Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding with implants

(12 Posts)
Lucy1980 Tue 12-Jul-05 12:38:58

I have changed my name for the sake of this topic and hope that people dont mind that I have placed it here.

I am 35 weeks and had implants a few yers ago, I have read that you can still breast feed but havent asked the midwife/GP etc. The thing is that my breasts havent changed at all in pregnancy, they havent grown, havent been tender and havent leaked. So I am wondering if I have produced or will produce any milk at all.

No one apart from my Parter knows that I have had the implants so it will be difficult explaining to people why I am not breastfeeding-if I cant!

Does anyone know anything about breast feeding with implants? Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

aloha Tue 12-Jul-05 12:46:26

I don't know about your case of course, but I do know that your breasts in pregnancy are not a guide to how much milk you will produce. Also many womany do feed with implants.
The key thing is to start breastfeeding as soon as possible after your baby is born and enlist lots of support.
And if you can't, then you can't. You don't have to tell anyone why you aren't breastfeeding, but I think "I couldn't. Sadly, I'm one of those rare cases where there really wasn't enough milk' for my baby should shut up even the nosiest of parkers.

Redhelen Tue 12-Jul-05 12:55:02

I don't know much about breast implants.

But I do know many women who can not breast feed. Hopefully you will be able to, if not tell people you can't - no one will question it.

Have you put your operation on you maternity notes?- it could be relevant if you need a c-section. I declared my nose job on mine - didn't want to but the hospital may need to know how many operations /anastetics you have had.

koalabear Tue 12-Jul-05 13:15:21

my girlfriend successfully breastfed with implants - not problemo

another girlfriend could not breastfeed and she had enormous boobs with no implants

moral of the story - get as much help as you can (midwives, HVs, counsellors, etc) and don't worry about the implants - breastfeeding is a skill and takes a while to get the hang of - if you want to b/f hang in there, and if you don't or can't, it's nobodies business but yours and you don't need to give reasons or excuses for it

NomDePlume Tue 12-Jul-05 13:18:24

I think Pamela Anderson, the most famous implant owner in the world, breast fed both her sons so it is possible

Lucy1980 Tue 12-Jul-05 13:22:42

Yeah the operation is on my notes.

Thanks so much for the kind comments and advice. I have started to wind myself up about it all recently and already feel like a failure, as I have convinced myself that it just wont work!

I will try it and see how it goes.

Thanks again x

NomDePlume Tue 12-Jul-05 13:25:55

Stress will be a much more effective breast-feeding & milk inhibitor than implants will ever be . Try not to heap so much pressure on yourself and go with the flow.

koalabear Tue 12-Jul-05 13:50:57

ha ha ha "go with the flow"

(good advice by the way)

Busyalexsmummy Tue 12-Jul-05 15:44:04

I was told that you can usually b/f with implants, as long as the nipples werent removed then stitched back when the operation was done. there could be damage to your milk ducks but it is probably one of those things where you will just have to wait and see, gd luck x

aloha Tue 12-Jul-05 15:49:30

Paula Yates definitely breastfed Tiger after having implants. Saw pictures of it.

RavishingBrunette Thu 28-Jul-05 08:57:05

RavishingBrunette Thu 28-Jul-05 09:02:12

a little late I know....

Yes you should be able to breastfeed fine - I have implants from 1997 & I don't think anyone at the hospital knew. I seem to recall I couple of surprised looks at my pert boobs though

Also you may find your nipples are in exactly the right place, i.e. facing outward so your baby can latch on better.

My boobs didn't really grow much in pregnancy, although they became MASSIVE the day the milk came in which I think was 5 days later. They soon calmed down & I'm pleased to say after 2 yrs of breastfeeding they are looking more natural. I was, pre-op, barely a 34AA & am a 34C. Still with nipples facing outwards !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now