Talk

Advanced search

anyone recommend a good baby book?

(12 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Wed 20-Jul-05 15:01:17

Have been fairly confident in knowing my own body and consequently knowing what to do for the best during my pregnancy, but am beginning to feel all at sea at the prospect of a new baby. My mum and only sister live 100+ miles away and would like a good book that will give me all the basics, good common sense advice, without being preachy. (couldn't stand Miriam Stoppard school of preggers books and only bought Mumsnet book and Rough Guide). Any ideas?

nailpolish Wed 20-Jul-05 15:02:21

the question and answer book of pregnancy is good, have given it away now or you could have had it, sorry. i bought it in wh smith

dandycandyjellybean Wed 20-Jul-05 15:07:33

thanks nailpolish. Am thinking more of what to do with little alien being once he's born type book, rather than pregnancy though! i.e. keep hearing conflicting info about not letting them overheat, or what you can / can't have for bedclothes in cot etc. It's all that stuff you're just supposed to know by a process of osmosis as soon as you become a Mummy.

Paddysmum Wed 20-Jul-05 15:15:11

Hi cubby. Apparently there is a book that comes highly recommended;-
What To Expect In The First Year
I know you said you wanted a book but have you tried the baby/parenting magazines? IMO they have some really informative articles on the subjects that you mentioned.

nailpolish Wed 20-Jul-05 15:20:48

sorry cubby,should have said, its got stuff for the first year too

although there are maybe better ones for that!

lots of luck

aviatrix Wed 20-Jul-05 15:38:48

Message withdrawn

OldieMum Wed 20-Jul-05 16:17:05

I found 'What to Expect in the First Year' (as recommended by paddysmum) good on nuts and bolts issues, as is the second volume, on toddlers. Penelope Leach's 'Your Baby and Child' is excellent on the emotional/psychological side of things. I thought that there was a lot of wisdom in it and am grateful to her for the insights she gave me. Leach is more laissez faire about feeding and routines than was suitable for me (DD lost a lot of weight after birth, due to jaundice, so I was anxious about getting her to put weight on). I used the Gina Ford book only to give me a rough idea about what to do and when concerning feeding and weaning. Otherwise, I found it far too rigid and prescriptive and not enough focussed on the emotional needs of the baby. There are many pro- and anti- GF mumsnetters, as you may know. Good luck!

dandycandyjellybean Wed 20-Jul-05 20:47:29

Thanks everyone, will investigate all your suggestions. Kind of feel like I don't want anything too rigid, as I'm hoping some of it will come naturally (or is that being really niave?), but would like to have something sensible to refer to, as someone said, for the 'nuts and bolts' stuff.

KBear Wed 20-Jul-05 20:56:26

I've got this

Penelope Leach's 'Your Baby and Child'

if you want it for P&P

dandycandyjellybean Sun 24-Jul-05 16:55:41

Thanks for the offer Kbear, sorry I didn't get chance to reply before now, have had a death in the family and have been a bit up to my eyes.

KBear Sun 24-Jul-05 17:13:07

sorry to hear that cubby.

It's here it you want it. CAT me if you do and I'll find out how much the postage is.

Nbg Sun 24-Jul-05 17:39:13

I didn't get any books about newborns but I did get an NHS one given to me from my HV when dd was days old. It's called birth to 5 years. It's got some useful info in it.

I don't know if they still give these out but you could ask your midwife for one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now