Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Plus size maternity clothes - not online! Any recommendations?

(13 Posts)
ChairmumMiaow Tue 09-Feb-10 13:47:10

I'm currently about a size 20, and am really struggling with maternity clothes. I'm 5 months in and what clothes I had from DS are generally too big as I dropped a dress size between pregnancies. I have one pair of jeans that are comfy but unlike most people i keep my waist while pregnant (It is very bizarre) and my shape means I can't wear under-bump stuff. Its just not comfortable.

I don't seem to like the over-bump jeans - they're the wrong shape as I don't have a proper bump (and didn't have one at all with DS) so it really feels like I am screwed! My skirts are now too small round the waist so I am down to one pair of jeans and a track suit that I won't wear outside the house (well maybe nursery dropoffs but that's about it!)

Mothercare has pretty much failed me, and I can't find anything I like in next. Am I stuck or are there other shops that I might be able to get something in. I really need to be able to try them!

TIA!

rubyslippers Tue 09-Feb-10 14:06:39

New Look
H & M
George at Asda
Dorothy Perkins

Try Ebay ...

have you tried Evans? Buy a size up from usual to give some room for the bump to grow

ChairmumMiaow Tue 09-Feb-10 14:35:49

Thanks for the suggestions -

- H&M too small
- dorothy perkins trousers mostly under-bump
- our local ASDA isn't big enough to do maternity clothes but I did get a nice top in another one a while ago!

I think it might be evans but I was trying to avoid that

ninemonthsandcounting Thu 24-Nov-11 23:53:03

mojo maternity online xxx

GlaikitFizzog Thu 24-Nov-11 23:56:03

Matalan, i got a couple pairs of trousers this time last year. Red Herring at Debenhams do 20's too. Some lovely tops just now!

Although towards the end I lived in leggings and tunic style tops or pjs!!

ncjust4this Thu 24-Nov-11 23:59:34

Dorothy perkins trousers did me for almost anything. But for dresses and tops i just went for non mat stuff 1 size up. M and s are good for empire line things.

Just dont make the mistake I did and buy a non mat dress that looked fantastic with bump, try to wear it post bump and wonder why it makes you look still pregnant

gemstarmum Wed 24-Oct-12 23:01:59

after much deliberatling I ordered some jeans from tall maternity store for my friend Jo tonight who has 36 inch pins! The OWNER even rang me to check the sizing and tell me the order woule be sent out tomorrow morning, how canny is that! I wouldnt expect that from the huge retailers! Will post some feedback when they arrive (jo's feedback) x

Secondsop Thu 25-Oct-12 01:43:38

I'm about the same size as you. The way I'm getting through it might not be brilliantly helpful to you but might give you some ideas. I do a lot of sewing and there's a particular dress pattern I made over and over again pre pregnancy that I'd wear belted, and because it's with stretch fabric and has a couple of pleats at the front, it has worked perfectly all the way through this pregnancy (either unbelted, or with a fabric belt fastened under my bust). I also find underbump things very uncomfortable and I don't like things that cling to the lower part of my bump so the dresses have been perfect. If you or anyone else you know sews, or if there's a reasonably-priced tailor near you, then this might be a way through.

Wheels79 Thu 25-Oct-12 02:52:25

At the moment (25 wks) I'm coping with wrap dresses from M&S (from pre-pregnancy) and leggings a size up from Evans which comedically almost reach my bra. Quite warm though- just as well it's winter soon.

cupcake78 Thu 25-Oct-12 06:25:31

I'm a size 18-20. Last pregnancy I was a 22. Last time I gave up on jeans in lived in black maternity trousers from mothercare, size 20, they were massive, also found alot of plain tops fine from Dorothy Perkins etc.

This time I'm going to go for leggings, stretchy knitted dresses and long sleeve tops if needed. This should get me through till 32+wks after which I may pull out my old stuff.

On line really would be your best bet, is their a reason you asked specifically for shops.

cupcake78 Thu 25-Oct-12 06:28:32

Simply be do a maternity range. Just order a load of stuff to try on and send back what you don't want.

Secondsop Thu 25-Oct-12 08:35:43

Some places (eg new look) also let you take returns of online items back to the store, which can make things easier. And La Redoute have a system where you can take returns to designated local post offices or shops (which is a good thing as their sizing is all over the place).

TantrumsandBananas Thu 25-Oct-12 09:09:51

What about Next maternity - not usually a fan, but I got some stuff from them last time....still wear the pajamas now (3 years later) I never buy clothes from them, but for maternity thought they were good!

Also, there is another one can't for the life of me remember the name! But if you google "maternity size 18-20" loads will come up. Thats how I got my bits and bobs.

Oh reminising now! Hope all goes well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now