Talk

Advanced search

Any Heartburn cures please

(21 Posts)
dyzzidi Fri 01-Jul-05 10:14:44

I am really really suffering Gaviscon does not seem to do the trick.

I am already drinking peppermint water but is there anything else you could reccommend.

hayleylou Fri 01-Jul-05 10:15:22

Rennie chews

madmarchhare Fri 01-Jul-05 10:15:50

Pepto bismol (sp), or is that just the same as Gaviscon?

sallystrawberry Fri 01-Jul-05 10:16:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilaclotus Fri 01-Jul-05 10:16:07

i used rennies. the chewable ones are quite good.

Lonelymum Fri 01-Jul-05 10:17:58

Only the obvious:

milk

don't eat in the evening (say after 6)

eat small amounts

sit up in bed (I got good at sleeping on a big cushion)

I lived on Gaviscon when I was pg.

sallystrawberry Fri 01-Jul-05 10:23:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dyzzidi Fri 01-Jul-05 10:29:03

I thought you were not allowed rennies the pharmacist told me they were bad for baby. I do drink lots of milk already.

franke Fri 01-Jul-05 10:35:27

I've recommended this a few times and you'll probably think I'm daft but almonds really helped me. They must be shelled (!) but still with their brown skins. Just nibble a few when the heartburn comes on. Seriously - my midwife recommended them and they worked for me

dyzzidi Fri 01-Jul-05 11:11:28

will try almonds tonight thankyou.

bakedpotato Fri 01-Jul-05 11:39:18

my GP prescribed ranitidine when I was PG.

wonderpill.

lulabelle Fri 01-Jul-05 15:13:02

I too had Gaviscon, I used to keep it by the bed and drink it from the bottle my heartburn was so bad and Gaviscon did nothing! I then found the Rennie chews and they worked wonders, I would definitely recommend them!

spidermama Fri 01-Jul-05 15:15:01

After siffering fierce heartburn I completely cut out wheat and fried foods. That did the trick.

Tinker Fri 01-Jul-05 15:16:47

Rennies definitely better than Gaviscon - ok to take when pregnant, says so on packet.

lulabelle Fri 01-Jul-05 15:18:14

Rennie soft chews are safe to take when pregnant and breastfeeding see here...

http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/medicines/medicines/r/rennie/renniesoftchews.htm

lulabelle Fri 01-Jul-05 15:18:53

I don't know why that link doesn't work? But is does say they are safe when pregnant and breastfeeding - I don't take anything without checking!

expatinscotland Fri 01-Jul-05 15:22:47

My acid reflux was so bad I got an ulcer in my esophagus. I was prescribed esomeprazole b/c I was entirely unable to eat or drink w/o intense pain and bleeding.

But before that I went through the whole Rennie's, Gaviscon, Zantac course.

ChaCha Fri 01-Jul-05 16:06:49

I was seriously about to start a thread on this!!!!!

My heartburn is awful and I have never suffered from it, took me ages to work out what it was. I have tried rennies at work but no use. DH reckons i need to cut out wheat and cheese?!?

Any other remedies?

Chacha (almost 19wks)

AuntyQuated Fri 01-Jul-05 16:32:04

this works for me, not pregant but still suffers

lie almost flat on your back, raise your right hand above your head. lie like this for about 10 mins.

as soon as i lie down like this the pain/discomfort goes. after 10 mins it has almost always gone. sometimes i say it hasn't so i can lie a bit longer

JBump Wed 27-Jul-05 17:26:21

I have suffered with stomach acid problems for years and so when I found out I was pregnant a couple of week ago, I booked an appointment with my gastroenterologist at the hospital. He advised that I stay of Rinitidine (Zantac) for the first 12 weeks, then after then, use it when required. I'm guzzling gaviscon like there's no tomorrow. Soda water helps me. I'm nearly 7 weeks pg.

suzi2 Wed 27-Jul-05 18:37:02

Rennies do a liquid heartburn cure (currently BOGOF at tesco) that I think is better than gaviscon. Avoid caffiene & chocolate :-(

my heartburn got so bad that I was having osophageal spasms and they thought I had angina. But oddly enough it seems to have improved... I have a puppodum addiction and am loving soda scones - bothe have bicarb of soda in it which may be helping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now