Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Carrying high or low, can it really tell the sex of the baby?

(20 Posts)
greenbug Sat 02-Jul-05 13:06:13

Hi all,

First pregnancy, didn't ask at the 20 week scan for the sex of the baby and now everybody's been making comments about it by looking at the bump so I wish I had found out for sure. I think I am carrying low? what does that mean, some say it's a girl, some say it's a boy. The internet says it's a boy if you carry low?

From your experience can this be taken seriously?

eidsvold Sat 02-Jul-05 15:27:01

not in my case - carried two totally differently and both were girls.

Tessiebear Sat 02-Jul-05 15:54:27

Carried all three of my boys very low and out the front. My DS3 is very low at the moment as i am 3 days overdue!!!

Miaou Sat 02-Jul-05 16:10:29

Carried my first high and my second low. Both were girls. Third one (now 36 weeks) is low too - don't know the sex.

In my case it has a lot to do with muscle tone (ie lack of it after dd1!!!!)

TinyGang Sat 02-Jul-05 17:37:58

I don't think it makes a difference - my friend and I were pregnant together and were totally different shapes but we both had girls.

As others have said here, even the same person can carry differently with two different boys or girls.

fishfinger Sat 02-Jul-05 17:38:13

no

Feffi Sat 02-Jul-05 17:39:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coldtea Sat 02-Jul-05 17:48:11

I don't think it makes a difference. I carried mine both differently. I do love these theories though & found this quite accurate!

Look for the link under my name

RTKangaMummy Sat 02-Jul-05 17:51:05

Is it not more how your abdominal muscles are at the time

or how you stand /sit etc??????

I don't know cos I had twin boys and am fat and only got to 27 weeks so didn't follow any rules IYSWIM

RTKangaMummy Sat 02-Jul-05 17:54:27

Cold tea on your chart they should have been girls but they were boys

<<which is what I really really wanted>>

coldtea Sat 02-Jul-05 17:58:55

I think of all the people i've tested it on, i would say the accuracy is about 70/80%.

It has a 50% chance of being right though with no chart!!

RTKangaMummy Sat 02-Jul-05 18:01:26

That is true

I am glad it was wrong cos really really wanted boys

greenbug Sat 02-Jul-05 19:38:52

Cheers ladies,

I think I was just peeved off with the certainty with which some people declare the sex of my baby. it kind of spoils the effect of deciding not to know because then I take their word for the closest medical assesment. my PIL are visiting and my MIL said that she carried both her sons high... so from what you are all writing high or low does not indicate anything.
so does it mean that my muscles are weak then? do I need to do any exercises to tone them up?

giraffeski Sat 02-Jul-05 19:41:49

Message withdrawn

hunkermunker Sat 02-Jul-05 19:44:23

Everyone except one person said they were convinced I was having a boy - so was I. Didn't find out from the scan. I looked like I had a basketball up my top, carried relatively high and had quite a narrow sticky out the front bump rather than all round extra weight.

DS was (rather obviously!) a boy! This time, I seem to have spread all over the place already (am 12 weeks today ) and have been far more sick. Will be interesting to see if this is a girl or just a different boy - but won't find out till he or she is born! Other people can guess till their chins drop off, but the only conclusive way to know (without a test of some sort) is to actually give birth, so let them guess!

hunkermunker Sat 02-Jul-05 19:44:55

Giraffeski, babies don't lie. Nor are they manipulative. Hasn't MN taught you anything?!

giraffeski Sat 02-Jul-05 19:45:22

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Sat 02-Jul-05 19:45:33

Message withdrawn

Redhelen Sun 03-Jul-05 10:09:27

My experience is - all pregnancies are different and if you carry differently it dosn't mean a different outcome.
Think the only way to be sure is to ask at your scan (if you can) or keep an open mind.
I don't know why some people like to try to tell a pregnant women what they think she's having! I had two close freinds almost arguing over the sex of my baby recently - funny as I know what it is and I'm keeping stum! He he Helenxx

Rachey1969 Mon 04-Jul-05 12:39:05

Nope not all all - it's more to do with your stomach muscles and the position the baby's lying in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now