Talk

Advanced search

What new stuff do I need to buy for DD2? Teats, mattress ... ?

(34 Posts)
franch Sun 10-Jul-05 16:06:02

DD1 will be 19m when DD2 arrives. I guess I should buy new teats. What about bottles? DD1's are quite well-used.

We're borrowing a moses basket so I suppose I should buy a new mattress for that? Do I also need to buy a new cot mattress when DD2 moves into DD1's cot? What's the current advice on this?

Also on our list: extra chest of drawers etc to keep all DD2's stuff in; little nappies (aww) ... um, anything else??

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 16:08:01

Jess will be 15 months when baby 2 arrives, so we are gonig through the same thing!

Double buggy or sling or both
Deffo gonna get a playpen - to keep the baby safe!
erm...... not suer what else!

edam Sun 10-Jul-05 16:09:23

have you still got your first-stage car seat? that's the only other thing that you should buy brand new - never second-hand as could have been in a crash.

Miaou Sun 10-Jul-05 16:09:55

If dd2 is not being born at the same time of year, you may find that a lot of dd1's clothes are the "wrong season".

It may sound obvious, but it caught me out!!

I would second the double buggy. You will also need another car seat

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 16:11:43

Edam... your post re car seat, its ok to use jess's first stage one isnt it?! Confused now!

LIZS Sun 10-Jul-05 16:16:29

I didn't buy new teats for dd or cups/bottles just used the left over ones which were still in good condition, but then both were mainly breastfed until at least 6 months so not heavily used. Reused infant car seat, cot but with new mattressas old one was wrecked, bedlinen, moses basket, pram etc. ds was older when dd arrived but did find a bouncy chair, changing table and Baby Bjorn carrier particularly useful which hadn't had for him.

Miaou Sun 10-Jul-05 16:19:23

JM&B - I would say that if you have never had a crash or dropped Jessica's car seat, then it would be fine to use for the next one. But buy a brand new one for Jessica, not a secondhand one (on the basis that you don't know what's happened to it previously)

Lonelymum Sun 10-Jul-05 16:20:04

I used the same cot mattress for ds1, ds2, and dd .

I got a new one for my last child ds3, but I am hoping it will keep for the grandchildren!

That said, every baby had new bottles and teats, even though they were all breast fed and didn't use their bottles much.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 16:21:07

never been in a crash and never dropped it. Jess already has a brand new 2nd stage.... will have to buy new 2nd stage one when this one is old enough tho!

MarsLady Sun 10-Jul-05 16:21:33

Hi Franch. Seasonal clothes, very important. Will see what's here in the Mars Household and put some aside for you.

Can't think of what else you might need. To be honest you probably don't need nearly as much as you think. It just seems as though you do!

Kisses to R

Raggydoll Sun 10-Jul-05 16:55:49

I have ds1 20mths and bump 30wks I am buying:

Bouncy Chair
Double Buggy
New steraliser with bottles included
Babygros, vests, cardis, hat, scratch mits, bibs.
Baby sleeping bag
Nappies/infacol/formula

I am reusing my car seat, sling, crib and cot, play mat, sheets, blankets, toys.

I gave alot away after ds1 so do need new clothes etc.

Also, I'm having major probs choosing a double buggy. I've been on numerous shopping trips and am never satisfied, they either seem to heavy (and expensive) or nice and light but not cosy/flat enough for a new born - has anyone ever found a good compromise??? Only I walked loads with ds1 and can't imagine not going for lots of long walks with both of them and ds1 still sleeps in his stroller when I take him out.

Redhelen Sun 10-Jul-05 17:11:30

Other than teats and new bottles , and electric breast pump (as didn't like the manaual) the only other thing I needed was a changing mat - as mine was ripped.

However needless to say I have bought more things I didn't need to! I hope your more disciplined than me!

HappyMumof2 Sun 10-Jul-05 17:15:46

Message withdrawn

aloha Sun 10-Jul-05 17:30:02

Matttresses fine - reuse them. This is 'official' advice on the SIDS website.

Nemo1977 Sun 10-Jul-05 17:36:51

phew about matress i didnt even consider having to buy a new one..lol

I have thrown teats to ds bottles away so will buy new but reuse bottles. Willbe getting double pushchair [marco sky thanks ML]
This baby will be same season as ds so dont really need clothes although if i find out baby is a girl will be a different story..lol
Andwe have two carseats and one is britax first stage to age 4 one so will jus tuse that.

Its a bit sad when u dont have a big age gap as u do tend to still have the majority of things.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 17:39:57

nemo - you going for the MS buggy too.... im a bit concerned now as lockets think its quite heavy.... contemplating the MS or the Cossato Duo

hunkermunker Sun 10-Jul-05 17:40:54

JABM, think I may go for the Duo too - can't use the MS from birth.

Nemo1977 Sun 10-Jul-05 17:41:15

JM is thatthe duet lite one or another one?

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 17:42:30

either! I like them both!!! Just really not sure what to do..... certainly wont be an E3

hunkermunker Sun 10-Jul-05 17:43:58

Am toying with an E3, JABM - if I inherit a large amount of money from a titled relative... Don't you like it?

Nemo1977 Sun 10-Jul-05 17:44:24

i dont like E3 saw one while we were away but now uve said it may be heavy im confuddled..lol
However i do think no matter which i go for there are pros n cons

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 17:46:27

E3's are HORRIBLE! The thought of my baby seeing nothing but the underside of the toddler seat.... nah, not for me!

MS is supposed to be heavy, but i think thati s only when it is folded. Still love it though.

The Cosatto duet lite looks great, but cant see it being much different to the marco sky

The other cossato one is lush looking, but also a lot bigger looking meaning heavier!

With only 15 months between my 2, i think i will end up with the marco sky to be honest!

Nemo1977 Sun 10-Jul-05 17:48:28

JM my ds will just be 2 but still uses the pram a lot when out. Although some people have said get a buggy board my little demon will play me up somethign chronic especially if he is tired..lol

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 17:51:03

deffo Nemo - if jess was 2 i still wouldnt think twice about a double buggy!

Marslady has pretty much converted me to the Marco SKy, it was just a little comment lockets made about it that brought up doubts, but ill chat to her later on MSN and see what she says! She has an E3 as well and swears by it, but i think they are ugly, same as those quinny zapp single pushchairs - horrible!!!!

Nemo1977 Sun 10-Jul-05 17:53:43

mm well as i say will wait till u try it out..lol I have a friend who has twins same age as ds and she said it may be a little heavy but then so would a tandem and a double would be arkward so it is just weighing up pros n cons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now