Talk

Advanced search

Severe anxiety in pregnancy - some questions

(13 Posts)
firemansam Sat 27-Feb-10 08:22:23

I'm 26 weeks and literally beside myself. I have a history of anxiety, but not really this bad, it seems the pregnancy has made it much worse. Has anyone experienced this?

I'm on ADs but it would appear that they might not be working against all these hormones - I'm on 20 mg citalopram. Has anyone else had to up their dose in pregnancy?

I have a psych appointment coming up, and am seeing therapists and midwives, but still stark raving mad, can't sleep, can't eat.

Has anyone has anxiety in their pregnancy and had a healthy happy child? I'm terrified what this is doing to my baby.

poshtottie Sat 27-Feb-10 09:25:32

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way. I had terrible anxiety when pregnant. I found pregnancy yoga very useful as it provided coping strategies such as breathing techniques.

I have recently been having hypnotherapy which has been wonderful.

By the way I have a very happy and healthy ds.

Look after yourself. smile

nomorewine Sat 27-Feb-10 10:56:06

Sorry to hear you are suffering.

I had terrible anxiety during my second pregnancy. I had ante natal depression throughout - was in a terrible way. I gave birth to a healthy baby boy who is now nearly 7 years old.smile

xkatyx Sat 27-Feb-10 12:03:34

I had terrible anxiety trough out my 2nd pregnancy, never really thought it could be treated so plodded on!!!

I am not in AD's same as you 20mg and we are planning on TTC soon for DC3 i have been n loads of posts (and i mean loads) asking about AD'S and pregnancy exspecially citroplam (spelling?) and nearly all the owman thta have replied have said the same there had there medication upped, it's all the extra hormones, sometimes they said it helps to know about the hormones etc see what they do basically explain why it's happening helps?

what kiNd of anxiety are you exsperiencing> panic attacks? extra worrying??

It's so hard being pregnany with genrall worrying about baby etc i think alot of mum's exsperience this

x

firemansam Sat 27-Feb-10 19:11:34

Thank you for your kind posts. I am having panic attacks mostly, coupled with high anxiety when not panicking. I feel the big tummy doesn't help - can't really breathe properly and I just feel like I have extra adrenalin in my body all the time. I'm sure it's the hormones making me extra mad - would love to know why or how! I'm having a girl, and already feeling terribly worried about her inheriting all this crap and being mental from birth!

It's interesting to hear that most people said they had to have their medication upped - I feel like my pills just aren't working so maybe I will have to. Hate to, but might have no choice really.

I am hating this pregnancy, but have never come across anyone who has admitted that - everyone else seems so infuriatingly joyful and blooming and excited. Makes me feel like a freak.

katnkittens Sat 27-Feb-10 20:03:43

I totally feel for you, I'm in the same boat. I'm 29 weeks with my 4th and get it in every pregnancy although I suffer from in anyway.

This time is the first time I have been on meds but they haven't increased them. I am better for being on them and slightly less loopy but now 100% at all.

It is so evil, anxiety and panic attacks are what I suffer from too and sometimes don't want to go out. I just reassure myself with the knowledge that I'll feel better once baby is born and it'll be worth it.

I worry about mine inheriting my anxiety too, I have a son aged 13 and 2 dds 11 and 6. They are fine.

xxx

xkatyx Sat 27-Feb-10 20:10:48

You are def nit a freak .. i think some times mum to be dont say how they are really feeling, i on the other hand will tell everyone lol.

We want to TTC DC3 but im a tad scared about feeling that out of control feeling and panic attacks, i hate them sooo much they can really take over. to be honest im scared ill end up like that claire off corrie :-(

firemansam Sat 27-Feb-10 20:51:50

It is completely hideous - I feel for all of you too. At least when the babies are out we can drink gin for breakfast! As soon as this one is out I'm gaffa-taping up all my nether regions, and putting up a tent in the pharmacists.

Interestingly, my therapist (who is brilliant) actually says that anxiety isn't a 'thing' you can inherit - as everyone in the world has anxiety to a degree, just like anger, sadness etc. It's just our interpretation of it that sends it out of control, it's just something we've learnt to do, rather than a physical condition, so it's not actually something to be passed on, any more than any other emotion - it's not genetic or anything. For some reason, or no reason, we interpret it in a way that others might not.

And worrying you'll end up like wotsit in Corrie is just another fear, and not a fact. Thoughts are not facts.

Easier said than believed when in the throes of pregnancy hysteria I know. xxx

xkatyx Sat 27-Feb-10 20:58:25

Lol i'm not preggars just yet, so i have set my tent up and wating for you to join me :-)

yes you are right it is a fear .. and the more i lookj into it the more i scare the hell out of myself lol cant win!!

That is rea;ly interesting to know about not inheriting the "mad jeans" i worry my kids will have to go through this. your therapist sounds brilliant.

x

FirstTimeMom2 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:47:29

Dear firemansam, dear all,
Im going through a similar thing right now - panic attacks, severe anxiety and slepless nights. Im 28 weeks. Im so worried about this affecting the baby. Studies show that babies of anxious mothers are more fussy and later have developmental and emotional problems:-( Did your babies turn out fine?

Lisasanford Sun 19-Nov-17 20:39:06

I have just found out I am 6 weeks pregnant with a much wanted first baby. I suffer with very severe anxiety have done for over 15 years and the panic has gone into overdrive, will I be a good mum? How will I cope etc etc it's awful and it's ruining the experience I just hope it gets better. I recently stopped taking meds and have been feeling fine but might have to go back if this carries on. It's so scary and debilitating also can't stop crying am I going mad?!

Imaginosity Sun 19-Nov-17 22:40:30

I had very bad anxiety on one of my pregnancies. My DS is now 5 and the least anxious person you could meet - nothing like me at all! I made myself even more anxious by worrying that I was messing him up. He's very well-adjusted, confident and happy.

Lisasanford Mon 20-Nov-17 08:56:53

Thank you that is good to know I'm just feeling so overwhelmed I don't cope very well with change and have a fear of the unknown so this is torture for me! Hoping it'll settle down soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now