cam into contact with someone who had shingles, i dont know if ive had chickenpox and family didnt know, so rang m/w who then rang the hossie and they tested my blood from my booking in visit and told me a week later that all was clear and that i am immune-so they do come in helpful sometimes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now