Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bleeding at 5 weeks, help

(18 Posts)
marne Sun 17-Jul-05 07:04:21

Just got up to go to the loo, and found a redish brown discharge, have i lost the baby?

KiwiKate Sun 17-Jul-05 07:22:49

Bleeding at any time is alarming and you should get it checked out.

But usually brownish discharge is not a problem. Many women have this and it does not mean you have lost the baby.

Lots of bright red blood with cramps is the most worrying. Health care professionals sometimes ask you to keep any pads you might use to soak up the blood, so they can take a look. They will also want to know about volume (teaspoon full, egg cup full, cup full etc).

I had a bright red bleeding at 13 weeks (no cramps, not too much volume) - I am now at 32 weeks and had no other problems.

Good luck

bossykate Sun 17-Jul-05 07:39:52

no, not necessarily. but you should go to an early pregnancy unit (epu) and get checked out. everything may well be fine, but they will want to eliminate the possibility of an ectopic pg.

good luck. fingers crossed.

pinkmama Sun 17-Jul-05 07:56:52

I had bleeding with my first two pregnancies and have a healthy 7 and 3 year old to show for it. I know its very scarey, the EPU in the area I lived at the time wouldnt do anything until 7 weeks so it was a hard wait, but I think other areas may do something earlier. It is worth getting it checked. I have my fingers crossed for you. Try to stay calm.

hester Sun 17-Jul-05 09:38:16

You may have, marne, but you may well have not. I think I read the other day that up to a third of women bleed in the first trimester, and most of them don't miscarry. I bled at five weeks with my first pregnancy, and miscarried. I bled for six weeks during this pregnancy, and am now 26 weeks along.

As others have said, you should try to get to an EPU. They won't be able to detect a fetal heartrate till about six weeks, but blood tests will be able to indicate whether your HCG levels are falling.

So sorry you are going through this. it is horrendous and the not knowing is the worst. Big hugs and I hope all turns out well for you xx

oops Sun 17-Jul-05 09:46:08

Message withdrawn

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 09:57:31

Marne, you won't know what's happening until you go and have a scan. I'm sure they'll see you pretty quickly.

It may well be nothing but it wouldn't hurt to be prepared.

All the best.

marne Sun 17-Jul-05 10:27:29

just got back from the hospital, the wont scan me until im 6 weeks, they said they wouldnt be able to see anything. they made me take another pg test and that was ok, they seem to think evrything is ok but i wont know for sure till a week monday.

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 10:28:07

Good luck marne.

munz Sun 17-Jul-05 10:28:37

fingers crossed marne, can u take some time off work to put ur feet up for the week?

marne Sun 17-Jul-05 10:33:55

Realy busy at work so dont know if i can get time off, next sataday i have to work a 10 hour shift ( will try and get out of it if i can). I still feel pg, felt sick as normal so thats a good sign.

charleepeters Sun 17-Jul-05 10:35:04

I had this with DS and was told to keep legs elevated and rest as much as poss - good luck xxx

marne Sun 17-Jul-05 10:37:57

Dh wants to take the kids to a car boot sale later, do you think its ok to go or should go or stay at home and rest, i cant sit still for five min and i realy want to go out.

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 10:38:22

It may well all be fine Marne, but I think if 'it's' going to happen, then it's going to happen iyswim.

Perhaps it's good to have work and other things to do to keep your mind occupied until you can have your scan.

Good luck.

marne Sun 17-Jul-05 10:41:23

thankyou spidermama, thats what i told dh, i want to keep busy, the scan seems so far away.

HappyMumof2 Sun 17-Jul-05 10:47:02

Message withdrawn

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 10:55:11

However, I rested in bed and both my mc's came just the same. I think it's down to how you feel. In the old days people always used to advise full bed rest, but the advise I received was more like, 'what will be will be.'

If you feel tired and overwhelmed - rest. If not, don't.

marne Thu 21-Jul-05 19:43:26

Had another bleed yestaday, had a scan this morning but couldnt see much as i am under 6 weeks, all they could see is the sack. having aching pains in my stomach, seems worse when stood up, has anybody else experienced this?
I cant have another scan for 2 weeks, realy woried that somthing is wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now