Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever lost weight while pregnant?

(12 Posts)
Gillian76 Thu 30-Jun-05 20:13:53

I desperately want a 4th child, but am considerably overweight (about 4/5 stone). I don't think I could cope with being pregnant starting from this weight.

I originally thought I might try to shift a couple of stone before ttc. But then it occurred to me, if I ate sensibly during pregnancy, I might emerge from the other side slimmer than I am now. Does that sound bizarre?

I know you're not supposed to diet while pregnant but in the past I have eaten like a horse! Surely there must be some happy, healthy medium?

Or maybe I should just quit moaning and shift the weight first?

Nemo1977 Thu 30-Jun-05 20:17:50

Hi
with my ds i lost 2 stone at the beginnning so when i had him i actually weighed no more than when i got pregnant..i am also very overweight..i am currently 16wks pg and have lost about 10lbs so far even though i was far more sicky this time..lol Although i dont eat half as much as i did when pg with ds.

the other way i see it is that i would loose weight to put it on to then loose weight again iykwim. After this baby i am going to loose my excess weight. But then i dont plan on anymore for around 6+ yrs

Yorkiegirl Thu 30-Jun-05 20:19:29

Message withdrawn

Gillian76 Thu 30-Jun-05 20:21:29

Hi Yorkiegirl. I know you can do SW and up here Scottish Slimmers too, with mw consent.

Yorkiegirl Thu 30-Jun-05 20:43:43

Message withdrawn

Gillian76 Thu 30-Jun-05 20:50:05

I think I'd have to stick to it if I was pg! Don't know how I'd drag myself around otherwise, lol!

sallystrawberry Thu 30-Jun-05 20:52:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Thu 30-Jun-05 21:10:05

I lost a stone my first trimester whilst pregnant w/DD due to vomitting.

Although I put on 3 stone of water weight at the end, it was all gone by the time I left hospital post partum. I was virtually uanable to eat the entire pregnancy b/c after the vomitting subsided I got acid reflux so badly I developed an esophageal ulcer.

I was thinner three weeks postpartum than before I'd conceived.

Kittypickle Thu 30-Jun-05 21:21:32

I joined SW when I was pregnant but somehow managed to put on a pound and a half the first week despite following it. Unfortunetly the brilliant consultant was on holiday that week and her replacement was pretty hopeless and I felt really demotivated after the gain and gave up ( I wasn't feeling massively well which didn't help either) When I joined, the consultant was telling me that she has had a lady who went to SW whilst she was pregnant and lost just over 3 stone. I think Yorkiegirl's advice is good, start now and you'll be well in the swing of it and a good few pounds lighter by the time you become pregnant. Personally I would try to shift a couple of stone before you start trying as it does make life whilst pregnant much easier. Good luck !

joash Thu 30-Jun-05 21:39:04

I did with my third - lost over two stones whilst preggers - then another 2 dropped automatically due to giving birth. There is no reason that you can't diet whilst pregnant, just as long as you eat healthily and make sure you get any nutrients, etc that you need.

kama Thu 30-Jun-05 21:48:42

Message withdrawn

Laura032004 Thu 30-Jun-05 22:44:01

I used to be a SW consultant, and you can def follow it whilst pg, as it is a healthy eating plan, not a diet, and as such, you won't lose weight whilst following it, unless your body is carrying excess weight IYKWIM.

I'd think it is healthier to lose weight whilst pg, if following a sensible diet, than to be pg and give birth whilst overweight.

I lost 5st before falling pg, and am so glad I did, because I put it all back on whilst pg, so would hate to think what weight I'd have been if I'd not started out at the lower weight.

Followed SW afterwards though, and lost the weight again Can't recommend it highly enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now