Talk

Advanced search

BRAXTON HICKS

(19 Posts)
jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 19:31:53

Never had them with Jess.... but ive had 5/6 in the last hour.... or what i think are BH's anyway!

Im 25weeks and my bump goes all tight and it hurts......

Someone put my mind at rest please!

Lonelymum Sun 10-Jul-05 19:33:29

It sounds like Braxton Hicks. Try sitting quietly somewhere (at your computer?!) and see if they ease off.

Lonelymum Sun 10-Jul-05 19:33:54

Oh meant to say, I never had BH's with first baby but did with the other three.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 19:59:39

all gone quiet in there.... first experience of BH then i think!!! (Fingers crossed anyway, dont want this little one popping out just yet!)

Redhelen Sun 10-Jul-05 20:28:59

I've not had a BH - feel I'm missing out! In last pregnancy or this?

What are they like?

charleepeters Sun 10-Jul-05 20:30:02

Best ting to do is have a warm bath it will help! i got loads of BH with DS and many times thought argh im in labour but wasnt!

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 20:30:12

SORE!

Im assuming its what it was - bump went really tight, pain in lower tummy - stayed like that for about 15/20 secs and then stopped. Had about 5/6 in an hour, but nothing since.

Be thankful, i was scared stiff and ready to go to hospital!!!

Lonelymum Sun 10-Jul-05 20:30:56

For me, they were mainly just a tightening in the belly and your bump goes rock hard. I wouldn't say they hurt at all, except in pre labour when I couldn't be sure what was a BH and waht was real.

Glad to hear they have stopped Jessicaandbumpsmummy. Were you rushing around a bit before they came on?

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 20:32:02

a little bit yeah - had tea and was sorting little one out.... probably over-did it a bit!

Lonelymum Sun 10-Jul-05 20:33:41

Nice excuse to sit down whenever they occur! (if you can at all - I know it isn't always as simple as that).

kbaby Sun 10-Jul-05 21:12:10

I used to get them if I laid on the settee on my back, if I changed poistion they went. Maybe try moving about a bit.

hunkermunker Sun 10-Jul-05 21:14:31

Ooh, had forgotten about these!

Got them all the time from about 20 weeks with DS. Bump went tight and felt peculiar, but didn't hurt, just a feeling I'd never felt before (or since) - which isn't strange, really!

Very good excuse for a well-deserved rest, JABM!

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 21:16:44

i like rest!!!! Sat here at the puter since the last one and not fet a thing - other than kicks! Fingers crossed the pain bit was just my initial reaction and having over-done it slightly!

Redhelen Sun 10-Jul-05 21:38:57

Take it easy, and relax.

(I know easy said than done!)

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 21:39:55

had another couple while sitting here.... not sore though!

SCRUFF1 Mon 11-Jul-05 14:03:21

I have been advised that if the 'tightenings' are consistent with quite severe pain that doesn't ease on rest then it's best to seek advice. I get them the most when I have been excercising or excerting myself. The pain I get is like a dull ache in my lower abdo a bit like when my period is due, but it does ease off after a couple of seconds/minutes. Hope this is of some help, but if in doubt I have found triage midwives at my local hospital fantastic for putting your mind at rest!

Iklboo Mon 11-Jul-05 14:05:10

I've been having this the last week or so and wondered what it was. Bump goes tight like junior is pushing up right at the front and it feels all odd. Not painful, but enough to make you go 'ooh' kind of thing.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Mon 11-Jul-05 14:14:36

nothing happened since yesterday, so hoping it was a one off!

honestly felt like proper contractions i had when in labour with jess, but apparently BH's can hurt more second time around?!

SCRUFF1 Mon 11-Jul-05 14:20:12

As I was typing I had one and my bump was so tight,rock hard and distorted you could almost see the shape of the baby - very weird! I also have a fibroid on the outside of my uterus that sticks out during a BH making me even more lumpy -very attractive I don't think!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now