Talk

Advanced search

PLEASE ANSWER IF YOU CAN!

(18 Posts)
lovecloud Wed 29-Jun-05 20:18:27

I have been on a few threads recently about myself and sister, i think i maybe pregnant and bought some early detect tests off ebay, i got a negative. my sister is coming over now to test, she is getting married next week and has just had jabs as she is flying to thailand for honeymoon. she is over two late and is worried if she is pregnant that the jabs may damage the child. i told her to come over to use one of my tests. just wanted to know if anyone has any advice i can give her if she is pregnant! does anyone know the effects the jabs can have on an unborn child. when she went for them about one month ago they asked her and she said no. she is worried please help.
she will be here soon.

Gobbledigook Wed 29-Jun-05 20:20:24

What jabs did she have?

LIZS Wed 29-Jun-05 20:25:57

I had a booster for Hepatitis A at around the time ds was conceived but was assured, when I realised, by dr it was ok .

PrettyCandles Wed 29-Jun-05 20:31:04

How late would she have been when she had the jabs? I don't know for how long the jabs affect the body (as opposed to the immunity, which is sort of background noise), but for the first week or two after conception the embryo has no direct with the mother's body. Even after it implants it is self-sufficient for a couple of weeks until the placenta forms and makes the connection with the mother's bloodstream. Until the the embryo takes it nutrition from a yolk-sack, nto from the mother. This, if I'm not mistaken, is why you can get plastered before you realise you're pg and not harm the baby.

PrettyCandles Wed 29-Jun-05 20:32:14

"has no direct connection with the mother's body", sorry, missed out a word

lovecloud Wed 29-Jun-05 20:32:38

Hello

Not 100%, when she told me she was 10 days overdue, I was so excited and told her to do a test. She said she would love to be pregnant but is worried about the effect of the jabs (did not say which) she is going to Thailand so I guess she would of had hepatitus, polio and thyphoid - i think, just trying to remember what i had when i went.

she did do a test back then and it was negative but she told me today that she drank two big glasses of water and it was in the middle of the day, plus she may of done it wrong. Now she is over two weeks with sore boobs. I really think she is although her periods may well be just delayed because of the stress and excitment of getting married.
is it dangerous?

lovecloud Wed 29-Jun-05 20:35:21

Pretty candles, not 100% about that... actually I dont think she was late, it was before she was due. i will have to ask her. i just wanted to be ready for when she comes and does the test, if its positive i know she will get really upset and worried so if i know the facts i will be able to calm her down. if she is, it is her first baby, i am her youngest sister and have one child so i will be sooooooooooooo happy if she is, she wants children so badly!!!!!!!!!!!

PrettyCandles Wed 29-Jun-05 20:45:12

I'm no expert, but I should think that if she had the jabs before she was due, then she should be fine. AFAIK most of the 'no vaccinations during pregnancy' rules come from the fact that, for ethical reasons, the jabs haven't been tested on pregnant humans, rather than from proven harm. Relax and enjoy the ride .

bigdonna Wed 29-Jun-05 21:01:30

when i went to gambia i was told by doctor not to get pregnant for 3 mths until finished taking maleria tablets,is she taking any of these?

lovecloud Wed 29-Jun-05 21:32:17

no she is not taking maleria

just told me on the phone... running late

that she had hepatitus, tetanus and polio

her last period was 5th May, her ovulating date would have been around the 18th May, she had her jabs the 9th June... which would mean the feotus would have been around 3 weeks!

kid Wed 29-Jun-05 21:38:17

I took malaria tablets when I was expecting DD. The Dr knew I was pregnant but the consequences of contracting malaria outweighed the risk of taking the tablets.

I also had hepatitus and typhoid injections early in the pregnancy but found out before I had the polio so did haven't those drops (advised by Dr not to)

DD turned out just fine

PrettyCandles Thu 30-Jun-05 10:27:28

I think she's still OK but if it really worries her she should talk to the doctor. As you can see, none of us really know. Of course, were I in her position I'd also be anxious! It's perfectly natural to be.

BEKsmum Thu 30-Jun-05 11:25:03

Lovecloud, you could always try ringing NHS Direct and ask them if they know, their number is 0845 46 47.

Hope the news is good for her whichever way it goes and that she has a great wedding!

LIZS Thu 30-Jun-05 11:44:18

Think it is usually a practice nurse who give the travel injections so perhaps she could speak to her. Unless she was specifically asked about pregnancy before the jabs were given (think I was advised to avoid getting pg whilst on the malaria tablets and for so long afterwards for example) it is probably ok but worth checking for peace of mind. This site advises on travel health in pregnancy.

LIZS Thu 30-Jun-05 11:47:29

Not sure ht elink worked ! It is the Masta site(www.masta.org) under Travel Health Library/ Special risk groups/Pregnancy
here

BEKsmum Fri 01-Jul-05 11:46:27

Lovecloud, how did your sister get on?

lovecloud Sat 02-Jul-05 17:24:02

Got a BFN - I was a bit gutted, really want her to have baby but like she said it was for the best as she would of worried the whole way through.

She has started to take folic acid and will try next month. But her period has still not started.
I think its wedding nerves.

x

BEKsmum Sun 03-Jul-05 21:35:35

Awww sorry to hear that, but at least she can get on and enjoy the wedding now without worrying and she can have a lot more fun on honeymoon practicising.

Hope you have a great time next weekend and here's to you being an auntie soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now